• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • Member No: 32842
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Spent 3-4 hours taking out the motor, replacing the coil and replacing motor. Started immediately.

At some point I'd taken off the hood, and put it back on, while running, and it would stop running as I attempted to tighten the left rear hood knob. I lifted it up and it would keep running...Now won't start. No spark.

Sounds to me like the voltage regulator posts stick up too high and touch the hood and shorted it all out.

@#$%^&^%$# Thanks AC designer, for that...$33 and a full afternoon wasted. 

#2 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Never had that trouble with mine...There was plenty of clearance. Something is amiss on yours. Any photos? Btw: simplicity designed the B10. I am not sure how that would short out the ignition regardless.

Edited by skunkhome, April 14, 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Not sure if it related but, my Homelite did the same thing. This was several years ago, put new plug points, cond in and started up right away, close the hood and it quit. Found out I had gotten a longer plug and it shorted out against the hood????? Cleaned the old plug put it in and at that time it ran great.  

• Alc and chris m have said thanks

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Okay, I'm confused.  If your B10 is anything like my HB112 under the hood, and I suspect it is, then the back left bolt screws into, well, nothing.  The regulator is in the middle of the hood, on the right side of the fire wall behind the engine.  I'm going to say "DITTO" to Hamman's post.  Spark plug is touching the hood.  (He beat me to it as I had to go out & get photos.)

Engine bay 1.jpg engine bay 2.jpg Engine bay 3.jpg

• hamman said thank you

#5 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:27 PM

The hood is definitely attached differently on the B10, Big Ten, B12, and late B10 as the hood bolts stayed attached to the dash tower. There are many a round top missing hoods because they blew off while being transported. It is much harder to loose the hood on the flat tops but the setup of the regulator is basically the same. I am thinking that some how he might have grounded the kill wire that goes to the key switch. It could be that the plug is too tall but that would not permenately damage the ignition any more than turning off the ignition.

#6 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 09:28 PM

The new coil and wire comes with a new spark boot, which I used, and no, the plug is not too tall and the boot prevents any contact with the hood. The VR is the highest part of the under-hood mechanisms, I'll have to check it when I get home tomorrow.  It kills me because I have an 8n and once my coil wire came in contact with the exh. manifold and that stopped it cold and wreaked havoc with the system. Seems I ended up putting in a new coil.  Me and coils...

Also just looked under the hood thru the grille and no, the VR posts cannot touch the hood. Something in the dash must be shorting out the LR hood post as that's when it happened.  *Sigh* taking off dash to check is next I guess.

Edited by eriklane, April 14, 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#7 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 629 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Okay, I'm confused.  If your B10 is anything like my HB112 under the hood, and I suspect it is, then the back left bolt screws into, well, nothing.  The regulator is in the middle of the hood, on the right side of the fire wall behind the engine.  I'm going to say "DITTO" to Hamman's post.  Spark plug is touching the hood.  (He beat me to it as I had to go out & get photos.)

attachicon.gifEngine bay 1.jpgattachicon.gifengine bay 2.jpgattachicon.gifEngine bay 3.jpg

Not trying to be nit picker but your photos scare me. you've got hot wire strapped and laying on threads of tank straps  after a while motor vibrations on threads acts like file and eats trough insulation. Same for the power cable under ground cable zip tie the power cable  on top of the ground . Or split some corded air line to put on top of heat shield plate.Every thing just to close to gas cap.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#8 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 10:20 PM

I

The new coil and wire comes with a new spark boot, which I used, and no, the plug is not too tall and the boot prevents any contact with the hood. The VR is the highest part of the under-hood mechanisms, I'll have to check it when I get home tomorrow.  It kills me because I have an 8n and once my coil wire came in contact with the exh. manifold and that stopped it cold and wreaked havoc with the system. Seems I ended up putting in a new coil.  Me and coils...

Also just looked under the hood thru the grille and no, the VR posts cannot touch the hood. Something in the dash must be shorting out the LR hood post as that's when it happened.  *Sigh* taking off dash to check is next I guess.

Try tracking the small black wire back from the points box going to the keyed switch. That would be my number one suspect. I would not be surprised if it were pinched and grounding out some point along the route.

#9 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:01 AM

Not trying to be nit picker but your photos scare me. you've got hot wire strapped and laying on threads of tank straps  after a while motor vibrations on threads acts like file and eats trough insulation. Same for the power cable under ground cable zip tie the power cable  on top of the ground . Or split some corded air line to put on top of heat shield plate.Every thing just to close to gas cap.

Good eye.  Wiring is next on the massive list of repairs.  I left the original wiring intact so I could work from a "known good" point.  If I couldn't get the engine to run, I'd always be second guessing the rewiring job.  

#10 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:22 PM

I do have one question. The coil has 1 black long wire-and that goes to the screw in the back of the shroud. It also has a bare, small, shorter wire-where does that go?

#11 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 629 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 10:36 PM

If you have flywheel coil the bare wire should grounded right to one of the mounting bolts on the coil. Is there anything close to the shroud that touches hood when down? 

Edited by gopher, April 15, 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#12 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 09:00 PM

That's in fact where I did put the wire when I put it back together, kind of intuitive...I don't see anything that could be touching the hood. I'm on vac, so when I get back, will take the test light to it and see if I can find the short somewhere in the dash, or, the wire from the points as another poster mentioned. I've already checked all wiring I could see, now to check the ones I can't.  And it hit me while flying today, maybe the fuse blew?  Will check that also...

#13 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Back from vac...took hood off and she started right up. Ran without the hood fine. Checked all around for shorts (without removing the dash) and even put the hood back on while running. No shutdown. So, I didn't blow the coil after all...glad.  Now looking for a drive belt since I promptly snapped that.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you