Nice!!!!!!!

#17 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 07:15 PM

Wow, you were right when you told me about it today! It came out amazing! i'm sure its gonna be perfect for plowing.

#18 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 09:28 PM

Thanks Alex... I almost brought it along today to show you, but didn't feel like pulling it off!

PS, I had thought that the weight box "could" be used if I made a custom 3PH and attached the top link to the box! But my plan really is to use this just for the snow-plow. When all is said and done, this tractor, reborn as the narrow front conversion, will be the one that uses the hitch and this weight will go onto the hydro. Boy, will I be pissed if that rear frame is not the same on the hydro!

#19 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 09:37 PM

Thanks Alex... I almost brought it along today to show you, but didn't feel like pulling it off!

PS, I had thought that the weight box "could" be used if I made a custom 3PH and attached the top link to the box! But my plan really is to use this just for the snow-plow. When all is said and done, this tractor, reborn as the narrow front conversion, will be the one that uses the hitch and this weight will go onto the hydro. Boy, will I be pissed if that rear frame is not the same on the hydro!

The rear 1/3 of the frame is different, Hydra to VariDrive, wether the rear plate is in the same spot in relation to the rear wheels??? it's got to be close

#20 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 09:53 PM

Yea, I saw that... major changes there. I just went and took a peek at it, and it is taller for sure, in fact the entire back of the tractor sits higher at the seat. However it looks like the top holes are lower too. Worst case, I am not against having to drill two holes for the weight box if I need to, but some rough measurements seem to show all the holes are where they should be. What I did not know about the hydro's is that the top of the fenders sit 2" higher than the gear driven tractors. With a straight edge sitting on the fenders with the seat flipped up, the geared tractor is 25.5" and the hydro is 27.5". The inside of the seat pan is the same height it seems, so that frame must be 2" taller above the holes. That is not a problem at all, I will just have more room above the weight box.

#21 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 12:30 PM

i have a 12h seat pan if you want one

#22 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 24, 2010 - 01:37 PM

Yea, I saw that... major changes there. I just went and took a peek at it, and it is taller for sure, in fact the entire back of the tractor sits higher at the seat. However it looks like the top holes are lower too. Worst case, I am not against having to drill two holes for the weight box if I need to, but some rough measurements seem to show all the holes are where they should be. What I did not know about the hydro's is that the top of the fenders sit 2" higher than the gear driven tractors. With a straight edge sitting on the fenders with the seat flipped up, the geared tractor is 25.5" and the hydro is 27.5". The inside of the seat pan is the same height it seems, so that frame must be 2" taller above the holes. That is not a problem at all, I will just have more room above the weight box.

Pictures of the differences http://www.gttalk.co...t-hieghts-2514/

Attached Thumbnails

• masseys 012.jpg
  • masseys 008.jpg
  • masseys 009.jpg

#23 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 25, 2010 - 01:00 PM

Very nice fabricating job!

#24 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 09:15 PM

Well, it's getting very close to being done now! Today I melted up all the lead I had and I just need another 3" to top it off. To melt this much lead, I cut open the top of a freon can (maybe 3 gallon?) but left 2/3 of the top intact. This gave me the handle to slip a pipe through and two people could lift it. I then cut a piece of pipe and welded it to the cut opening as a spout. On the back and towards the bottom I welded on a length of pipe. The freon bottle was filled with lead and placed in my fire pit outside with a heavy fire built around it. I added in all my lead at the same time and let it cook. Once it was melted, my oldest son and I lifted it out of the fire pit and started to pour. The pour spout worked great, the clips kinda stayed against the lip and the lead flowed out the spout. I am VERY glad we did the pour in the back of my trailer cart because the metal of the can ripped apart where the pipe handle was welded on and dumped lead into the trailer! I was able to save the pour and get the rest in the box. What spilled was re-melted in my cast iron pan and poured in as well. Again, it seemed like a 50% reduction in mass once the lead is melted and the clips removed. It's amazing how much the clips and shape of the weights take up!

Anyway, it's heavy enough that I can just lift it up, but not really move it around (at least with my back!) I just need to find another 5 gallon bucket of weights and I will be golden! That will give me enough left over to fill the box and make some extra weight bars. If I can not, it probably weighs about what I had on the tractor last year, so I hardly feel "short" on weight as is! I did some measurements and due to the way I cut out the metal stock and welded it together, I miscalculated the size of the box a hair... it's really 3.75" thick. I ran the weight again based on 6.55 oz per cubic inch and came up with 150.44 (less the box) right now, and room for another 70lbs when done. This will give me about 220lbs less the box, so I will be over the 225lb range, but not quite to the 250lbs I had planned on. I will still be more than happy with 225lbs though!

Anyway, just a couple shots from today... I was too busy to grab photos on the melting process, or the pour... but I just took a couple of the can that I tossed together. What is funny, is that the weld on the pour spout is amazing and perfect... Now if that was something I wanted to look perfect and awesome, it would never come out so nice! LOL

Not much new to look at, it just has some lead in it now.
Weight-Box-19.jpg

Here is the can I tossed together to melt it all down in. It the rear handle had not broken, it would of worked flawless! The heat from the camp fire made short work of the lead in one batch. If I had not melted 40lbs down before I poured, I would think three loads in this can would of been enough to fill the box. Once the fire was going, it was maybe 30 minutes later that all my lead was melted.
Weight-box-20.jpg

I think it was a combination of the weight and high heat that made this fail. I plan to make a patch for it, and a gusset as well. With all luck, it will be enough to survive one more pour.
Weight-Box-21.jpg

A weld this good on something that will be thrown away when I am done... what a shame!
Weight-Box-22.jpg

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#25 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:23 PM

Well, I finished filling the weight box today with lead. I picked up another bucket and melted it all down today which gave me an extra 40lbs in ingots. I still plan to pick up some more and melt it down. I still need to build a custom weight for the front, and maybe someday I may pour some wheel weights that mount on the inside of the rims.

Anyway, for now, the main weight box is finished! I had to put a thin coat of body filler to smooth the transition from lead to the steel hitch plate so that the rust does not form in at the edge of the lead. The bottom is now done and in primer. The next step will be to flip it over, hoist it up with the chain fall and prime the rest of it! (And then paint.....)

Here are the latest shots! I will post up just how much it really weighs soon!
Weight-box-23.jpg

Weight-box-24.jpg

Weight-box-26.jpg

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 11:14 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#26 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 08:21 PM

Ta-da!!

Well, it did end up being a little under what I had planned, but between cutting out the side panels and the way it was welded, the thickness was really 3.75"-ish not 4" as I wanted it to be. But given the miscalculation in the box size, it is about what I figured once my error was noticed.

She weighs in just a tick over 225lbs! :dancingbanana:
Posted Image
  • Aldon said thank you

#27 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 01:02 PM

Good deal; that'll work!

#28 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 11:21 PM

One more thread bump with fixed photo's so everyone can see it again, enjoy!

• KennyP said thank you

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted June 30, 2014 - 04:07 AM