FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 16, 2010 - 09:53 AM

Last night I started in on my weight box to fit the back of my Massey Ferguson. I tweaked my original design a little to have a better looking box and to have it mount better. My final size will be 14" wide, 10" tall, and 4" deep. Given this box, less the weight of the box itself... I am at 231 lbs filled with melted lead without the weight of the box itself, which will be an easy 20lbs. I am re-using part of a snow plow frame that will be perfect for a trailer hitch welded to the bottom of the box.

I have the main box all welded up and I just need to cut out the plate that will close in the top. The box was made from four pieces because it was way too thick to bend. Next I need to mock up the box to the tractor so that I can drill the holes that will be sleeved for the top mounting bolts. There are two holes in the frame that I will use to secure it at the top. On the bottom, it will sit on the stock trailer hitch. There two bolts will bolt my plow bracket through the stock hitch and into threaded holes in the bottom of the weight box.
One the box is welded up and ground down nice and smooth, the lead will be melted and poured around the hitch plate on the bottom. This way you really don't see the lead, but just the nice smooth square box. I also plan to notch the hitch plate into the box so that it is flush, before I weld it in place.

Weight-box-1.jpg

Weight-box-2.jpg

Weight-box-3.jpg

Then today, I was able to get a little more done... I still need to drill the other holes in the front of the box so that I can weld in my sleeve for the bolt and I also need to add a strap from the rear of the box towards the front of the hitch plate. That curve is right where I need to tap holes to bolt my plow bracket through the stock hitch plate. Just a little more metal to grab, I don't want my front bolt to be tapped into pure lead!

Weight-box-5.jpg

Weight-box-6.jpg

Weight-box-7.jpg

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 11:04 PM.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 16, 2010 - 09:11 PM

Looks pretty compact, won't stick out or get in the way.
Do you have pictures of what it looks like on the tractor?

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 17, 2010 - 12:02 AM

Soon I should have a couple posted when I mock it up on my tractor itself. Right now I have been mocking it on the spare frame I will be building the row-crop on. My next step is to turn a pair of sleeves with a 1/4" thick head/washer facing the frame. These sleeves will be welded through the box and allow me to run carriage bolts through the box and into the factory tiller bracket mount holes. The sleeves will have a head with beveled corners that face the back of the box. The bevel will keep down some damage, and the head will space it away from the frame to keep any damage down a bit.

The 4" deep box will not stick out past the tires, or even close to it. I think it only sticks past the seat box by about 2". Even the trailer hitch should be behind the tires still The width is just a hair wider than the top of the frame width (maybe .25" on each side) and will be about .25" below the seat pan.

Once I get those sleeves welded in place, I will be taking my plow bracket off so that I can bolt it to my tractor and drill the holes to bolt the plow bracket to the box. I will take the photos at that time of what it will look like on the tractor.

#4 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 08:36 AM

Looking good so far!

#5 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 07:05 PM

Well, just another small update. It's hard to get all that much done on a weeknight, but I was able to turn one of the sleeves on my lathe tonight and get it welded into the box. I also cut out the plate of steel for the top once the other sleeve is welded in.

The sleeve is welded inside the box, and at the front of the box (facing outward) I beveled the hole and the end of the sleeve so that it could be welded from the outside and ground flush. At the back of the box, I left a 1/4" thick "washer/spacer" with a beveled edge to keep the box away from the frame itself.

Weight-box-8.jpg

Weight-box-9.jpg

And this photo gives your an idea about the room to fit that much weight into the box... The pie-pan round weights are 5lbs each and the flat block is 25lbs. 200+ appears to be an easy goal! These pre-melted ones will be placed inside the box when it gets welded shut. That will be a good 35lb of lead that I do not have to remelt later!

Weight-box-10.jpg

The more I look at this, and the more I think about it... I believe that I may put an eye bolt dead center in the top before I weld the top in. Because the box is pretty even, it can be lifted from that point better than my old plans. If I leave the thread long, and put a washer locked to the end of the thread, the lead will lock it in and lift the block itself, not the box. That will make it much easier to mount & remove!

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#6 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 12:38 AM

Is that 10ga. you're building that with? Sure like the way it looks, good job.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 04:32 AM

Very nice fab work.:thumbs:

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 06:35 AM

LOL, yes... it is 10ga steel in fact. My brother in law gave me this sheet that was under a bar top. It was about 18" and 6' long. All the parts to this had to be cut out with my 4.5" grinder and a cut off disk. The nice thing is that there was not any warping when it was welded together.

I should of taken a shot of what it looks like with top plate sitting on it to cap the top off... it really looks nice with that!

#9 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 02:10 PM

You weld a lot nicer than I do!

#10 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 10:27 PM

All the parts to this had to be cut out with my 4.5" grinder and a cut off disk.

That was fun. I am a retired sheet metal worker and I guess I'm spoiled. Quarter inch or less I just go to the shop I used to work at and shear it with a step on the peddle. You do nice work.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 04:29 AM

That was fun. I am a retired sheet metal worker and I guess I'm spoiled. Quarter inch or less I just go to the shop I used to work at and shear it with a step on the peddle. You do nice work.

I'll tell you,a plasma cutter works really nice too,I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 06:15 AM

You do some nice fab work and it is the same way I cut everything right now until I ever get enough money saved up to buy a plasma cutter.

#13 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 12:42 PM

Man, I would LOVE a plasma cutter! However, the 4.5" grinder does an amazing job all the way around.

Well, I am pretty much all set to start melting lead down! The box is all done now with the exception that I think I am going to make a bushing at the trailer hitch. This will make it a bit thicker and let the trailer hitch only wear the paint on the bushing, not on the whole tongue. Anyway, the box is all welded up and ground down now. after a test fit, I found that I had to ditch my plan to install an eye-bolt on the top, the box is almost flush! I will make stands to set it on and then just back up to it.

So, here are the latest photos.... Now that I see it, I plan to paint it gray to match the frame. I have to wait until all the lead is poured in first. For now, I just have 40lbs of pre-melted lead in the box. All the edges of the 10ga steel were beveled and bead welded. This allowed me to grind them flush, and still have some good welds.

Weight-Box-12.jpg

Weight-Box-13.jpg

I too this time to round off the edges of my plow bracket from last year. This will bolt through the factory hitch bracket and bolt the box down.
Weight-Box-14.jpg

And now onto the mounted up photos that you all want to see, right? :smilewink:
Oh yea... now THAT is exactly what I was looking for!
Weight-Box-15.jpg

Good planing gives me weight box that is almost flush, in fact I really thought it would stick out more, but I am very happy with this!
Weight-Box-16.jpg

Just enough space so I can get it on there without damage to the paint.
Weight-Box-17.jpg

Now this was just dumb luck, but I did put a straight edge against the end of the hitch and it's exactly flush with the tires!
Weight-Box-18.jpg

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 11:09 PM.

• Aldon said thank you

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 01:03 PM

Very nice job.:thumbs:

#15 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 04:24 PM

Looking good very compact, only disadvantage is can't use the factory rear lift but if you don't need that it doesn't matter.
I was wondering how you were going to attach it at the bottom but your pictures show how. Good stuff.
BTW how much to build one full of lead and ship to Canada???

:bigrofl::bigrofl: