• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wade M OFFLINE  

Wade M
  • Member No: 21230
  • 65 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:39 AM

Hear is the problem and I know someone either solved or will come up with the answer.  I have a Jac with a spring loaded thumb button to release the pin to reposition my attachments.  I need this thumb button to stay depressed in order to plow. After my first plow experiance i found I have to solve this.  I also have to create a T type handle for control while plowing.  My idea it to fab a handle similar to a wagon (radio flyer) handle. Remove the current grip and thread the handle tube.  That still leaves me with the issue of keeping the thumb button depressed.  But it has to quick release for when I reach the end of the field so I can lock the plow in the up position.

Attached Thumbnails

• t65.JPG
  • t64.JPG

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:50 AM

We had something similar to that when I worked on aircraft.  It was a double T handle affair.  The lower T is welded to the outer shaft & is stationary.  The second T is welded to the top of the button.  To operate it, you rapped your fingers around the lower T & your palm on the upper T, then just close your hand.  When you are done, you let go and the button pops back up.  

double t handle.jpeg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, April 14, 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,284 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Why do you have to have the button held in? Are you continually raising and lowering the plow while its plowing? If so, I'd say the plow isn't adjusted right.

• Wade M said thank you

#4 timtractor ONLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:10 AM

On the older Cub Cadets they drill a small through hole towards the the top of the lift handle and then install this flip bail piece to keep the button pushed in when you want the deck to float when mowing.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item35c659c6eb

• Alc said thank you

#5 Wade M OFFLINE  

Wade M
  • 65 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 01:14 PM

Doug T,

I am sure there is some adjusting to do also, but the problem is once the plow is set down and the pin locks in I would catch a rock or something and the plow would high center and i would loose traction. It is not a heavy tractor. I was getting a good bite and going along most of the time, but every once in a while this would happen.

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 02:07 PM

Wade on my Jac like yours someone drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole in the lift arm just below the button. Then they welded a allen wrench to an allen cap crew. I was going to remove it and fill the hole, but it actually works real good lol.

But, a T-handle would be nice, I'll have to give this one a little thought.

• Wade M said thank you

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 03:18 PM

If the problem is simply that the plow raises unexpectedly, can you not just replace your lift rods with some chain?

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, April 14, 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#8 Wade M OFFLINE  

Wade M
  • 65 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 05:02 PM

Chris M,

I cut the grip down 1" from the top.  I am going to get a 7/8" split collar tomorrow.  I will tig weld a couple pieces of round or square stock to the split collar halves. That will give me the bottom part of the T handle.  I drilled the center of the button and tapped 1/4" - 20 threads. I figure I'll mount the top T to the button.  I'll drill a small hole out towards the end and make a bale clip that I can flip with my thumb.

• chris m said thank you

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 05:05 PM

Chris M,

I cut the grip down 1" from the top.  I am going to get a 7/8" split collar tomorrow.  I will tig weld a couple pieces of round or square stock to the split collar halves. That will give me the bottom part of the T handle.  I drilled the center of the button and tapped 1/4" - 20 threads. I figure I'll mount the top T to the button.  I'll drill a small hole out towards the end and make a bale clip that I can flip with my thumb.

Sounds like a great idea to me! try and post some pictures when your done :D :thumbs: