#1 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,232 Thanks
  • 7,465 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:02 AM

What is your favorite variety of tomatoes? How about your other vegetables? Do you have any family hand me down seeds?

It seems that I've never found a tomato better than BETTER BOY for my area. Late Blight is bad here and BB mostly stands up to it.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:17 AM

I like to plant Celebrity, Roma, and Brandywine. The Celebrity, are a good all around variety, the Romas I use to make sauce, and the Brandywines, are probably the best eating tomatoe I have ever found. The Brandys are a "potato leaf" variety, and don't make a pretty tomatoe, but they are the perfect size for BLT's. NOTE: Celebrity's are a good tomatoe for fried green tomatoes. YUMMM!!!

For corn I like bodacious, green beans I like Roma II.

Most others I don't really have a preference.

Now hen it comes to peppers, I like Jalapeño, and I just pick a couple of others that look good. I like to dry them on a screen in the back yard and crush them up. I can most of my Jalapeño

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:44 AM

For outright flavour I prefer Heirloom varieties (like The Brandywine). Jo puts up a lot of sauces, Spaghetii, Chilie Base, stewed tomatoes etc. So Roma takes up most of the tomato area.

"The one I most remeber from my childhood is Rutger.

True Rutger is no more according to Ruger Univ.

"While no longer grown commercially, the Rutgers tomato remained popular, especially with home gardeners. Selections of the Rutgers tomato are available through many home garden seed catalogs. However, when Rutgers was released by the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station, Professor L. Schermerhorn invited and encouraged seedsmen to continue selecting for true types in their seed fields. Thus, the original Rutgers tomato line is long lost, and all the seeds sold today are derivative selections, possibly even different cultivars, from the original. We do not have original seed maintained here at the Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station."

There are always several varieties of hot and sweet peppers.

#4 bja105 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:37 PM

I don't have a favorite tomato, yet.  This year I started Amish Paste  and Roma for sauce.  The others are Marglobe and a purple cherrry, both first timers.  I also have some unknown variety a friend brought from Europe, it looks like a Brandywine.

I have had no success with bought pepper seedlings.  This year I started four varieties, plus eggplant and tomatillo, all new to me.

Here is a good variety review and comparison site I found.  One of many great resources from Cornell. 

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 04:19 PM

looking at the ones Jo has marked brandywine pink,mr stripey, black. Krim, red zebra, green zebra, sun gold, red lightning that's just a few of the tomatoes. I am sure there will be several dozen Tomas

#6 maggiewaggie OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33136
  • 34 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 05:09 PM

I can't garden anymore but up until 2 yrs ago we put out 100 tomato plants a year. For half of them, we used our own hybrids and they were huge, very meaty, blight resistant. Each plant was numbered, labeled, and production and quality of fruit tracked. Seed was saved from the best and then only used if the parent plant's location was not near plants that were undesirable and if it held up well to summer heat. For the remainder of the tomato patch we had goldens, cherry, pear cherry, Burpee Long Keeper, Burpee Supersteak, hoghearts, and a few Roma. I tried a few others but was careful not to pollute our hybrid patch. A lot of friends benefited from our extra plants. Canning was almost a daily affair from mid July til welcome frost. I had 7 pressure canners, all old and heavy, and have given all but 2 away.
For beans, we planted enough row green beans to eat early season but preferred pole beans. Our favorites were Christmas Lima Beans, a very big, productive, red striped bean with a nutty taste.
Squash were crushaw, part of the pumpkin family, that bear 40 lb squash that can be prepared in many ways.
  • KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks