OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 04:19 AM

Thought I'd ask this before it slipped my mind.

When I was trying to get the 1886FL started I found that it wasn't pumping fuel.  So, I rigged up a small fuel tank and was using it to gravity feed the carb, but still no go.

Since the K482 has a fuel pump, could it be that gravity feed won't work and that the carb needs some pressure in the fuel line to work?

#2 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 06:32 AM

It should run on gravity feed. Check to make sure the needle is not stuck in the seat inside the carburetor. I use to take compressed air and blow it in the fuel line to get the needle to drop and allow fuel flow. You may want to limit air pressure though. Not sure is 100psi is a good idea.

As always though check for spark too.  

Edited by bread320i, April 14, 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:20 AM

It has spark, and will fire on ether, it just won't continue to run on gas.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:34 AM

It should run on gravity feed. Check to make sure the needle is not stuck in the seat inside the carburetor. I use to take compressed air and blow it in the fuel line to get the needle to drop and allow fuel flow. You may want to limit air pressure though. Not sure is 100psi is a good idea.

As always though check for spark too.  

I'll second on the pressure.  Floats do collapse when you pressurize a carburetor.  Don't ask, I won't tell.

Gravity feed will get the job done.  If you aren't getting fuel that way, I'd say a new needle and seat valve would be in order. 

I always give the engine a little squirt of fuel into the manifold/air horn when it needs to start after years of sitting.  If it fires a few times and quits, you know compression is close to good, spark is probably okay, and any problems exist in the carburetor or fuel system.

Ben W.

#5 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:50 AM

Is there fuel in the bowl? If there is than you have a clogged jet or air passage. If there isn't than the needle and seat.