#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I was given a Simplicity 7014 S that had a stuck rearend a few years ago. It had a good mower and the engine had been running. I brought it home and put it in the garage and was going to fix it to use. It is the same frame and tractor basicly as my Homelite T-16H. In the meantime I bought a couple more Homelite T-16 H to make one more good tractor out of.  Both had been rode hard and put away wet. The second one I got from a fellow in MO. and it had a trip dozer blade with it. It also had a rear lift kit on complete. I have a Homelite dozer blade for my T-16 so I was going to use it for the Simplicity. I freed up the rear of the Simp and almost got the engine running before it got way to cold to work on it in the garage. My BILs GT gave up the ghost so he was without. I told him he could have the Simp if he wanted and could get it running. He said he would take it and in no time he got it running and was mowing with it. He was given a MW (mtd) with dozer blade and bagger system but to use the blade in the winter it is a pain to take the deck off and a pain to put the blade on. I told him he could have the Homelite blade to use on the Simp. Today we took it over and in a few minutes he had the sub frame on and the blade attached, he was amazed how quick it would go on. Put in  two pins and four clips and it was on and ready to use. We have gotten about 3 1/2" of wet heavy snow in the last couple of days and it was a bugger to push,  but the Simp did it with the aid of my Homelite chains. Here is a couple of pictures of the tractor and blade. sawmisc 034.JPG DSCF1528.JPG

I didn't take any today of him using it. DIdn't have a camera with me. He has done a lot for us in the last 20 yrs so my giving him this tractor was not a problem. My only complaint about the whole deal is that he put a" danged JD seat on it."    Thanks. Roger

• KennyP, Cvans, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Nice to do good :thumbs:

• hamman said thank you

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:13 PM

that JD seat raised the value by $200 at least.

• hamman said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:20 PM

that JD seat raised the value by $200 at least.

You forgot the decimal point in front of the 2, I think. 

Ben W.

• hamman and alec have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Nice. I wish that my brothers in law had been even close to your standard. The more that I play with my AC and Simplicities the more that I love their designers.

• hamman said thank you

#6 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:27 PM

That's.... why there is a bag over the seat in the picture :D

That is a nice looking Simplicity! And that was even nicer that you gave it to your BIL :thumbs:

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Actually the bag in the picture is full of lawn furniture pads. It was taken before I gave it to him. It is a good looking tractor. I'm not sure that the value estimate after the JD seat is right. It may have made it depreciate a bit. We need to find a headlight assy for it and it should be good to go. Thanks. Roger.

• chris m said thank you

#8 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 04:58 AM

Good of you to give your BIL such a nice looking 7014S!

Don't know why Simplicity labeled it 7014 and advertised it as having a 14 hp engine, when they all came with a 16 hp. Looks like it should have been labeled 7016.

• hamman said thank you

#9 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Good of you to give your BIL such a nice looking 7014S!

Don't know why Simplicity labeled it 7014 and advertised it as having a 14 hp engine, when they all came with a 16 hp. Looks like it should have been labeled 7016.

Greg I was under the impression that the engine had a different carb or head or something to detune it to 14 hp. If it is a misnomer then it is not the first as the 3414 with 13 hp engine should be a 3413. I figured that it was a matter of superstition that they got over in time for the 7013 to come along.
  • hamman said thank you

#10 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 03:33 AM

Greg I was under the impression that the engine had a different carb or head or something to detune it to 14 hp. If it is a misnomer then it is not the first as the 3414 with 13 hp engine should be a 3413. I figured that it was a matter of superstition that they got over in time for the 7013 to come along.

For the 1978 model year, the 7014S had the same engine as the 7016-6 Speed and the 7016H. The engine was model 326437 and type 0252-01. If there was any difference in engine parts, the engines would have different type numbers. Also, at the time, Briggs didn't offer anything in between the 10 hp and 16 hp, cast iron engines. The 13, 14, and 15 hp cast iron engines were out of production by then. 

Simplicity continued using 16 hp Briggs engines in their 1979, '80 and '81 model 7114S. They changed to a 14 hp Kohler engine for the 1982 model year of the 7114S.

I can only guess that Simplicity wanted to keep offering tractors in three price ranges with the Landlord, Baron and Sovereign names, and you know Simplicity always used hp as the reason for the different names. 

• hamman and skunkhome have said thanks

#11 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Greg, thanks, I did not know that. I knew thay were all 32 CID engines but did not know the types were the same. That was the kind of things AC was doing on their big tractors. They would come in with a new flag ship model with x horsepower then 6 months later market another tractor with the same engine but with an advertised x-5 hp to fill in a horsepower gap and to compete price wise with a competitor's tractor. Some say they were detuned but they may have been identical.
  • hamman said thank you

#12 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 08:48 AM

I know this engine has the same head on it that the 16hp briggs I have. It also has teh same carb on it. I was told by Briggs and stratton that if the engine has the raised fins on it in the center it is a 16hp engine. I saw this in another post in another forum also. They would not say why they let it be badged as a 14hp. Roger.

#13 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 09:48 AM

I know this engine has the same head on it that the 16hp briggs I have. It also has teh same carb on it. I was told by Briggs and stratton that if the engine has the raised fins on it in the center it is a 16hp engine. I saw this in another post in another forum also. They would not say why they let it be badged as a 14hp. Roger.

Roger, I believe the person that told you that was mistaken. The 13, 14, 15 and 16 hp Briggs cast iron, horizontal shaft engines all have the raised fins on the head.

• hamman said thank you

#14 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Just a little update to the story. I was given a Allis Chalmers 36" rear tiller about 16 yrs ago. It was well used and had set outside most of its life. I was going to put it behind my tractor but bought a newer Simplicity 36" tiller for it.( wich a bunch of you guys helped me get going) When My dad sold Homelites back in the 70s he had ordered in a rear lift kit for his. It came in and it was wrong. We kept that all these years and I dug it out a few months ago. I did research on it and with the help of some forum friends found out that it would fit the 7014. I decided that my BIL needed a rear tiller. I told him to come over theis weekend and I had something for him. WHen he got here I gave him the old tiller, mule drive, rear lift kit (cabel and all). His reply was" well.........now you need to come to my house and help put it on and get it working."  2 hours later it was installed a couple of bolts replaced mule drive installed and a new 96" belt on it and he was tilling up his yard. I know it didn't happen unless there are pictures. I didn't have a phone or camera with me but I will get some later this weekend after I go back over there and then to his moms to till her big garden. I'm even going to take mine along and do some funseat time. I will have pictures after that. He was smiling big when he left the house tonight after dinner. I needed the space in the garage and shed and and am glad it will be being used. I hate to see things like that sit around. Thanks. Roger.

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#15 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 05:52 AM

You just helped justify those of us who hang on to things for that day when they can be useful. Sounds like a great weekend lineup for ya'll.

enjoy! And yes, we'll be  :tapping_fingers: for :camera:

• hamman said thank you