• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 06:45 PM

The idea sound good,but for some reason I can't picture exactly what the final product would look like-sorry. Then maybe my mind is a blank at the present time.

Dick

• KennyP and larryd have said thanks

#17 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Sounds like a great idea, Kenny. I fastened some 1/2" plywood to the bottom of two plastic milk crates to hold up the front wheels of Suzi while I did the top end overhaul on her and then used them to hold up the front wheels on the 314 while working on it.

Mike

• KennyP, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:17 PM

How do you plan on making them adjustable?  I'm thinking that if you have the tires sit on top of the rails instead of cradling the tire when you jacked the tractor up to put the other set on the tractor might have a tenancy to roll off the other set especially if you put the back stands on first.  Or have I missed something?

Bill, the tires will set down into the space between the pipes, so there is no worry of them trying to 'roll' out. If my drawings are good, the bottom of the tire will be about 2" below the top of the pipe. So that makes it rather hard to roll out when jacking. And I will be using a floor jack on wheels, so it will move as it goes up.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#19 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,701 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:21 PM

That's what I thought but your comment on making it adjustable threw me off a bit.  I think it is a great idea and I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.  They could also be a good commercial product.

• larryd said thank you

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:25 PM

That's what I thought but your comment on making it adjustable threw me off a bit.  I think it is a great idea and I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.  They could also be a good commercial product.

The adjustable is the fact they aren't tied together, so will fit any tractor (wheelbase and width). Basically, four individual stands.

• HDWildBill and larryd have said thanks

#21 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Kenny How about making one of the top bars movable. With different holes in the stands you can adjust them for different size tires. Then If you wind up working on a mower with tiny tires like a RER snapper you can fit the stands to hold the smaller tires without falling through.

• KennyP and larryd have said thanks

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Should work perfectly Kenny.  Not as space saving, but I've used 2 car rims under each wheel.  Put a 15" rim on the ground, then a 14" rim will fit right into the 15".   Do this on all 4 & it is VERY stable.  The round of the rim intrudes some as far as space, but it is cheap & easy if you have rims laying around.

• KennyP said thank you

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 05:55 AM

Kenny How about making one of the top bars movable. With different holes in the stands you can adjust them for different size tires. Then If you wind up working on a mower with tiny tires like a RER snapper you can fit the stands to hold the smaller tires without falling through.

That's a good idea. I could use angle iron for the sides at the top and just lay an extra piece of pipe in to take up space. A lot easier than making it adjustable for tire size.

Should work perfectly Kenny.  Not as space saving, but I've used 2 car rims under each wheel.  Put a 15" rim on the ground, then a 14" rim will fit right into the 15".   Do this on all 4 & it is VERY stable.  The round of the rim intrudes some as far as space, but it is cheap & easy if you have rims laying around.

No extra wheels about, Daniel! Not a lot of excess angle iron either. Have to make a trip to the scrap yard.

#24 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:28 AM

I raise mine up like this.

image.jpg
  • KennyP and Delmar have said thanks

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 05:58 PM

But I want to do both ends at once, Pat!

#26 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Here is was sharpening the blades.
  • KennyP said thank you

#27 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,641 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 06:58 PM

We use something similar at work. they are made with 2" angle iron and have cross bracing.  They will support a lot of weight. We actually put lift trucks on them for repair purposes. If I remember I'll get a picture of them.  Rick 

Edited by CRFarnsworth, April 14, 2013 - 06:58 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 04:21 PM

Since they aren't built yet, I'm open to ideas. I just want something to get them a bit higher safely for working underneath. Wish they were built already as I have to put new points in the Ford and I have to take the rear PTO off to do that. Several bolts that can only be accessed from the under side.

#29 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,641 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 04:36 PM

Since they aren't built yet, I'm open to ideas. I just want something to get them a bit higher safely for working underneath. Wish they were built already as I have to put new points in the Ford and I have to take the rear PTO off to do that. Several bolts that can only be accessed from the under side.

Checked with the shop truck mechanic. He had  a set of four that were saved after they closed the assembly plant. He has only used them once in the past few years. They are really stout.  2x2x3/8 angle iron with bracing. They are 14"x14"x14".  We have put some rather large lift trucks on them.  You could certainly build yours lighter but stout enough to hold a G.T.  Never had an issue with stability  once in place.   hope this helps.  Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 004.JPG

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Definitely stout enough. I may go a bit taller than the 12" I was thinking. Just need to see how high my big jack will take one. But, I have the SUV adapter (about 3" taller) for it.