Today I got the carb back together, and put on the 124. Once I put it on, it fired right up! But would only run at high speed, no idle. I could not resist, and had to take it for a drive anyway. This tractor has always steered hard, but it was WAY worse then I remember! I checked, and I could not see that the front spindles had any grease in them, so I was going to pump some in. The ball in the grease fitting was rusted, and would not take any grease; no big deal, I will just change it! Nope! Those ones where push in, I only have ones with threads. I decided to take the spindles out, then tap the holes so I could use the fittings I had; besides, I like the threaded ones better anyway. The left spindle was just about seized in there, but I got it out. Once I had it all back together with new fittings and pumped up with grease, it steered great! Way better then any cub I have driven!
Now, enough getting side tracked, back to the carb. Since I had no idea how to adjust it correctly, I had neighbor Herby come give me a hand. We could not get it running well, and he thought the float was out of adjustment. He had something else to do, so he went back home while I checked the float. I pulled it apart, and it was out of adjustment! Note to self, always check float adjustment when carb is apart the first time.
I put it back together, and with what Herby taught me while he was over I was able to get it running pretty good! The idle is not perfect, but still pretty good. Here is the video.
Once I had it all running good, I spent about 15 minutes driving around in the dark... with no lights. I got it a little muddy while riding around, but it was worth it.