• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 07:37 PM

I have a P series motor P216G-I/10779B, olcowhand was kind enough to give me some insight as what to look for but i am lost, i pulled the flywheel  pulled the trigger ring, it has some pitting around the area where the trigger control is ( parts call it ignition control) not to bad though very dirty and dusty, i cleaned it up with electric contact cleaner and brass brush, put it back together, no spark, is there a test for the ignition control, coil seems ok, and anything else i need to check . thanks all

#2 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 07:44 PM

You can download the service manual @ the link below. Should have a test ladder in it. :thumbs:

http://gardentractor...service-manual/

• Arti and farmer john have said thanks

#3 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 09:18 PM

whats a test ladder? checked over the fire shows tests for a few things (VERY HELPFUL) but no test for ignition module

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 09:41 PM

whats a test ladder? checked over the fire shows tests for a few things (VERY HELPFUL) but no test for ignition module

Sorry, work term for me, basically it means check A and B if the result is X go to C if not go to D but anyway this may help. also make sure the motor has proper oil level and oil shut off is wired correctly (low oil shut off) kills spark.

This test is for the P series Onan engines. P216, P218 & P220 etc. with electronic ignition. First thing to do is confirm you are getting Battery voltage to the coil.

Connect a jumper lead directly from the positive battery terminal to the positive (+) coil terminal (smaller diameter of the two threaded posts). Crank engine over while watching for spark. If spark occurs, the problem is in the low oil pressure cut out switch (if equipped) or related wiring, the lubricating system (low oil pressure), or in the other circuitry bringing voltage to the coil. If no spark occurs it's time to test the ignition module.

Connect positive side of voltmeter to negative (-) coil terminal (larger diameter of the two threaded posts) and negative side of voltmeter to engine ground. Leave the jumper from the + battery terminal to the + coil terminal connected and rotate flywheel slowly by hand while observing voltmeter. Voltage should switch between battery voltage and 1-1.5 volts for each revolution. If voltage does not switch properly, replace ignition module.

Good luck!

• Alc and farmer john have said thanks