#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 05:41 PM

I have a Blacksmith leg vise or as some call it a stup vise. This is the second one I've had and really like it. I am still not sure what the function of the leg is. Anyone know? I have it mounted to the bench now but really wahnt to find a chunk of Oak about 20+" around by 44" tall to attach it to. The other one I had was on a stump like that. It had belonged to my uncle who used it in his Bicycle / blacksmith shop. I really liked the stupm because I could move it around the garage. Her are a couple of Pictures. Thanks.  Roger.DSCF4037.JPG DSCF4039.JPG

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 05:45 PM

I always thought the leg was to give it more strength when your really tightening it down, or have something heavy in the jaws. If you put it on a stump, though, you'll probably tip it over first.

• hamman said thank you

#3 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 05:56 PM

Don't do it. Ive got the same vise. I had it mobile and it was a pain to use.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2
  • hamman said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Seems the bottom of the leg is supposed to sit into a steel pad, on a solid block of hardwood.  The leg absorbs the impact when hammering on items in the vise.

The following copied from this site:  http://www.anvilfire...ksmith-vise.php

"The foot of a leg vise needs a load distribution pad. Usually a metal plate with a hole for the spike. OR a good hard stone as Thomas has suggested. The load pad can rest on concrete, wood or brick. On a dirt floor it was common to set a post deep in the earth next to the vise mounting post for the foot to set on. These were cut above the floor OR below as needed. Use a good creosoted or salt treated post, seal the post with tar for longevity."

two_visestands_300.jpg

• hamman, IamSherwood, Newpaws493 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:14 PM

Actually it is a "post" or "leg" vise. Stump tools have a very pointed leg so they can be driven into a stump.

• hamman said thank you

#6 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:23 PM

The set up on the left would work well because you weight would hold the house vise

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:29 PM

From your picture oldcowhand I also see that the leg has a curve in it like mine. I can find a oak block to put on the floor under the leg as a block. Thanks guys i appreciate it. Now I just need to try to find out more about the manufacturer, Raybould of Chicago Il and try to see when it was made. Thanks. Roger.

#8 superaben ONLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Seems the bottom of the leg is supposed to sit into a steel pad, on a solid block of hardwood.  The leg absorbs the impact when hammering on items in the vise.

Maybe I need something like that, or invest in a better vise.  I've quit hammering on anything in a vise after hearing horror stories of the untimely deaths of vises.  Mine is just too bloomin' expensive to split. 

Ben W.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 12:34 AM

They're handy vises. I have one in my shop at home and use it quite often.  I didn't put anything on the bottom of the post because of the way it was mounted (was rigid enough). Picked up another one at a auction a few years back which had plate with a chunk of pipe welded to it.

When my dad was growing up he remembers his grandpa using a vise like that which he ended up getting years later. To hold the leg at the bottom there was a peice of square stock formed into an eyelit and hammered flat on the other end to allow a couple of holes drilled into it for mounting to a post.

I think the boy gets more use out of the vise at home crushing pop cans in it than I do. He would rather use the vise verses a sledge hammer. Don't understand why with it being more work that way.

013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG

• hamman said thank you

#10 mopargoob OFFLINE  

mopargoob
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 14544
  • 56 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 09:50 PM

the post vice is designed for HEAVY hammering.

I wouldnt be surprised that you could clamp iron in it and hit it with a 16 lb sledge and not hurt it at all.