6 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 04:01 PM

I bought a sandblasting cabinet at TSC today.  They are on sale for $100 (regular price $199).  It isn't large (2.5 cu.ft.), but I don't have a lot of space.  My problem is that the cabinet is rated for 5.0 g/m @ 40 - 80 psi while my compressor is rated at 4.1 g/m @ 90 psi.  

Can I run an air pig to make up the difference or will that just burn out the compressor?  If I can, what size air pig?  Is there a simpler option, short of buying a bigger compressor?

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Just curious what is a " air pig"? I saw thosw cabinets yesterday, looked good. Hope it works great for you. 

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Never heard of an air pig either.  I guess you mean cfm (cubic feet per minute) instead of g/m?  CFM required depends on the gun itself, or more specifically, the air orifice and the abrasive tip.  You will need either a larger compressor, or do just a little at a time, allowing compressor to keep up.

Warning...if your compressor is an oil-less type, running past it's duty cycle will have you looking for a new compressor anyway.

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:21 PM

An air pig is a ... well here are two pictures ...

air pig 2.jpeg air-pig.jpg

It is simply a tank that holds additional pressurized air.  Some have multiple outlets so you can use several hoses off of one main line.

Yes, CFM not G/M.  Sorry.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, April 12, 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 08:28 PM

The extra tanks will only help for a minute or 2.  Only a larger compressor will really help.  If just doing small items, you may get by with what you have.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 09:55 PM

What is the compressors rating at 80 psi?

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Well, I ran it today for most of the day.  Olcowhand was right, yet again.  It works, sort of, provided I take my time & give the compressor time to rest.  I get about 10 seconds of spray & 30 seconds of compressor run time.  I did dial the pressure back to about 60 psi and that gave me an extra couple of second of spraying.  Bigger (or second) compressor required.

Of more importance, the cabinet was engineered by a moron.  The light is behind the work piece, so the work piece is always in a shadow, not that you can see anything with all the dust flying around.  I definitely need to connect a vacuum to the cabinet.  Yippee, more noise.  The pickup tube clogs continuously, but that might be related to my low flow rate.  

It was assembled by a blind guy.  The cabinet bleeds sand though the seals as if they were not there, which they may not be.  I'll need to fix that when I empty it to move the light.  It ... never ... ends ....