• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 valchristie OFFLINE  

valchristie
  • Member No: 32733
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Howdy, trying to get my lgt14.5  K 321AQS fired up but can't get any spark.

I have to jump the starter as the solenoid doesn't seem to transfer battery/switch power through to starter. With key on I have 12v at the + side of the coil, and 12v on the - side of the coil. On the "regulator" beside the coil I also have 12v on all three tangs. But when grounding out spark plug (I have tried 4 that I know work) i have no spark. Should I have 12v at the points on the other side of the engine? Thanks for your help!!

Val

• JRJ said thank you

#2 brahlf OFFLINE  

brahlf
  • Member No: 9019
  • 11 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:33 PM

You should have 12 volts at the positive side all the time with the ignition on. When the points open and close that is when the coil opens and grounds causing the secondary windings to energize and go to the plug. Make sure the points are clean and gapped correctly. You can also try and make the coil work manually by momentarily grounding the negative side and see if you have spark at the plug, just like the opening and closing of the points. Disconnect the points while doing this. If there is no spark I would have to assume the problem is the coil.
  • valchristie said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 11:52 PM

:welcometogttalk: Did you clean the points?

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 04:18 AM

Welcome to the forum! I'd be checking the points and condenser. On the cranking issue, be sure the PTO is off and the neutral safety is working/set right.

FordWiringDiagram.jpg

• JRJ and valchristie have said thanks

#5 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 05:02 AM

Are the points opening and closing?...Might want to check the push rod in behind the points if they are not

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 05:17 AM

You should have 0 volts or close to it at the points side of the coil when the points are closed. 12 volts when they are open. You need to check that the points are opening and closing and set the gap to .020. You also need to have a good connection from the chassis of the motor back to the battery - terminal. When the points are closed current flows through the coil and back to the battery through the engine chassis and wiring to the - terminal. When the points open the current in the coil drops quickly to 0. This causes a collapsing magnetic field which induces a high voltage in the secondary side of the coil. That is the blue spark you see. The condenser is also important to getting a good quality spark and long life for the points. The coil should read a low resistance on the primary side of maybe 3 ohms. On the high voltage side I think it is about 7-10k ohms. These figures can be verified in the Kohler service manual. Points adjustment are a common problem. i have a 321 in a JD314 and have had problems with the points being out of adjustment and preventing it from starting.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 05:45 AM

Welcome to GTTalk ! I think if you follow all the sugestions mention you'll have you problem found ,

#8 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:53 AM

I vote Condenser.

#9 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 07:41 AM

make sure ur wires to the coil are on the right sides. I seen one where they were switched and the motor had no spark

#10 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 11:15 AM

Welcome to GTTalk, I would suggest checking all your wiring connections, any doubt in your mind I would loosen the connection clean it and make sure it is making good contact, a slow process but sometimes that is all it takes, just one bad connection can ruin a day.

Dick

#11 valchristie OFFLINE  

valchristie
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for all your help indeed! I checked the coil as "Brafhl" mentioned and it is good. I took off and tested the condenser by hooking one lead of my multi meter (set at 20K and at 200K) to the case and one end to the wire and had no conductivity either way  I put my leads. I have taken all electrical connections apart and cleaned and filed them to get best connection possible, especialy on all grounding points. I am off to the store to buy new spark plug, solenoid, condenser and some good quality feeler gauges. Thanks again for all your help. I will update my progress..

VC

#12 valchristie OFFLINE  

valchristie
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 11:18 PM

Well thank you very much for all your help. I used all the advice posted here. Haven't had it running in 7 years, but today she fired like it was brand new!!! Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated! Now the sons Snapper. Thanks again

Best regards,

Val Christie

#13 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 07:14 AM

That's what we are here for. There's nothing more satisfying than hearing it fire up the first time after putting all of that hard work into it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: k321