• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 IslandFordguy OFFLINE  

IslandFordguy
  • Member No: 10884
  • 19 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:15 PM

How big a battery should I need for the 145? There is a new 180 amp one in it and even fully charged it won't wind it over. I'm wondering if a 180 should be all I need? Do the 14 horse Kohlers have an automatic compression release? Could the starter be causing the issue? Winds over great when connected to the truck. I'm looking at a new 405 CCA battery that's on sale but I don't think I should need one that big. Any thoughts?

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:18 PM

I would think it should be enough, but I usually get the 275 amp size in GT size batteries.  They do have an ACR, but if the exhaust valve clearance is too wide, it is not able to work.

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:45 PM

When you say "connected to the truck", do you mean, that you're

boosting it, with jumper cables?

Have you gone through all the connections, and cleaned them up good.

Especially the ground from bat to engine, and starter to engine.

#4 IslandFordguy OFFLINE  

IslandFordguy
  • 19 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Yes boosting it. All connections have been gone through. I'm thinking of having the starter tested as well. The tractor runs awesome and has lots of power. It's just a bit of a bear to start.

#5 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 06:01 PM

How big a battery should I need for the 145? There is a new 180 amp one in it and even fully charged it won't wind it over. I'm wondering if a 180 should be all I need? Do the 14 horse Kohlers have an automatic compression release? Could the starter be causing the issue? Winds over great when connected to the truck. I'm looking at a new 405 CCA battery that's on sale but I don't think I should need one that big. Any thoughts?

I'd say your 180amp battery is not so good, it starts fine when you boost it.

Try another battery.

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 11:39 PM

Load test the battery

#7 IslandFordguy OFFLINE  

IslandFordguy
  • 19 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:28 AM

I had bought a 160 cca battery in 2006, for $23, returned it last night for a $15 core charge, and had 2 gift cards. Got a brand new 405 cca battery for 9 bucks! That leaves me with a new 160 cca one(from the 145) for my 69 Ford 100. 

• KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:45 AM

I put a small car battery in the LGT 165, but I have a 3000# winch I use for the dump trailer and I wanted enough to run it without working the system too much. That 405 cca should do the trick.

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:59 AM

I had bought a 160 cca battery in 2006, for $23, returned it last night for a $15 core charge, and had 2 gift cards. Got a brand new 405 cca battery for 9 bucks! That leaves me with a new 160 cca one(from the 145) for my 69 Ford 100. 

Hope it works out for you. Let us know.

#10 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 07:00 AM

Make sure your ground is making good contact because that can make the starter sometime whine and grumble a little.

The starter is only going to pull what it needs. If you have 100000 amp battery and the starter needs 10 amps to turn over that's all its going to  take. I like to have more battery than what I need in case it decides it wants to be a hard start (all my machines have onans). The battery won't drain as easily.

Edited by SearsYellow, April 12, 2013 - 07:00 AM.

• IslandFordguy said thank you

#11 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 08:02 AM

Also, you might want to take the starter off and go through it. Comes off easy (2 bolts) ande 2 more to disassemble. The starter on my Deere 316 was getting weak - needed a fully charged battery to get it to crank.... I thought the battery was getting weak, but decided to pull the starter to clean it up. One of the magnets inside was broken and there were magnet pieces/dust all over the place. It still worked, but at very low power and efficiency. New case (from a starter with a burned stator), cleaned up the contacts and it was good as new!

BTW, THATS why you are not supposed to strike the starter with a hammer or drop it - 2 big plate magnets inside bonded to the case and they are fragile and can break.....

You can get starter rebuild kits on evil-bay for $10 or so - new brushes and insulators. Add a can of electrical parts cleaner some diellectric grease, and a piece of 300 grit sandpaper (to clean the contactors)and most starters are good as new - as long as the windings are not burned...
  • SearsYellow said thank you