15 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 07:49 AM

What could cause this? I know the video is horrible. The tractor ran fine when I parked it a couple months ago

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'd like to help but ...

video is private.jpg

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:14 AM

Yea, can't see video.

If it has the rpm surge/hunting, it's starving for gas. Even after only a couple months, this new gas will cause varnishing inside very quickly. I'm betting the main jet has gotten clogged up.

Which motor and carb? If it is an LME or LMH carb on a HH/OH motor, do not remove the main jet unless you have a new replacement one with the slot cut in it. You will never get it lined back up properly as they install jet then drill hole at factory. You can still spray up in there and hope it cleans it out. 

I would check all gas lines and filter before removing carb, quicker and easier to do that first. You maybe be able to drain gas out, add a little back in tank and add some Seafom in a heavy dilution, run that for 5-10 mins, may clean it up without having to remove carb. I know one guy who uses a 50/50 gas/seafoam mix, put fuel line into container and pulled directly from there for a few mins, enough to fill bowl and carb, then let it sit  for a bit, then hooked back to tank and ran it. Said it usually worked pretty well in cleaning carb without removing it.

Edited by TAHOE, April 11, 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Yea, can't see video.

If it has the rpm surge/hunting, it's starving for gas. Even after only a couple months, this new gas will cause varnishing inside very quickly. I'm betting the main jet has gotten clogged up.

Which motor and carb? If it is an LME or LMH carb on a HH/OH motor, do not remove the main jet unless you have a new replacement one with the slot cut in it. You will never get it lined back up properly as they install jet then drill hole at factory. You can still spray up in there and hope it cleans it out. 

I would check all gas lines and filter before removing carb, quicker and easier to do that first. You maybe be able to drain gas out, add a little back in tank and add some Seafom in a heavy dilution, run that for 5-10 mins, may clean it up without having to remove carb. I know one guy who uses a 50/50 gas/seafoam mix, put fuel line into container and pulled directly from there for a few mins, enough to fill bowl and carb, then let it sit  for a bit, then hooked back to tank and ran it. Said it usually worked pretty well in cleaning carb without removing it.

:thumbs:  Ditto

#5 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:27 AM

http://bit.ly/XF73QA (Watch "VIDEO0003.mp4" on YouTube)

Maybe this...

The video has been set to public now

I'll check the fuel system tonight.

Edited by BairleaFarm, April 11, 2013 - 08:29 AM.

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:50 AM

Am I'm hearing a spraying / sucking noise while the engine revs up that stops just as the engine starts to slow down, or is that a rattle?  Are you sucking extra air post-carb that is giving you a lean mixture & making the engine overspeed?

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, April 11, 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Looks like the fuel filter is on backwards, filter will have less surface area to filter fuel, will clog quicker ,

also you are unable to "see" whats in the filter, as you are only seeing "filtered" fuel.

#8 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 09:09 AM

That's me reving the engine up. The rattle Is a lose shield. I doubt notice any sucking sound. I'll check the fuel filter even though it ran fine like it is months ago.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,728 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 09:19 AM

My first attack in a situation like this is to back the main screw out a quarter turn or less. Of course this isn't possible if its fixed jet but the second step is. Rev it up and then close the choke hard. Open the choke before it dies and let it clean out. If its the idle circuit, rev it up then close the throttle and choke at the same time. Most of the time its a piece of dried crud that can be sucked on through.

#10 Kyocum ONLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 09:55 AM

I think that you should start with the basic tune up plug, points, condensor air and fuel filter. Make sure the carb mounting bolts are tight. Sucking air will make it hunt also. Carb could possibly be in need of a rebuild.

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:07 AM

After watching video, that  is definitely fuel starvation, sounds just like my Tec OH160 did before carb rebuild. I'm betting you got varnish from sitting or water/rust as the newer gasoline has the ethanol which attracts water greatly.

Start it up and pull choke out, does she smooth out? If yes, then you got a clogged jet, fitler, or port somewhere in the system.

I agree, double check mouting bolts, filter, etc.

#12 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 01:43 PM

As others have already said clean the carb again.

If it ran good before and now doesn't because it sat for a while then the most likely cause is plugged up carb from bad gas.

If you remove the air cleaner assembly, start the engine and run at high RPM, put the palm of you hand over the carb (air tight seal), take you hand away before it stalls you might clean it out.

Doing this causes a high vacum in all the jets, passages, sucks the crap though. Spraying carb cleaner in before may help also.

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I've had good luck doing this, saves pulling the carb apart

• IamSherwood said thank you

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 11:59 PM

:ditto:

#14 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:26 PM

I changed the fuel filter and did the hand over the carb. It helped. There is an occasional cough but the hunt is gone. I noticed the fuel pump is leaking on the top.

On a side note the gas made all the paint run. I'm done with rattle can paint jobs.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1365809164745.jpg

#15 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Glad you got it running better, the fuel pump leak might cause some problems if it's sucking air.