• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,321 Thanks
  • 4,916 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Well said Oldtimer. Safety and the reminders never go out of style.

#32 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,139 Thanks
  • 4,553 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 11:29 AM

I'm gonna VENT!! WHY put this on HERE! I come here for relaxation and a sanity check and read stuff like this and the other tradgity with the dirt caving in !! I don't need anymore bad news thank you !!! 

More bad news?  There's this group of folks in Washington.....   Blah blah blah.. :wallbanging:   I know-I know...

Yes, both of those posts were heart-wrenchers but if somebody else may learn from sharing another's pain it is definitely worthwhile..  

As for bad news-  the world is crammed full of it..  

Hope today is going better for ya!! :firejumper:

• Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 03:16 PM

I read the story last night, the mother was trying to get the fathers attention that the little one was coming towards him and he couldn't hear her, he thought something about in front of the tractor and he put it in reverse and that is when it happened.

Our family send out prayer to the family in Tampa, Fl.

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,645 Thanks
  • 1,674 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 10:16 PM

That is terrible and i am sorry it happened. All mowers are really dangerous, it doesn't matter if it's a ridding or push, my dad lost his eye when he was around 14, he hit a small piece of wire with a push mower. We where always tot to wear safety glasses when ever we mowed or did anything that was more dangerous (like grinders saws and ect) we where never outside when our parents mowed because of this reason.

Everyone thinks these mowers are safe but they are not safe at all!!!!!

I am glad she is alive and doing well and I hope everything will work out for them

#35 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 447 Thanks
  • 559 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 02:41 PM

I believe it was one of the higher ups in the Cub Cadet Administration that backed up over one of their kids and that started the whole situation with the backing up the EPTO will shut off or the engine will go dead.

I was mowing with the Gravely 16g one day and hit a rotten 2x4 and it sore thru the air and hit my wife car. Luckily it didn't hit anybody, do any damage to her car and I am VERY lucky she didn't see me do it. I think before I got on the lawnmower she did tell  me that she just went around the yard and picked stuff out of the front yard....

#36 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Prayer sent to the mom and dad. This makes me sick to the stomach.

My dad taught me how dangerous a non-live PTO was when I was younger and wanted to help bushhog the field... Well last summer I was mowing with the NON-live PTO finish mower and the wife and oldest came out (she was just over 2) and luckily they were in front of me and I I saw her take off toward me. I immediately hit the clutch and stomped the brake, and yelled stop (while holding my hand up). I'm blessed with a little girl that listens pretty well because she did stop in her tracks. But if she had snuck up on me as I was turning or something I wouldn't have been able to stop. Mowers are dangerous but mowers driven by live PTO's are dangerous in slow motion.

My last thought and advice... I don't care what you are doing never direct a machine in a direction without looking first. Zero turns are EXTRA easy to do this with too. Hell even if there are no small children around there could still be your dog or a rabbit or who knows what.

• Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Read in the Tampa paper today that the little girl thinks her legs are just hurt. Also there is a company I believe is was that is going to make new legs for her, and there church has collected over $15,000.00 to help with medical bills.

This is why there is the RIO on tractors.

#38 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 10:21 PM

Just read the following article and it sounds as though prayers have been answered for her ongoing recovery. Little Ireland is leaving the hospital this weekend. What a cutie.