37 replies to this topic

#16 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 07:56 AM

This is awful, Definitely be praying for them!!

• tinbender7 said thank you

#17 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:39 AM

That is tragic.

I remember when I was about 12 swimming at my aunt's, neighbors started yelling and screaming. The little girl was following dad while he was mowing, he stopped, pulled mower back to change directions or whatver, ended up pulling mower back over her foot, she got lucky I guess in only losing a couple toes.

I tried to explain to my children I do not want them around when I mow. My son learned it a couplel yrs ago He happened to come down the drive coming from a friends house when my push mower picked up a good size rock. Sent it flying right passed him about 50 foot away into the street. We were thankful and he understood fully after that.

• Craig., tinbender7 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#18 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:52 AM

It's awful to hear of this terrible event..  I can only imagine the family's grief now and feel sorry.. :(

Just about all of us have been there..  The young 'uns just want to go see daddy or grandpa and run right out to you while you when you are mowing and don't realize the danger of that situation at such a young age..  Things like this are why there are so many safety interlocks as the lawyers salivate whenever something like this happens.  I've fought tooth & nail with every one of the grandkids whenever they come over as they all have done the exact same thing..  Luckily for us our lawn was mowed by a push mower when they were that young so the tractor hazard just wasn't there..   Be careful and watch your surroundings closely if you have the little ones around is the best advice I can offer...  

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, April 11, 2013 - 08:53 AM.

• Craig. and tinbender7 have said thanks

#19 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 09:18 AM

Yea, my son wanted to cut the grass when he was about 10-11. While I felt he was mature enough, he was a small fry and struggled to push mower...I could see him getting majorly injured. He is 15 now and has no problems, but I tried to teach him safety when he uses any power equipment.

Edited by TAHOE, April 11, 2013 - 09:18 AM.

• Craig. and tinbender7 have said thanks

#20 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:50 AM

prayers sent to the family. ive been push mowing since i was 8 or so first thing i was taught was safety first. a mower will turn anything on the ground into a weapon when it come out from under a deck. i lucked out last summer helping a friend mow his yard he was out front triming and i found something with the pusher i thought for sure i was gashed open but it left a good sized bruise then a lump that is still there. still dont know what it was but it hurt.

#21 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:57 AM

I had to give my wife the speech the other day. I was mowing my yard and my wife turned her back on our little girl and she ran straight for me while mowing (she is 2 also). Luckily by the time she got within 20 feet of me I had the blades cut off and was off the mower. My wife was mad at me for hours after that conversation (well I call it a conversation).

I was harsh but our little girl isn't in the hospital getting appendages surgically sewn back on. 

This happened just up the road from a couple of years ago:

http://www.elkintrib...ent &id=1689910

I worked EMS for a few years and it's a tragedy anytime a kid gets hurt. Most of the time kids get hurt it's the fault of a adult.

#22 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 11:16 AM

This just makes me sick to my stomach. Such a tragic and unnecessary accident. My heart goes out to the whole family. 

#23 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Udate in the little girl. They said on the 6 oclock newa that she has lost both feet and part of 1 hand. That is bad enough, but last night right after it happened they said both legs and 1 arm. The family still needs our prayers,and let this remind us of dangers of power equipment,

• chris m said thank you

#24 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm gonna VENT!! WHY put this on HERE! I come here for relaxation and a sanity check and read stuff like this and the other tradgity with the dirt caving in !! I don't need anymore bad news thank you !!! 

#25 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:55 PM

I'm gonna VENT!! WHY put this on HERE! I come here for relaxation and a sanity check and read stuff like this and the other tradgity with the dirt caving in !! I don't need anymore bad news thank you !!! 

Sorry, point taken, no more bad news from me.

#26 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 08:21 AM

We had safety class today, and the main talk was lawnmower injuries and death, and this vary incident was discussed at length. It seem this happens all to often, Both to the uniformed and the Informed alike. People who were safety conscious and head of safety teams, still had a high rate of lawnmower accidents. What surprised me was the amount of deaths to adult men & women due to rider lawnmower rollovers, and careless behavior, followed by accidental death to children. I had often thought children were at the top of the incidents. and rollovers were restricted to heavy equipment not these little tractors, boy I was wrong The numbers are unreal, sadly I didn't bring the numbers home, I left them in the classroom. One man in our class room shared an incident about him, where he came home and his son didn't mow the lawn. So he got out of his car still in his work clothes, proceeded to push mow the yard as we all have done, back and forth back and forth, when at one point he pulled the mower back and tripped and fell. because he had a good grip on the handle he pulled the mower right over the top of his legs, fortunately for his work boot (Steel Toe & Metal tarsal) the blade stuck into his steel toe and killed the engine. the only thing hurting on him was his butt. The advice the teachers had today for us to spread, was you have to have a class with your family, no two ways about it. On the dangers of mowing a lawn period. Flying debris, falls. and rollovers, and any other dangers that can happen at home, and there's lots of dangers. Well I'm off to bed worked midnights last night, I do hope this can help some ones family.

#27 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 08:36 AM

We put this on here because are dealt with the fact that this could happen to any of us. We are all here as a family, friends and group. If this happened to one of our members we would all support the member in thoughts and prayers. By us posting this on the site it allows the family and friends to know we our supporting them in thoughts and prayers in their time of need.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#28 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 09:39 AM

Horrible. My ex wife and I had more fights over her letting the kids come out while I was mowing. She never could get it through her head that it was dangerous.

• SearsYellow said thank you

#29 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 09:57 AM

Wow. That is horrible. My thaughts and prayers go out to the family and especially the little girl. I remember when i was a kid, probably 6-7, my dad went out to mow the lawn with a push mower and didnt know that my step mom had let the dog out on the cable going out the back door. He came around the corner and caught the cable with the mower blade and it reeled the cable right in with the dog dragging behind. He let go of the handle but the engine couldnt stop fast enough.

Edited by cumminsmannow, April 12, 2013 - 09:57 AM.

• SearsYellow said thank you

#30 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 10:04 AM

I see nothing wrong with this being posted here.  Prayers go out to the little girl and her family.  I too come here to relax - but that doesn't mean I ignore the world.  My wife and I have no young ones at home now, but we do have a backyard neighbor with an adopted little boy who will be 2 on the 21st of this month.  This story served as a reminder to to me tell them to watch him carefully when I'm mowing.  We  took out a section of the stone wall so that  they could visit without going around the corner and out on the street.   The little guy has come over ahead of his mom or dad on occasion when I've been picking up branches or just checking things.Not that often, but still;  it  only takes one time.   SAFETY AT ALL TIMES. 

• Cvans, twostep, SearsYellow and 1 other said thanks