• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 10:06 PM

I have one other house on my street. So I'm that guy. Been mowing (sucking up leaves) for well over a month now. And cutting the weeds that pop up before the grass even starts to green up.

My neighbor ? Lol he won't cut his grass (weeds) till its a foot high or more. Then his son will come over from around the block on his 3 year old JD zero turn and cut it as fast as the mower will go. It's a joke. It looks even worse when he's done. Bet my house that he's never sharpened or replaced the blades.

Weed trimmer ? What's that ? Maybe and just maybe it's been done 12 times in the 12 years I've been here.

Edited by NJKen, April 10, 2013 - 10:07 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#17 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 10:19 PM

No not that guy.. Somewhere in the middle not the first to mow and not the last. Weed whip every other time or so.

#18 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Not that guy. I've got a neighbor across the way that is religious about mowing and lots of other things. The boys usually keep our lawn looking nice but unless they want something ($) they are definitely not the first to get out a mow.

#19 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 12:00 AM

I was sure first this year!  I was out weekend before last with the front dethatcher and bagger unit going full tilt.  Plenty of stix, cones and various other dead stuff for mulch.  I did see a neighbor polishing his red Craftsman last week...  It's always shiny, but it seems never to start or run right for the first mow... It is very definitely shiny and dust free though.:D

Regarding Dave's "bib overalls", I'm usually out in full "roping regalia", Bailey straw, Wrangler jeans & shirt and Tony Lama work boots.  Everybody else seems to prefer the  silly long baggy hippty-hop shorts and pork pie hats nowadays.:D

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#20 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:59 AM

I will always mow the neighbor lady's Yard before I do mine. Does that make her "that guy" ?
I may not always be the first but i'll mow more often than any of the others. rick

#21 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 06:07 AM

Depends on if the yard needs mowed yet or not!  Mine will be ready for the first mowing a few days.  ~~  Lowell

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 06:08 AM

I like to top the weeds early, so I guess I'm that guy!

#23 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 06:27 AM

Yep I'm that guy, but I do it with style, bib overalls and my .40 cal Glock strapped to my side. LOL

#24 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 07:27 AM

someone beat me to it.  he mowed yesterday.  I was goin to mow tonight so im one day off

#25 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 07:28 AM

The big Cub had a silky smooth 26hp Kohler, a 54" three blade deck and a comfy high-back seat. It was shiny and new...and big. I was that guy, before the oak tree. Now, with the 10 year old Murray one lung, held together with bailing wire and hope...well not so much. Maybe if I had a deck for the Speedex.

• larrybl said thank you

#26 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:45 AM

I try not to be as I let my grass get some growth on it before my first cutting cause we all now, first time it get cut, it grows in triple time :rolling:  Normally though, I have lazy neighbors so I am "that guy".

#27 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:55 AM

thinking about this more since yesterday ive mowed twice and the grass hasnt even grown lol. the first time was just to try the deck on the cub 70 out, the 2nd time was purely to mow all the leaves and what ever else off my yard. im normally the first one around here to do any yard work. i think its because id rather work outside in the spring when its a good temp to get yard work done with out getting a sun burn.

#28 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 02:32 PM

Mowed last night. I think I'm the first.

#29 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 03:16 PM

Not by a longshot!! If the Grass is greening up, it's time to be in the garden! I'll get to it once the gardening is caught up.

Living 1/4 mile off the highway with only 1 neighbor close He's the only one that see's I''m neglegent.

I'm betting he won't mow early this year either. He did a bunch of building(garage andd sunroom) and tore up the yard last year.

He said he planted grass twice last fall and it never grew. He will have to reseed this spring.

• SamMC said thank you

#30 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:23 PM

The big Cub had a silky smooth 26hp Kohler, a 54" three blade deck and a comfy high-back seat. It was shiny and new...and big. I was that guy, before the oak tree. Now, with the 10 year old Murray one lung, held together with bailing wire and hope...well not so much. Maybe if I had a deck for the Speedex.

I smell a story here :wave: I too had an incident with a mesquete tree, luckly it didn't hurt the tractor as much as my pride.

• SamMC said thank you