Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Mystery Parts - Need help with identification on these...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 07:10 AM

Please stand corrected!

There are wheels with lugs to hold the tires onto the rims ? if so which ones ? no ego here just interested bystander.
It's not that im stubborn or is some self proclaimed expert which im not, im not an expert in anything at all but to me it says push reel mower, i have seen that wheel before, wishing i had it in frount of me right now.

Edited by trowel, March 23, 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#17 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,147 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 08:36 AM

There are wheels with lugs to hold the tires onto the rims ? if so which ones ? no ego here just interested bystander.

Most Eclipse/Hahn-Eclipse/Hahn reel mower wheels had raised lugs cast into the wheel rim which engaged recesses molded into the rubber tire.

Many Toro reel mowers had wheels with grooves and a lug cast into them to engage matching patterns molded into their respective tire.

These are but just two manufacturers, although there were others, as well.

Please keep in mind that there were many brands and models of reel mowers manufactured over the years, and each manufacturer had their own idea of what was best.

Push reel mowers (hand mowers) often used slip-on tires without lugs of any type.

Like you, we often had to boil tires to make them pliable enough to install them. ....Even with boiling, some tires required help from a big hammer to install and properly seat them.

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 10:11 AM

By raised lug are you talking about the raised center hump on the rim much like in the above pictured rim ? or small individual lugs casted around the rim resembling a cog gear for the hard rubber tire to slip onto ? Regarding a single lug im thinking along the lines of a 50's Jari Sickle Mower, i take it some reel mower Mfg did this ?
One example of one i changed for a customer : 1960's Craftsmen Self propelled reel mower had wheels much like the above picture with but had small teeth-like indentations or if you will ''serration'' around the rim, (also had the rasied center hump on the rim) the rubber tires themselfs had (bare with me, i don't know the technical names) ''serration or crosshatched ridges molded into the tire that gripped the rim very tightly after it cooled off (i boiled it).
Jacobson had a similar set up on it's rim (50's Lawn Queen) but i was a Interested Bystander watching.