19 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'm not ashamed to say that while I type this thread tears are streaming down my face and I've got a huge knot in my stomach. As many of you know, Sunday night a terrible accident happened in NC. Two young children lost their lives when a wall of dirt collapsed, burying them nearly instantly. The whole thing is just awful. To make matters worse, the operator of the backhoe was one of the little children's father and uncle to the other child. I have four kids myself and when I read what the father said after the children were found it broke my heart:

"When she came out of the hole she was so cold," Arwood, of Stanley, N.C., told The Associated Press in his first news media interview. "I just wanted for her to be warm. I just wanted to put my arms around her and tell her she would be safe....I promised her I'd keep her safe. I promised them I'd keep them safe and warm. I broke that promise."

I'm not posting this to talk about how stupid the dad was nor to discuss whether he should of had a permit. I'm not posting this to debate whether the dad was a good dad or not because he was a felon. I don't care that he had guns and wasn't supposed to have them nor that a pot plant was found in his trailer. I'm posting this because I hope to remind us all about being safe with our hobby, especially when our kiddos are around. I appreciate boyscout862 reminding me of this the other day in a PM when I told him I'd bought a tractor for the kids.

God bless that family and may he wrap his arms around them as they walk through the unthinkable. Our children are precious so please be safe as the weather warms up and we all get out of doors to play with our tractors. Thanks.

Matthew

P.S. Here's a link to the article if you wish to read it.

http://news.yahoo.co...-082249026.html

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Alc and 12 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:07 PM

I saw that on the news, and frankly, I'll pass on reading more about it, as it will do to me what it has done to you.  It is so sad words cannot express.

• NUTNDUN, Texas Deere and Horse, gopher and 6 others have said thanks

#3 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 565 Thanks
  • 629 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:25 PM

As a father and grandfather I can't imagine such a horrific needless tragedy. 

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#4 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Thank you for posting this...it truly is unthinkable, and as the one officer said what worse can be done to this man than to loose the kids like that?  We all need reminders about safety because life can be so fragile and fleeting. My family is getting an extra hug tonight.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

#5 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Such a needless accident . We can't change that but saftey is always of the utmost importance . The man can't always be watching over us

larryd

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#6 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Mistakes were made but my prayers are with Him.

Edited by anderson classic tractors, April 10, 2013 - 08:55 PM.

• NUTNDUN, Texas Deere and Horse, gopher and 3 others have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 09:05 PM

As a father of 3, I share in his sadness. May He walk with that family and guide them thru.
  • NUTNDUN, Texas Deere and Horse, gopher and 2 others have said thanks

#8 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 09:40 PM

My thoughts and prayers go out with the families. Even being a young tike myself (22) its heart braking to hear that. Im sure that things could have been avoided with the proper safety precautions, but at least the lord about have greeted them with open arms. God bless to all of them and the community and god bless to all of the members on here with families of their own.

• NUTNDUN, Texas Deere and Horse, gopher and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 09:49 PM

As a Father of 2 girls and a son, I can't even begin to imagine what he must be going thru. I PRAY for Peace for all involved.

• NUTNDUN, gopher, Moosetales and 1 other said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I am saddened for the kids but furious with the dad. But Matt, I disagree. HE should do prison time. Stupidity should be painful. He evidently doesn't consider consequences.

I've been a Civil Engineer for 37 years and was an Army Engineer Officer for 27 years of that. I've been fired from jobs for refusing to reduce on safety. I had two men injured in the Army, both were falls. I had one freak accident as a civilian where the crane operator walked into the boom of his crane as he was removing his hard hat for a break. I fear someone getting hurt on my jobs.

It was drummed into me by my father(CPO, USCG) "nobody dies on my watch". I take this seriously and do not compromise where it will endanger people. I look ahead and try to prevent forseeable problems.

Last week there was an accident at a nuclear power plant A 500 ton stator fell. 4 people died and the plant may be permanently knocked out. Today I heard that it looks like the lifting equipment was inadequate. I'll bet someone reduced the factor of safety to save money.

I don't understand such supidity. As someone who has been resposible for the lives of many people I do get mad when people sell other peoples lives cheaply.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, gopher, Moosetales and 1 other said thanks

#11 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 10:09 PM

I am saddened for the kids but furious with the dad. But Matt, I disagree. HE should do prison time. Stupidity should be painful

I have a feeling he will be living a fate every day until the day he dies, worst than any prison.

• gopher, Moosetales, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 10:25 PM

John you are probably right. Unfortunately, I've come across too many people that have little or no conscience.
  • John@Reliable, gopher, Moosetales and 2 others have said thanks

#13 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 11:46 PM

I am saddened for the kids but furious with the dad. But Matt, I disagree. HE should do prison time. Stupidity should be painful. He evidently doesn't consider consequences.

I've been a Civil Engineer for 37 years and was an Army Engineer Officer for 27 years of that. I've been fired from jobs for refusing to reduce on safety. I had two men injured in the Army, both were falls. I had one freak accident as a civilian where the crane operator walked into the boom of his crane as he was removing his hard hat for a break. I fear someone getting hurt on my jobs.

It was drummed into me by my father(CPO, USCG) "nobody dies on my watch". I take this seriously and do not compromise where it will endanger people. I look ahead and try to prevent forseeable problems.

Last week there was an accident at a nuclear power plant A 500 ton stator fell. 4 people died and the plant may be permanently knocked out. Today I heard that it looks like the lifting equipment was inadequate. I'll bet someone reduced the factor of safety to save money.

I don't understand such supidity. As someone who has been resposible for the lives of many people I do get mad when people sell other peoples lives cheaply.

We all too often read the details of a story and instantly develop an opinion that generally validates the notion of "that wouldn't happen to me because...." If by posting this story a member on this site is jolted to his/her senses and that saves another child's life then these children will not have died in vain. For the most part I agree with you. In this case I purposefully decided to stay clear of the "politics" that center on dad's past and present. I hope that every single member that reads this post realizes that this too can happen to them if they let their guard down for just a few minutes or cut corner just a few times. The two kiddos deserve to not die a meaningless death. Whether charges are filed or not this man will likely be a shell from this day going forward. Every member here at GTTalk needs to remind themselves that no matter how careful accidents can and will happen.

• NUTNDUN, gopher, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#14 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 12:30 AM

I'm going to be the one to go one step further then this.. He deserves to feel the same last minutes as those children did.  I can only hope those poor children didn't feel anything.  Why were kids outside or even near this hole..  All those familys involved are in my thoughts.  I hope they find peace in all of this.  

• gopher said thank you

#15 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 02:32 PM

Here's a news story I read today. Thankfully it had a better outcome. Just another instance where something can happen in the blink of an eye. http://gma.yahoo.com...d_News1-7091254
  • gopher said thank you