8 replies to this topic

#1 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 12:12 PM

A friend of mine has a 2150 and it wont charge. He said that he puts a battery charger on it for a wile, after charging it will start fine. He can use the pto for about half an hour, shut it off and it wont turn back on. And if he turns the tractor off, it wont turn back on till he charges it again. Does anyone know what could be causing this to happen?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 01:43 PM

My guess is that it isn't charging!!  (like you didn't know that!)

The help given will depend on what engine type is in the beast..

It sounds like it's got an electric PTO which is killing the battery.

Most of the newer charging systems have a Stator winding and either a regulator or Diode rectifier to convert the ~28-30 volts AC current generated to ~14V DC which is used to both charge your battery and operate any electrical doo-dads on the tractor like the PTO..

First off try this:

Set your digital multimeter to AC Volts and look for the 2 wires that come out from under your engine shroud by the flywheel.  They will connect to your regulator/rectifier.  With the key/engine OFF unplug that from the rectifier.  Start the engine and run it at good speed then test those two wires with your meter.  It should read somewhere around the 28-30 V AC previously mentioned..  If not, you have trouble in 'stator-ville'.  Shut the engine OFF and set your friendly multimeter to 200K OHMs..  Then test those two wires with the meter and it should have some continuity..  IF it says zero then there is an open winding and the stator is the problem.  Go shopping for a new one..

If the IS ~28-30V AC coming from the stator set your trusty multimeter to DC volts (20V setting or range) and test the other wire that hooks to the regulator with the Key ON but without the engine running.  It should read exactly what the battery voltage is.  If not there is a wiring or connection problem..  Get a wiring diagram and ring the circuit out to find the problem..

BUTTT..  IF the above tests yield the correct results then the regulator/regulator is FUBAR and you need to shop, beg or scrounge for a good one.  

Hopefully this will help you to determine what your pals problem is and I'm sure someone else will pop in and offer more insight for ya!  God Luck!

• John@Reliable and suburban 12 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 02:15 PM

Does the battery hold a charge? If the battery is weak, the PTO could be getting all the charge!

• John@Reliable, WNYTractorTinkerer and suburban 12 have said thanks

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 03:08 PM

I tend to go along with Kenny; the PTO draw a lot of juice from the battery and if it is weak it will never hold a full charge. I would suggest that your friend take the battery to a local auto parts store and request a load test which they do not charge for, this will tell if there is a dead cell which is causing the end problems.

Dick

• John@Reliable and suburban 12 have said thanks

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 03:52 PM

My first test on any electrical problems in a car,truck,or tractor is to load test the battery.

• suburban 12 said thank you

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 03:52 PM

Does the battery hold a charge? If the battery is weak, the PTO could be getting all the charge!

:hitting_self_roller: Good point..  Guess I didn't wonder how long of a "While" he was talking about..  If the cell was bad I wouldn't guess it would mow for a half hour??  Oh well..

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 03:59 PM

:hitting_self_roller: Good point..  Guess I didn't wonder how long of a "While" he was talking about..  If the cell was bad I wouldn't guess it would mow for a half hour??  Oh well..

Until both the battery and the charging system are tested, it's hard to say what is exactly the problem!

#8 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 05:09 PM

He said it is a new battery, replaced after this started happening with the old batter on it. He doesn't know much about it so I will see if I can get at it and see if I can figure it out.

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,337 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 02:03 PM

It Could be a bad Key Switch or PTO switch And relay or a burnt out Diode on the stator or a faulty Regulator or the stator is cooked.

My CC 2165 is basically the same tractor and it had a similar problem.But my battery was NEW and still started the tractor.I replaced the Ignition switch and PTO switch and PTO relay in mine.The parts cost me $40 but this was a year and 1/2 ago.I see prices are steadily going up.

I'm going to say in your case that the voltage regulator or Stator is the problem.I see them on Ebay for around $25 each.One of our Site supporters may be able to help you with parts.PM Bob AKA BHTS here http://gardentractor...omMemberID=945  or JoesOutdoorPower Here http://gardentractor...omMemberID=8241