• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:14 AM

I recently purchased a closed side LGT 165.  It has 50 inch deck.  Runs decent but needs some tuning.  This is my first hydro, so I have a couple questions.  Where does one check and fill the hydro fluid?  Second, what type fluid should be used?  Third, can I tell the year of this machine by the serial number?

I will be needing to find some parts for it.  The brake drum is loose and worn out in the center.  The front axle pivot is very worn as are the spindle bushings.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Welcome to GTT. That is a good tractor. Check our Manuals section where you can download 3 manuals per day for free. Check with our site sponsors and NAPA for parts. Good Luck, Rick

BTW we love pictures.

Edited by boyscout862, April 10, 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:54 AM

Welcome to the forum! Checking fluid is by opening the pipe plug on the back of the transaxle:

Image001A.jpg

The vent can be removed and used to fill, but have the other plug screwed part way in as fluid will come out there as you fill it.

I used a universal fluid, 20W. The Eaton 11 does not like ATF!

As far as the year, I just go off the engine #'s. We have not found a way to use the tractor serial as there is no published production #'s we have found yet.

• Sprint 6 said thank you

#4 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:43 AM

:welcometogttalk:   :wave:

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:55 AM

The front axle pivot is a bit tricky to repair, as it will need to be welded up as the frame holes are what wears out usually. There may be a thread here somewhere of this being done.
Kenny is spot on on the filling and checking. I use a multi-purpose hydraulic/transmission fluid that is used in most new tractors today.
If you live in a warm climate I would reccomend an aw32 oil . it holds up better to heat.
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the info.  I may try to get pictures up, have to have the wife help with that, not good at it myself.  It is not the greatest looking, the paint and decals are intact, but the front grille shell has battle damage that has been obviously banged out from the inside.  The lights are also missing.

I was wondering what took the load in the front axle pivot, the axle or the frame.  I assumed it was probably the frame.  The axle has a noticeable tilt back and the play eats up some of the steering movement.  I also need to take the lash out of the steering box.  Other than the front issues, it is fairly straight and in good shape.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 01:59 PM

Next questions.  Should the hydro be checked with the engine running or not running?  Should it be cold or operating temp?  Thanks.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 04:14 PM

What check are you talking about? If it's fluid level, have it on a level surface and not running. If you plan to change the fluid, remember it also has a filter, though that may be an inline. If so, get ready for sticker shock! Mine cost me over $90! Next time, I will change it to a screw on.

• Sprint 6 said thank you