• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 12:11 AM

It was one of those days. Uncovered my wifes tractor to use it and it wouldn't stay running. Then the battery died. Charged the battery and she ran

Went to the store and had forgotten my wallet. Just enough coins in the cup holder to get what I wanted. Got home, drove the van up on my ramps to do an oil change. As I set the parking brake I heard a pop and the brake pedal went to the floor. How lucky can you get. I had burst a brake line. With it up on the ramps it will be alot easier than just on jack stands.

Tonight, the only sports team that I watch won its championship. It was a lucky day.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 01:01 AM

If you pick one up I'll go halves with ya :D :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,998 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 05:24 AM

It's always good, when the night has a surprise for you :thumbs:

#4 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 05:49 AM

It sure is nice to remind ourselves just how blessed we are. Glad things work out in your favor. Oh and hopefully today (or maybe it came yesterday) you'll be able to add to your list of good fortunes when an envelop arrives with MONEY in it for your tractor fund. :thumbs:

#5 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 05:54 AM

That man is lookong out for you

larryd

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:36 AM

Thanks guys. I know that I have been blessed. In the last 45 years of driving almost all of mine( and my wifes) breakdowns have been in our own driveway. I did not get out again to purchase a ticket. My truck has bad rot so I won't drive it until I can fix that too. I will have to rely on my son for getting out but He is in college all day. He does not like to drive and only drives to and from school and to the gas station in town. He has his own car.

I will work on the brake lines all day. I have to replace them all before the rain starts this evening. Fortunately, I was planning on doing this and already have the parts. It is just a very difficult and painful job. I've done it before and I can do it again. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 10, 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 09:10 AM

It never happens when it is convenient,  but like you said at least it happened in your drive and you were able to get it up on the ramps.  Good luck with the repairs.

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 08:40 AM

Well, It took until 1130 last night to finish the brakes. I replaced six lines. It is a good thing that I bought my brakes lines in bulk years ago. I used 17 feet of 1/4" and 13 feet of 3/16" steel line. As I was out of practise the first double flare took over 10 minutes but the last one took less than 5. One trick that I used was to duct tape the old and new lines together as I progressed with the bending. This helped get much better alignments.

Most of the lines looked good until you checked at the clips. Thats where the corrosion concentrates. Good Luck, Rick

#9 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 02:56 PM

Glad to here you got it finished. The tape idea is a good one!  ( good ole dust tape) :D

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 10:18 PM

1/4" brake line?What kind of vehicle? the onlu ones I remember using any 1/4 is some older Ford trucks and RWD vans everything else seems to use 3/16... I have replaced LOTS of steel brake lines over the years. I hate the newer ISO bubble flares.

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 08:27 AM

1/4" brake line?What kind of vehicle? the onlu ones I remember using any 1/4 is some older Ford trucks and RWD vans everything else seems to use 3/16... I have replaced LOTS of steel brake lines over the years. I hate the newer ISO bubble flares.

Its a 99 GMC Savanna. Mcyl to equalizer and equalizer to the back lines were 1/4". The rest were 3/16". I have a real nice double flaring tool from the 50's that does a great job but is large. The job is a pain but it didn't cost much because I used lines that I already had in stock. I bought the 1/4" line in 25' rolls from Whitney many years ago and a tube full of 5' x 3/16" lines from Northern Auto a couple of years ago.