44 replies to this topic

#1 Lurch5038 OFFLINE  

Lurch5038
  • Member No: 32029
  • 7 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 11:40 PM

Hi everyone

First post! I've been lurking here for awhile, just haven't had a reason to post until now. I got my first Bolens recently! No post like this is complete without pics so I'll just get right to it.

The few things I know about it...

Bolens 1000

6spd Tranny (3xHi/Lo)

Wisconsin 10Hp

When I picked it up they'd cleaned it off for me, and let me know that the seal on the tiller had started to leak, so they threw in a second one! I think the second is in far better shape than the one that's on it, but as you've probably guessed by now I don't really know exactly what I have..

I plan on using it, so restoration is a distant dream at this point, although I wouldn't be opposed to throwing some paint on there and redoing the seat.. There's definitely some farmboy engineering on it already. I'm just diving into this full on, so I'm learning as I go, and have had a some frustrations with her so far..

1. Battery isn't charging off the generator, my actual batter charger is off site for the time being, so I've been having to jump it to get it started, and it doesn't seen to have the ump to charge the battery up well enough to start it by itself no matter how long it runs.
  2. When I got it, the guy had the PTO belts off. He sited kids playing and such, just wanted to limit the hazards, good enough reasoning to me. When I put them on the sheave it seems a bit tight, and will spin the tiller even with the PTO "disengaged" is this normal?
  3. Had the free rolling pin thing slide itself out which gave me no go when I put it in gear. Very depressing for awhile I thought I'd fubar'd the tranny
  4. Attempted my first till this afternoon, and it proceeded to push me fairly good across the yard. I'm guessing it's cause I didn't have the diff locked down? Everything I've heard says this shouldn't happen?
  5. The raising lever is sticky, and won't engage on slots without some finagling, which is difficult to manage while there's a tiller spinning and doesn't want to stop! Seems to be a legitimate hazard as I figured out the hard way today, so I think that's going to be my priority before I dare attempt to till again

Spent most of my afternoon until dark driving around the property just seeing what I could throw at it. I'm a happy camper right now, just need to put some work into it!

• Newpaws493, MailmAn, jd.rasentrac and 2 others have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,995 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 01:48 AM

:welcometogttalk:  I think, the guys from the Bolens herd know what to do (hier werden Sie geholfen!)

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,495 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 03:27 AM

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure the Bolens guys can help you along!

#4 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 04:50 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 05:12 AM

Welcome aboard!! :wave: Congrats on your Bolens! Helpful info should soon be on the way. Take it slow and dive into the manuals.

#6 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:12 AM

welcome aboard you're at the right place , nice tractor you're off to great start thanks for the pics. in Christ  goodnews

#7 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:26 AM

welcome and congrads on your bolens  nice looking tractor    and no these starter generator will not charge up the bat. they only maintain it, get the bat. charged  up and you'll be good to go     in Christ  goodnews

Edited by goodnews, April 10, 2013 - 07:27 AM.

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Welcome, that's a nice looking tractor!

Ben W.

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:42 AM

First off, Welcome to GTT :wave:

Hi everyone

First post! I've been lurking here for awhile, just haven't had a reason to post until now. I got my first Bolens recently! No post like this is complete without pics so I'll just get right to it.

Bolens 1000

6spd Tranny (3xHi/Lo)

Wisconsin 10Hp

When I picked it up they'd cleaned it off for me, and let me know that the seal on the tiller had started to leak, so they threw in a second one! I think the second is in far better shape than the one that's on it, but as you've probably guessed by now I don't really know exactly what I have..

Hard to tell (Pics arent loading right for me today) But that black tiller looks to be from a different series tractor.
The Tractor should have a Wisconsin TR-10D. They were advertised as 10HP by Bolens but they were actually rated for 8.25HP

I plan on using it, so restoration is a distant dream at this point, although I wouldn't be opposed to throwing some paint on there and redoing the seat.. There's definitely some farmboy engineering on it already. I'm just diving into this full on, so I'm learning as I go, and have had a some frustrations with her so far..

1. Battery isn't charging off the generator, my actual batter charger is off site for the time being, so I've been having to jump it to get it started, and it doesn't seen to have the ump to charge the battery up well enough to start it by itself no matter how long it runs.

As goodnews posted above these were not designed to bring a battery back from the dead, but only maintain the charge and run the lights (If you had them)

I'd take care of that battery situation right away as you will damage the starter if you keep running on a dead battery...

Good Luck with the project, We are here if you have questions :thumbs:

#10 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:50 AM

Sounds like you might need a new battery, but I'd at least try charging it first.  If it won't hold a charge, that's why you have to keep jumping it every time.

As for the PTO belt, it could either be the wrong belt (I had problems myself with my 850 finding the proper belts that would fit) or the PTO jackshaft isn't adjusted right.  The lower pulley where the belt runs to that the PTO driveshaft attaches to is adjustable up or down to get the right tension on the belt when it is engaged.  If the PTO is running even when it is disengaged, then the jackshaft is probably all the way down and you need to raise it.  There are 3 bolts that hold the jackshaft to the front axle, just loosen them up and push the PTO jackshaft up to loosen the belts up a bit and then tighten the bolts down.  Do you have the lower PTO pulley belt guard on your tractor as well?  If this is missing, it can also cause your PTO to spin when it is disengaged.  This belt guard helps keep the belt slack pushing upward so when the PTO is disengaged the belt is loose around the engine pulley.  If the guard is not there, then the belt will slide down onto the engine pulley and continue to spin.  It will also make the engine harder to start as it will be under load when you are trying to engage the starter. 

Hope this helps you out some and gives you some things to check out and think about with your Bolens 1000.  Welcome to the site and looking forward to hearing your progress on this tractor.

#11 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hard to tell (Pics arent loading right for me today)...

Actually, I'm having the same problem myself with pictures not loading. Is it a site issue or is it on our end? What browser are you using, Bolens 1000? I'm using Firefox 19.0.2 myself. I can bring up the enlarged version of my own photos that I post, but not anyone else's that uploads them to this site by attaching them to their post for some reason. Not sure what the problem is...

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 09:07 AM

Actually, I'm having the same problem myself with pictures not loading. Is it a site issue or is it on our end? What browser are you using, Bolens 1000? I'm using Firefox 19.0.2 myself. I can bring up the enlarged version of my own photos that I post, but not anyone else's that uploads them to this site by attaching them to their post for some reason. Not sure what the problem is...

Tired IE and firefox but still wont load :confuse:

#13 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 09:13 AM

Welcome! Great looking tractor. Be careful they are addictive. Glad to hear that you plan to use it, hate to see a useful tool wasted.

Hi everyone

Bolens 1000

6spd Tranny (3xHi/Lo)

Wisconsin 10Hp

2. When I got it, the guy had the PTO belts off. He sited kids playing and such, just wanted to limit the hazards, good enough reasoning to me. When I put them on the sheave it seems a bit tight, and will spin the tiller even with the PTO "disengaged" is this normal?
  3. Had the free rolling pin thing slide itself out which gave me no go when I put it in gear. Very depressing for awhile I thought I'd fubar'd the tranny
  4. Attempted my first till this afternoon, and it proceeded to push me fairly good across the yard. I'm guessing it's cause I didn't have the diff locked down? Everything I've heard says this shouldn't happen?
  5. The raising lever is sticky, and won't engage on slots without some finagling, which is difficult to manage while there's a tiller spinning and doesn't want to stop! Seems to be a legitimate hazard as I figured out the hard way today, so I think that's going to be my priority before I dare attempt to till again

Spent most of my afternoon until dark driving around the property just seeing what I could throw at it. I'm a happy camper right now, just need to put some work into it!

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,495 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 09:14 AM

I had an issue earlier this morning trying to look at pics in a post. Just wouldn't open it.

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 10:20 AM

Congrats on the new tractor and welcome to GTTalk!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, 1000