First post! I've been lurking here for awhile, just haven't had a reason to post until now. I got my first Bolens recently! No post like this is complete without pics so I'll just get right to it.
The few things I know about it...
6spd Tranny (3xHi/Lo)
When I picked it up they'd cleaned it off for me, and let me know that the seal on the tiller had started to leak, so they threw in a second one! I think the second is in far better shape than the one that's on it, but as you've probably guessed by now I don't really know exactly what I have..
I plan on using it, so restoration is a distant dream at this point, although I wouldn't be opposed to throwing some paint on there and redoing the seat.. There's definitely some farmboy engineering on it already. I'm just diving into this full on, so I'm learning as I go, and have had a some frustrations with her so far..
- Battery isn't charging off the generator, my actual batter charger is off site for the time being, so I've been having to jump it to get it started, and it doesn't seen to have the ump to charge the battery up well enough to start it by itself no matter how long it runs.
- When I got it, the guy had the PTO belts off. He sited kids playing and such, just wanted to limit the hazards, good enough reasoning to me. When I put them on the sheave it seems a bit tight, and will spin the tiller even with the PTO "disengaged" is this normal?
- Had the free rolling pin thing slide itself out which gave me no go when I put it in gear. Very depressing for awhile I thought I'd fubar'd the tranny
- Attempted my first till this afternoon, and it proceeded to push me fairly good across the yard. I'm guessing it's cause I didn't have the diff locked down? Everything I've heard says this shouldn't happen?
- The raising lever is sticky, and won't engage on slots without some finagling, which is difficult to manage while there's a tiller spinning and doesn't want to stop! Seems to be a legitimate hazard as I figured out the hard way today, so I think that's going to be my priority before I dare attempt to till again
Spent most of my afternoon until dark driving around the property just seeing what I could throw at it. I'm a happy camper right now, just need to put some work into it!