Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Dad's New Ride!

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:59 AM

What a cool story!  Not only a great deal but you were also able to bond with your dad as well.  That was pretty cool what you did for him.  :thumbs:

• Moosetales said thank you

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 10:16 AM

Great story and a very nice setup for your Dad! That looks like a very nice tractor and only 314 hours! The loader is a huge help for all kinds of moving and lifting projects!

#18 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 11:24 AM

congrats to your Dad!  :thumbs:

#19 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 11:42 AM

What a cool story!  Not only a great deal but you were also able to bond with your dad as well.  That was pretty cool what you did for him.  :thumbs:

We might get a bit more bonding in when we have to share the dog house since we've added another tractor to the family. :bigrofl:

My wife is happy since I'm toying with the idea of selling one of my other tractors so I can "buy" into this rig with my dad.

• Trav1s said thank you

#20 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Quick update. I jumped on the tractor this morning to do a little "light digging".....since the tractor was delivered to my house (I was closer to the seller) it was my DUTY as a son to work out any kinks or bugs in the system. Anyways, the bucket lifted fine but wouldn't tilt up or down. Fearing the worst I texted Pete and he got right back to me. He just changed one of the hydraulic lines so he figure it's either air in the line or he said every once in a while that would happen and if he backed the throttle off and let it idle and then tried it again it would be back to normal (thinking maybe back pressure or something of the sort).

Pete offered more assistance if I needed it which was reassuring to have a skilled mechanic as the PO and still be willing to correspond after the sale.

I'm going to replace a bearing in the tiller, an o-ring in the rear PTO valve and look at a few small hydro leaks before turning it over to dad....oh and if I get to it I'll throw a little polishing compound on the tin.

I have NEVER driven a tractor with hydraulic steering. To say I'm AMAZED is an understatement. I can literally drive the tractor with the end of my pinky.

Enough for now. I'll report in later.

• KennyP said thank you

#21 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Great score, hopefully you get it all straighten out by this fall, >> Dad, you know these things take time :D

#22 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Great score, hopefully you get it all straighten out by this fall, >> Dad, you know these things take time :D

Thanks for the script!

#23 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:01 PM

That's one fine looking tractor. The front assist will give you that extra oomph of traction when ever you need it.

#24 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:54 PM

That should be able to move your Dad's rock! It looks like a very strong and capable machine!

#25 rdrat69 OFFLINE  

rdrat69
  • Member No: 28215
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:08 PM

glad to see a cool machine,going to cool people-thats really great-Kyle

#26 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 10:41 PM

Well, I spent some time with the 7020 today working out some bugs. I drained the hydraulic system...I haven't pulled the spark plug and drained the rest of the system but most fluid is out. One of the hydraulic lines had been spliced by the PO and I'm weighing my options of whether or not to install a new line or continue using the spliced line.

The PO and I are in the process of troubling shooting a problem with the bucket cylinder (curl) that tilts the bucket up and down. He replaced the seals in one of the power steering cylinders as they had gone bad. In talking with an Ingersoll rep yesterday the PO and the rep concluded that their likely was a pressure buildup when the seals in the steering cylinder went bad that may have caused the seals in the bucket cylinder to "fold over" causing the bucket cylinder to not work under normal load.

My plan is to purchase a seal kit for the bucket cylinder and the PO has offered to assist me in rebuilding the cylinder. Since when have you heard of a seller on CL standing by the machine he sells and offering to help the next owner out as Pete has offered to do for me? I'm excited to get the bugs worked out so dad can begin using his new machine around his place.......WAIT......the more bugs I find to work out the longer the tractor gets to stay at my place. On that note, I did notice there is a small crack in the vinyl in the seat, and the paint really should be buffed out and the bucket has some paint scraped off it and could use a new paint job and..........

Back to the topic of the bucket cylinder. Pete and the Ingersoll rep's hypothesis makes sense to me since the bucket will tilt some when the engine is running at a low idle.....i.e. less hydraulic pressure is running through the system which allows for the fluid to flow instead of folding the seal over when under normal pressure. Thoughts?

I might add, the steering cylinder seals went bad just a few days ago and the PO just replaced the seals in the steering cylinder a day or so before I made the purchase so he had not run the machine much and would not have known about this issues. Life is full of little surprises.

While I've got the hydraulic system drained I plan on changing out the seals in the flow valve in the back that runs the tiller (leaking) and tightening up some of the connections in the system to stop a few small leaks here and there.

I am finding mixed information about the use of teflon tape (and other sealants) on hydraulic connections. Some are using Permatex #2 or other sealants. What do you all use on your hydraulic connections to get a good seal? Thanks.

#27 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 11:34 PM

First off make sure the fitting is pipe thread and not compression or flared fittings. Teflon or other sealant apply 2 or 3 treads away from end of fitting to lesson chance of it getting in the system.  

#28 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Well, I have the parts lined up to rebuild the bucket cylinder, the tiller bearings and the rear flow control valve. I replaced the hose clamp on the bucket with a "pipe hanger" clamp; nothing agents hose clamps just looks a little cleaner.

Before

2013-04-10 23.31.38.jpg

After

IMG_1005.JPG

As you can see, the bucket cylinder is leaking a bit.

2013-04-10 23.24.51.jpg

The PO spliced what I believe to be the return line for the power steering pump. He had a small coupling before and I replaced it with brass (pipe threaded) fittings. As I think I mentioned before, the line was too short so it was pulling out of the old coupling. I added some length to the line by doubling up on the couplings. I would have replaced the line if it had been easier to get at the end under the tractor. Somethings are better left alone.

IMG_1011.JPG

The spliced line enters the hydraulic pump over on the right hand side of the pic below (the hose with the yellow ring).

IMG_1009.JPG

I drained the hydraulic system and will refill once all parts are back together. I have the plug wire pulled and the key stored separately so I don't forget and try to start her up. This will give me a chance to fill with proper fluid for summer. Now to wait for the parts.

Edited by Moosetales, April 15, 2013 - 07:36 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Sounds like you are on a roll, there. Nice fixes so far!

#30 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Dear Dad,

I know you follow me her on GTTalk so I'm writing to give you a heads up. Yes, I've got your tractor in a few more pieces than it was earlier today but I promise to put it back together better than it was before. As I told you on the phone yesterday (or today) I found a hole in one of the hydraulic return lines so I cold called Hydraulic Solutions of New England this morning to inquire about a replacement hose. I can't tell you how pleased I was with the service delivered by Will and Cody. Will answered the phone and let me know he may not have the correct tubing I needed but told me to come out and he'd take a look. When I got out there Will dropped what he was doing and got Cody to go out back and look for the correct hose. While I was waiting, Will and I struck up a conversation about the curl cylinder that I'm needing to rebuild. Will told me that he could likely rebuild the cylinder for less money than I could buy the rebuilt kit and that he'd likely be able to give me a "first time" customer discount. So, my plan is to pull the bucket (curl) cylinder off the 7020 and take it up to Will on Friday to see what magic he can perform. BTW, I learned today that Cody's dad and Will's dad are partners and own the company. I told Will they should do a reality TV show featuring the work life sons working for their fathers. Within 10 minutes or so Cody had a new hose made up (far better than what was on the tractor to start with) and for a nominal fee I had the new tube and I was off to work.

So, when I got home today I dug into the tractor. One thing led to another and I ended up removing part of the hydraulic lines to get to where I needed to make some repairs. Don't worry, I'll have you machine put back better than new shortly. Here are a few pics of what she looks like right now.

New and Old Hydraulic lines:

2013-04-24 18.40.16.jpg

Making repairs:

2013-04-24 19.31.59.jpg

2013-04-24 19.38.27.jpg

2013-04-24 19.38.42.jpg

Hose that's cracking and leaking on the hydraulic oil cooling radiator:

2013-04-24 20.25.03.jpg

As you can see, I've got all the ports covered so the lines should be "safe" from debris:

2013-04-24 20.24.20.jpg

2013-04-24 20.24.33.jpg

To anyone in Maine (or NE) who needs hydraulic work done I would highly recommend this outfit.

709 China Road

Winslow, ME 04901

Phone: (207) 859-9955

Edited by Moosetales, April 24, 2013 - 08:26 PM.