62 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 11:03 PM

Every tractor purchase should come with a story. My story starts out in an odd sort of way. You see, my dad loves rock, granite to be specific. He has mastered the art of moving rock with block and tackle as well as an old car hood towed behind his car. He enjoys the old school when it comes to moving and laying stone. Here are some picks of what he loves to do with rock:

2012-07-29 10.34.30.jpg

2012-07-29 10.42.02.jpg

2012-07-29 10.52.01.jpg

2012-07-29 19.44.29.jpg

2012-07-29 19.45.19.jpg

So, last night (or more accurately put...this morning) around 4 a.m. I woke not able to get back to sleep. I got up to do some work out in the garage but before I headed out I took a sneak peak at CL. Low and behold I discovered that around 8 p.m. last evening a guy, about 40 minutes from me, posted an Ingersoll tractor for sale and I instantly new it was exactly what dad needed (or should I say he definitely could benefit from having around his place). I shot off an email to the seller and then a short while later emailed him again stating that I could come out early this morning to take a look.

I waited as long as I could to call dad (6:30 a.m.) and when I finally reached him I asked if he would be interested in a tractor with a FEL? He bit. I gave him the details and explained we'd have to act quick if we were going to seal the deal. I called the seller (Pete) around 7:00 a.m. and referenced my previous emails and that I was close enough to bop down this morning if he was available. I explained that I did not think the tractor would be around this afternoon if I were to wait. Pete told me he had an appointment this morning and he needed to leave his house 8:30 to get there in time. He invited me down if I were interested.

That's all I needed to hear and off I went.

You see, I take our youngest to preschool every morning, so today was no different except things were gonna have to be a little different. Livi was going on a tractor run with daddy this morning school (actually daycare) was going to have to wait. We left around 7:30 and made it down to Turner by about 8:20. While Livi played in the garage I looked the tractor over, took it for a spin, asked a few pertinent questions and then sealed the deal. For a small fee Pete agreed to trailer it to my place later in the day and after writing him a check for half the sale amount (thanks to GTTalk members for giving me that handy little tool to use when not taking possession of a tractor right a way) Livi and I were off.

I got to work a little later than I had planned but I still got a full days work. After attended my son's Freshman Research Project presentation at his school my dad and I sprinted back to the house to meet up with Pete. Pete arrived on time and we took delivery of the tractor. Dad was a bit taken aback by the size and sheer power of the tractor. Pete gave dad the run down of the machine, a bit of history and a walk through of what needs to be fixed and what has already been fixed. Due to a mix up dad brought a check instead of cash but Pete never skipped a beat. He took dad's check, gave me back my check and after dad gave Pete an extra $20 to take his family out to eat Pete was off.

My dad and I stood in the driveway looking at the beast of a tractor that sat quietly in front of us. I fired her up and had dad jump aboard to take her for a spin. It was great seeing dad on his new to him tractor. Dad hemmed and hawed about what his first project would be, all the while I sat back and realized what had transpired today. It was a lot of things coming together just perfectly for me to seal this deal. I learned from Pete that his email and phone were lit up starting at 5 a.m., continued while I was out looking at the tractor and didn't stop till he took the post down. It feels great to have been able to put the knowledge I've learned here on GTTalk to use today to get a real nice deal for my dad.

Okay, enough about the back story. My dad is now the proud owner of a 2002 Ingersoll 7020 tractor. Along with the FEL it came with a 3 pt. hitch, 4' tiller and a home made weight bucket. Pete was the second owner. He bought it from the son of the original owner who was settling his father's estate. Pete had customized hubs built and machined for both front wheels due to the front left axle snapping a while back. (more on that later). I was aware that the axles in this rig were a problem so I was grateful to see the issue had been addressed.

I'll post a few pics of the tractor in a few.

Edited by Moosetales, April 10, 2013 - 11:39 AM.

• Gtractor, hamman, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 11:10 PM

Dad and his new ride.

IMG_0959.JPG

This is a rugged, tough and SOLID machine.

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

• hamman, HowardsMF155, CRFarnsworth and 3 others have said thanks

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 11:34 PM

That was a great story and what an awesome tractor!! That sure was a great thing you did for your dad! I can only imagine the projects he will do with his new toy! :thumbs: :worshippy1: :D

BRB going back to drool on your pictures a little more :love:

• Moosetales said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 11:35 PM

That sure is nice. Congratulations. Rick

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 12:11 AM

Wow that is quite a machine. If he gets tired of it tell him I will take it off his hands.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 03:41 AM

Nice score on that machine! I'm sure your Dad will enjoy it.

#7 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 05:33 AM

Thanks. I'm sure he will.

#8 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 05:57 AM

Go Dad!! Hope it serves him well! :thumbs:

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 05:57 AM

Great story an Dad sure looks happy. I bet he will be on it all day today.

#10 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:03 AM

Looks like a good machine and that's a great story.  I'm happy for you both. :thumbs:   But my wife will never see the pictures of those stones. My back hurts already. :D    Rick

#11 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:10 AM

Excellent story, thanks for sharing.  That looks like a beast of a GT.

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:30 AM

Great story, great find!  Front end loaders are always a score!

Ben W.

#13 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:32 AM

great tractor. glad ur dad loves it

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:46 AM

Great story and I'm sure your Dad will have a great time with that machine.  I'm sure he already has a long list of projects he would never have dreamed of tackeling without it.

#15 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:51 AM

that should make his work much easier that was a great find