Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:55 AM

OUCH!! Been there done that. I had just put a new slider in my old s10 and had to go with the father in law to pickup a table. Next thing I seen was him giving a final push of the table and then the window was gone. Only had that thing in for a couple hours good thing I still had the old one.

• MailmAn said thank you

#17 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Valuable lesson, thanks for sharing. Sometimes wish real life allowed do-overs.

#18 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 10:16 AM

How did you break a tailgate?  I've had to replace the tailgate handle more than a few times because they wear out for some reason and then I can't open the tailgate anymore, but other than that...

I've gone through 2 tailgate handles for my current Ranger.  They wear out because the stupid things are plastic.  I'd like to knock the head of the guy who decided that was a good area to go cheap!

The tailgate story goes like this: it was an old Chevrolet dually that we had on the farm.  Its useful life was long past, it had spent 100,000 miles pulling trailers, and it was mainly a beater truck.  It was nice, though, because the bed was large enough to haul a garden tractor without a deck, and it was low enough for ramps without making a 90 degree angle out of the ramps and the bed!  I would put ramps on the tailgate and run the tractor right up.  I had done it at least 100 times.  The old truck was solid, never had a lick of trouble.

Then came the day that I was picking up a Gravely walk behind L.  I hadn't used the truck for a couple months, since I had a trailer by then, but for some reason I decided to take the dually.  The Gravely got onto the ramp, but it was sick and needed a little love.  The engine had about 1/3 horsepower.  I put the thing in high gear (this is a regular 2 speed fast Gravely) and took the ramp at full throttle on a run.  It took a ever-so-small hop at the top of the ramp where it contacted the tailgate, and on the return to earth the tail gate broke, right at the hinge.  The Gravely had a bush hog deck, and it made it onto the truck from pure impetus.  Turns out the tailgate had nearly rusted through at the hinge, so that last "bang" was its last use. 

Ben W.

• MailmAn said thank you

#19 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hmm, I wonder why that posted double? 

I'll hire a moderator to repair that.

Ben W.