Epic Fail Of The Year!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MailmAn OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 10:49 PM

EPIC FAIL OF THE YEAR!!! (And 2013 has really only just begun!)

So, I was loading the back half of my Bolens Estate Keeper (See, this is still Bolens related!!!) back into my truck after having power washed it all off  (See here for more info:  http://gardentractor...ation/?p=304100) when I slipped (probably on all of the soapy wetness from the car wash stall) and lost my grip on the EK-10 rolling chassis (basically...)  I figured it wouldn't make it too far in the bed of my truck before I could climb into it to grab a hold of it and steer it into the corner where I wanted to bungee cord it into place.  But, I was wrong and it went rolling right square into the back window of my truck.  Needless to say, what do you think happened when this part:

...met my rear window?  Poor thing didn't stand a chance:

Yeah, I feel pretty much like a danged fool.  Plus, I don't have glass coverage on my truck, so that's money coming out of my Bolens Restoration Fund to fix the window on my truck.  Plus, "safety glass" just makes a damned mess that is a pain in the @$$ to try and clean up.  Hopefully going to try and get an appointment later this week to have all of the glass replaced in my truck.  I already needed a new windscreen as I have a 6 inch crack in it running up from the lower driver's side.  Not sure where it came from; probably started from a stone chip or something.  But I had been putting off fixing that for some time.  Now that my rear window is non-existent, I figure that is as good as time as any to replace both of them.  I just wish I hadn't cost myself another few hundred dollars in damages to my truck because of my own stupidity!  GRRR!!!  :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging:   Why does bad sh1% always keep happening to me?!?!  :mad2:

Edited by MailmAn, April 09, 2013 - 10:56 PM.

• MH81, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,538 Thanks
  • 3,075 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hate to rain on your parade, MailmAn, but you're not the only one. See Off Topic and our recent problems with the power co.

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,515 Thanks
  • 7,378 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 11:46 PM

You may save your self some money by buying a back slider window set up and installing it yourself.http://www.jcwhitney...w/p2000607.jcwx   For stock glass try Rock Auto http://www.rockauto.com/ The trick to installing the glass is to wrap a string in the weatherstrip channel and use it to pull the inner lip through the opening. Good Luck, rick

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#4 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,493 Thanks
  • 7,628 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 12:08 AM

that sucks. Don't do that again.

I think every one of my trucks has a  cracked window. We have had about 20 S10 trucks come through since we got Christine.and only one didn't have a cracked glass. I tossed a piece of steel in the bed of it and it hit another piece of steel and shot it straight up in the air and it landed squarely in the middle of the windshield.

#5 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,960 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 02:43 AM

Auweiah! $hit happens!

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,035 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 03:20 AM

Ouch. That kinda sucks!

#7 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:43 AM

Been there, done that :D

P.S. I vote for rear slider too.

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,240 Thanks
  • 7,472 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:48 AM

Did I ever tell ya' all about the time my grandpa bought a new car back in '37? New Chevy. Well he just picked it up from the dealer and was driving it back to the farm. A jack rabbit ran out in the road and was racing in front of the car ( this was in Nebraska ). Grandpa honked the horn at the rabbit and it jumped straight up in the air and came down through the windshield and landed on the seat. Honest!!!

• hamman and MailmAn have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,336 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:48 AM

The rear slider will only do him any good if he has time to open it before the (whatever) rolls forward and hits it...
  • MailmAn said thank you

#10 MailmAn OFFLINE  

• 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:31 AM

Good point MH81.  I probably wouldn't have thought to open the slider before loading it so hence the window would have been damaged anyways.  That, and I'm not 100% sure why, but I just don't like those rear sliding windows.  I know they could come in handy a few times to help loading extra long loads or to get some fresh air without opening the side windows, but I just don't like them.  I think they leak after a while and reduce your rear visibility a bit (albeit not much, but...)  I had a 1991 Chevy S-10 for about a year and a half and it had a sliding rear window and a cap over the bed and I didn't really like that.  Of course there are sometimes now when I'd at least like a tonneau cover, if not a cap, over the bed to protect stuff from the elements.

Ideally though what I think I would like is instead of replacing the rear window with a slider would be to replace it with a lexan window so it won't shatter in case something hits it again.  You know, basically make it a bulletproof rear window.  I wonder how much that would cost though and if any companies make replacement window glass out of lexan that would be a direct fit?

#11 1978murray OFFLINE  

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:35 AM

i threw fire wood though a truck window like that before

#12 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,392 Thanks
  • 3,812 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:37 AM

Chevy cabs flex too much is why most break the windshield without getting a rock chip first.  If you have a Chevy with a crack along the bottom running horizontal with no obvious chip it was caused by cab flex.  :(

• MailmAn said thank you

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Ouch.  I haven't done that yet, although I did break a tailgate once.

Ben W.

#14 MailmAn OFFLINE  

• 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Ouch.  I haven't done that yet, although I did break a tailgate once.

How did you break a tailgate?  I've had to replace the tailgate handle more than a few times because they wear out for some reason and then I can't open the tailgate anymore, but other than that...

Edited by MailmAn, April 10, 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 08:49 AM

I don't know how many time something has happened and I'm left standing there thinking now why did I do that!   When I was 17 or 18  I had borrowed my uncle brand new Pontiac Lemans convertible, 350 w/ 4 on the floor, for a date.  The deal was that I would clean it up inside and out for use.  I was cleaning the inside and I reached over to do clean the passenagers side dash and when I did I bumped the gear shift and knocked it out of gear.  The car rolled back, I went to hit the brakes but got the clutch instead and by that time the end of the drivers side door contacted the end of a brick wall messing the door up and the left front fender.

To this day I set the parking brake even in an automatic.  Things happen and you just have to roll with them.  Thing is that down the road it will be just a memory and you will end up talking about it like it wasn't a big deal.

• MailmAn said thank you