Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

MF GC 2300 thermostat to change temp ???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 14, 2010 - 06:34 PM

Have a question and advice from others. My GC2300 being a Deisel has a 160 degree thermostat in it.What I was wondering is if I was to put say a 195 degree one in would it hurt it at all.Last winter even blowing snow I had to put a cardboard in front of the rad with a 4" hole cut out in the middle of it to get any heat out of it.Now seeing that I have a heater in the cab it didn't really throw all that much heat in the cab.The other thing when you turn the heater on it also acts as another rad.So just wondering about putting in a higher temp thermostat would it hurt the diesel engine in anyway.The tractor had a idiot light for temp but I've installed a actual guage so can watch the temp of the antifreeze.I do know that the oem thermostat is built with a offset so that the idiot lights sensor could slip down into the housing.Because I've changed to a guage the sensor doesn't do that anymore and I can use any regular thermostat now.So been wondering if it would be a wise thing to do or not.Larry

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 15, 2010 - 08:04 AM

I can't see that a 195 thermostat would hurt anything,but that being said I don't know for sure .Why don't you ask your MF dealer ,he could probably tell you.

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted October 15, 2010 - 08:18 AM

165 sure does seem low. Most all diesel engines run in the 195 range. Anything less than 180 and heater do not work well.
As Maynard mentioned check with your dealer.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 15, 2010 - 09:20 AM

Never heard of such a low temp thermostat. ALL our tractors have at least 180's.

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 15, 2010 - 11:11 AM

I just came home from town with the 180 degree one going to put it in and see if it makes any difference. I figure I run 195 s in my car and truck as well as in the MF 175 so thats what Ia'm doing.Thanks for the reply's .Larry