Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Kohler Starter Only Works When Engine Is Turned By Hand.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Got a Kohler Ch22S  on a Yazoo/kees that the starter will only engage after you turn the engine by hand.

Give you a bit of some history.  The owners husband was great at re-engineering things and this mower was no exception.  He passed away about a year and half ago. During the course of things he put a toggle switch in to replace the PTO switch and a push button to start it with plus all the extra wiring and connections.  Last summer while cutting it suddenly cut off and then when they started it and engaged the PTO it would kill the engine.  They took it to a shop which proceeded to change out the starter, ignition switch, batter and change the oil and oil filter. It started blowing fuses when you turned the ignition on so the shop put it in the back and didn't touch it again.  

The owner asked me to get it and take a look at it.  The first thing I did was get rid of all the extra wiring and put it back to stock.  I then found they had installed the wrong ignition switch so I changed that out and that fixed the blowing fuse problem.  Then I found the PTO switch was bad as I had suspected and replace it.  So now everything is back the way it should be but the one problem is when you turn the ignition to start you hear the Solenoid  go home but it does not turn over the engine.  Check the battery and it test's good with a battery tester and it has a full charge.  You can how ever turn the engine by hand and then hit the ignition switch and then the starter engages and the engine starts.  Once it is started everything works.  One other thing is sometimes I have to turn the engine over by hand more then once.

I have also inspected the flywheel and it looks good, teeth are all good and not nicks or bent teeth.  I'm thinking maybe it needs to be shimmed but the parts breakdown does not call for any shim's and nothing is mentioned in the service manual as well.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Is the starter engaging at all? Maybe when you shut it down and if it ends on the compression stroke, the starter does not have the oomph to get it over the compression; then when you turn it by hand it gets past it, then the starter can get a "running start" with the the few revolutions before the next compression stroke.

Have you bench tested the starter?

• HDWildBill said thank you

#3 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:14 PM

I had a b&s starter do similar thing> the top bearing bad if it would hit with teeth lined up it crank but if it had to line itself up it would bind and not turn.   

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Bill, I have never worked on one of these but.. besides a bad ground or faulty starter. I wonder if it needs a valve adjustment or if something is wrong with the ACR? I had a Honda clone that did a similar thing and I found the valves were way... out of spec, I adjusted them and it was back to normal. I would imagine this engine has the ACR?

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:33 PM

One more thing is the PTO disengaging?

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:38 PM

If this is a starter with the solenoid ON the starter, then the issue might be the teeth aren't meshing, thus preventing the solenoid from completely engaging, to where the contacts don't touch to engage the starter.  Can be caused by the teeth on the bendix are worn to where they are blunt on the end, solenoid is getting weak to where it won't self align the teeth to the ring gear, and a weak battery can also do it.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:47 PM

One thought I have is whether the battery is really that great.  Do you have a load tester?  The first "umph" on a tight engine is the biggest drain on a battery.

I wonder if the starter is worn out of round?  Maybe it is hanging up?

Ben W.

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the reply's.  The starter is brand new and checks out on the bench.  Yes it does have the solenoid mounted to the starter. The battery is also brand new and has been load tested.  One thing I did notice this afternoon was that if you loosen up the two bolts you can move the starter up and down quite a bit.  I'm not sure where they got the starter from.  This makes me think there is an alignment problem.  I think I'll try and get the old starter and compare the two.

if the starter engages the flywheel the engine starts right up and sounds sweet, so I'm not to sure about the valves being out.

• chris m said thank you

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 08:52 PM

You are probably right on the alignment being the problem, I have seen issues like that before. The problem I mentioned had just thrown me for a loop, and the valves were the last thing I checked. And even then it took awhile for me to find out what the valve lash was supposed to be, not a lot of info out there on the clones! After finding the specs I found the valve lash was so wide that when the ACR was supposed to hold the valve open it wasn't opening enough.

Good luck on it! I hope it is an easy fix for you!