#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 02:05 PM

My dilema is that I have a 3pt on the back of Charlie (Sears Custom 10XL) and I have this Brand new Agri-Fab sleevehitch rake that I need to make work so I can level my muddy drive. I do have a rear blade for the 3pt but I don't want to tear it up any more than I have to. I can put in a new 5/8 rod in the bottom of the tractor and make spacers for that, or I could heat and bend the sleeve hitch to fit on the existing rod and use it that way with drilling holed for the the lift arms. I have an extra Roper 3pt that I think I am going to use for this. I also have a New Huskavarna, Craftsman, MTD, Etc.. sleeve hitch that I could retro fit but that would be a lot more to do. I have looked at the Hitch and it appears that the lift point arms are at about a 70 degree angle in the nuetral / paked / up position. I am going to make some pieces of metal and make tham to the same size as on the sleeve hitch. I haven't quite figured out how to type below the pictures yet so I am going to post them and I think you will see what i am going to do. To make the spacers for the lower hitch point I am going to bore out a couple pieces of 1/2" black pipe with a 5/8" bit. I will weld a thick washer to each side of the pipe making the hitch not slide side to side. i will have to remove one rear wheel to take the old rod out and slide the new one in. I need to refil my tank for the wire welder next week and then I can get this done.    Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks. Roger 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF4006.JPG
  • DSCF4005.JPG
  • DSCF4007.JPG
  • DSCF4008.JPG
  • DSCF4009.JPG
  • DSCF4010.JPG
  • DSCF4011.JPG
  • DSCF4012.JPG
  • DSCF4013.JPG

• JRJ said thank you

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 02:24 PM

Templates of the brackets on the 3pt hitch arm.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF4018.JPG
  • DSCF4014.JPG
  • DSCF4016.JPG
  • DSCF4015.JPG

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 05:11 PM

Why not just make an A-frame for the 3-pt that has the sleeve hitch mount on it?  That way you won't have to take off the 3-pt to use the sleeve hitch attachments, and then put it back on to use 3-pt attachments.

I have one on my HDT1000 and it does double duty as it has the sleeve hitch on one side and a tow tab on the other.  I put a ball in the tow tab so I can move my trailer.

Here are pics of it.  The left shows a sleeve hitch Hang-N-Haul mounted, and the right is the trailer ball side .

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4515.JPG
  • 100_4533.JPG

Edited by OldBuzzard, April 09, 2013 - 05:12 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Buzzard I thought about that but, I have another tractor a Homelite T-16 H  that I am going to build a sleeve hitch for so I can use the sleeve implements on also. I have an aerorator , box blade, and single bottom plow that I want to use on it also. I have looked at those and have saved several sets of pictures and dimentions on them. It may still be something I can make in the future. I have to pick up some scrap steel in the morning and then I will fab it up. The simple way would be to just repalce the lower hitch pin with a longer one and make some spacers and drill out the sides of of the sleeve hitch and hook it to the 3pt. I just didn't want to drill holes in theat hitch. The 3pt is a spare one and I don't mind welding on it. Roger.

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Nice fab work......But the cardboard won't hold much! :poke:

• hamman said thank you

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Well....sometimes a fresh set of eyes make less work and more getting accomplished. When we got done with dinner toonight my son and I went to the garage and I showed him my progress and what i was planning. He looked at it and said why not use the holes for the lift arms and make a pin to hold the lift arm? I took a 1/2 " rod and cut it to length, cut the 5/8 " rod for the bottm and removed the old one and put the new one in. Slipped the upper lift rod arm in, attached the rake and it works great. Here are a few more pictures. I still need to drill joles in the rod for the pins and slip some washers on it and it should be good to go. Being that it is free floting behind the tractor I don't think I will need a guide / guage wheel on the back. Thanks. Roger.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF4030.JPG
  • DSCF4027.JPG
  • DSCF4025.JPG
  • DSCF4028.JPG
  • DSCF4021.JPG

• MH81 said thank you

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 09:10 PM

HAve it all done and working......however I have one flaw in my design. The rod that holds the lift arm pulls on it enough to bend it at the hole I drilled for the pins to keep that arm from sliding off to one side or the other. That rod is only a 1/2" rod. It will work for now but it is so cold in the garage that I can only be out there for a little while.before I get to cold. It will be back to the drawing board in the morning to see how I can fix it. Any suggestions? Thanks. Roger.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 06:13 AM

Is that the rod in the 3rd pic? I was thinking that might be an issue there. Could you put some tubing on each side of the link to help with strength?

#9 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Yes. I was afraid of that also. My thought was to try to tube it also. I got to thinking last night that maybe i could use a hardened 1/2" rod in its place and use thrust washers on each side of the lift arm??  If I use hardened rod I would also have to use the thrust washers on the ends also. Never have tried to drill hardened rod. Woun't be able to work on it much today supposed to get more snow (6-8") today and I want the truck back in the garage. I will post a picture of what I do. Thanks, Roger. 

• KennyP said thank you

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 05:52 PM

As I stated yesterday the lift rod on the 3pt hitch bent after I drilled holes for pins to hold the lift arm in the center of the rod. I got a new coated 1/2" rod today and picked up two 1/2" thrust washers. I recut the rod and installed it. I put the thrust washers on each side of the lift arm and tightened them up. I raised and lowered it several times and no sign of bending yet. I would of taken pics but forgot the camera and it was biteing cold in the garage today and I wanted to get the job done and cleaned up to put the truck back in teh garage tonight due to the ice and snow storm we are getting now. I will put up a pic or two tomorrow. I now have a hitch to work the single bottom plow, box scraper, and rake. I also have the 3pt hitch for the disc and rear blade. Thanks. Roger. 

• KennyP said thank you