• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:10 AM

Well, I didn't see anyplace to put the special cotter pin in the tiller shaft. I thought I looked it over pretty good. I can see on the shaft for the mower/snowblower where the pin would be installed, but don't see anywhere on the tiller. I guess it could be broken off.

What does a special cotter pin look like? I saw it referenced in the parts manual, but haven't seen one.

The freewheeling pin was pulled, and also frozen so I was trying to the the tiller off so I could get to it. Then when I couldn't get the shaft off the PTO, I just worked a hammer in and managed to drive the pin in. Of course, now I can't pull it out, but I sluiced it good with Kroil, so hopefully when I get back home I can get it moving.

Yours may not have the Hole in the shaft for the pin (Some had them and some didnt)

If the rear pins and lift bracket were taken off the tiller should just slide right out.

My Next guess judging by the tractor, it was left outside and the shaft may be rusted in place.

I'd spray some kroil near it and see if it breaks free, you may even want to run the tractor and turn the pto on and off a few times as that may Loosen its grip on the splines.

• Kfs35 said thank you

#17 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 01:05 PM

Yours may not have the Hole in the shaft for the pin (Some had them and some didnt)
If the rear pins and lift bracket were taken off the tiller should just slide right out.
My Next guess judging by the tractor, it was left outside and the shaft may be rusted in place.
I'd spray some kroil near it and see if it breaks free, you may even want to run the tractor and turn the pto on and off a few times as that may Loosen its grip on the splines.

Thanks, I will keep putting penetrating oil on it. It that doesn't work I can apply some heat.

Yep, it looks like it has been sitting outside for quite a while, and the tiller has been on for a long time too.

#18 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 03:26 PM

You might try thumping it with a hammer.  Not REAL hard as you don't want to bend the PTO, but a medium thump and then rotate it a bit, thump, rotate, thump...

The shock might help break the "rust weld".

• UncleWillie and Kfs35 have said thanks

#19 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Congratulations on your new to you Bolens 1050. Except for the tiller, that was my first Bolens buy. Also glad to hear that you have it running. I think when I had trouble getting a freewheeling pin out I removed the tire and wheel to give me better access. Even with the tiller off, it can be hard to get the right leverage to get the pin out.
  • Kfs35 said thank you

#20 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Quick update:

I got new tires installed on the front of both the 1053 and Rideamatic. They looked like originals on both, I'm surprised the Rideamatic hadn't blown out yet, they were in pretty rough shape. The wheels were really rusted on the inside, so I wire wheeled and put a coat of paint on them.

I had a really hard time getting the beads to seat for the 1053, the tires had been collapsed for shipping, and didn't want to cooperate. I tried a strap around the tire, and the starting fluid trick, and still had difficulty. The starting fluid warmed them up so they were a little easier to work with. Finally got them, but don't want to have to do it again for quite a while!

Hopefully next weekend I can try the tiller out.

Bob

#21 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Glad to hear you got it up and running. Like some of the other said, I would try cycling the PTO on and off a few times to see if that will help break loose the coupling. Be very careful beating of the coupling, it's cast iron and can break easily. New tires can be a real PITA to get to seat, glad you got them on. :thumbs:

• Kfs35 said thank you

#22 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Another update:

It took a lot of messing around, but I finally got the tiller off the tractor. I had to remove the PTO. Of couse, because the freewheeling pin was stuck engaged, I had to get that freed up before I could roll the tractor away. Once that was done, I put some heat on the yoke with a torch. But before I could use the torch, I needed to change regulators due to the acetylene regulator not working. at least i had a good set to put on. Oh yeah, I also had to pull one of the new front tires off and put some bead sealant on, because it had gone flat...

Finally, I could apply some heat to the yoke. Between heat, and a hammer and punch I drove the PTO shaft out of the yoke. I cleaned everything up, welded up the broken belt guard, and re-assembled. I need to get a seal for the input shaft of the tiller, the gear lube was running out pretty good. If we don't get any more rain this week, I hope to plow and till this weekend. Then I plan on getting the mower deck going. Hopefully all that involves is a new belt, everything seems to be in good shape. But considering how difficult just taking the tiller off was, it will probably be more involved than just the belt.

Oh well, I like working on them too!

It is certainly not going as easily as I had hoped, but I'm looking forward to getting some seat time soon.

#23 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 05:59 AM

Good to hear you're making progress :good_job:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1053, tube frame