5 replies to this topic

#1 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 07:49 PM

I have dug through my final Clinton box today, and found the bottom nicely padded with Niehoff ignition parts. Primarily coils, magneto and lighting, as well as these combination point/condensers.

They are next to useless since I don't have a clue what they fit.  I need something to cross old Niehoff numbers to a OEM manufacturer, or to a "real" AM part distributor that still is alive!!!  So far current manufacturers don't even seem to recognize Niehoff numbers. 

Does anyone have suggestions? 

Thanks in advance!

Ben W.

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 02:15 AM

I believe Niehoff was owned by NAPA. At least I was told this years ago.
  • superaben said thank you

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:47 AM

C. E. Niehoff is still in business making generators. Call them and see if there archives can help.

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 04:33 PM

Sorry no help, >>>>>>>> Just list them on ebay as vintage, and ask a high price.  :smilewink:

• superaben said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:44 PM

C. E. Niehoff is still in business making generators. Call them and see if there archives can help.

Good idea: I tried that, and all I got were blank looks. Niehoff seemed to forget that their company existed beyond alternators.  The college-age sounding gal I spoke with was not too bright on anything beyond a charging system, she wouldn't look anything up until I mentioned lighting coils.  :shoot2: Once I gave the number, she also told me that I did not have a Niehoff part.  I didn't care to inform her that it was in the original box.

I might try again later and get someone who is willing to hunt down information on paper, knows what a condenser and point set is, and who cares a little more about their customers. 

I believe Niehoff was owned by NAPA. At least I was told this years ago.

My local Napa's "old guy" remembered Niehoff, but he couldn't find any crosses. He ran a few numbers off the top of his head, rather impressive, but none of them matched what I have.  He didn't remember Napa carrying Niehoff, though, but he said he could be wrong.  He also couldn't remember who did carry it, so it could be a "touch of the alzy's"

Sorry no help, >>>>>>>> Just list them on ebay as vintage, and ask a high price.  :smilewink:

That's always the backup!  :D

Thanks to everyone for their answers.  I've got to stop finding old aftermarket car parts in my boxes, or I'll drive myself batty.

Ben W.

#6 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Years ago I bought a bunch of car and tractor parts at auction. I did manage to buy some parts books at the auction that helped on a few of the items but most of what I got didn't match the books. The ones that did didn't have reverse look up so it was search through for the right part number and then see what it fits. I've still got a lot left that needs moved. I wish Google books would get into scanning old parts catalogs. Anybody have any Thompson products books? They later became TRW but didn't seem to carry the numbering system over.