• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 16, 2010 - 09:02 PM

Just curious if anyone here owns a Speedex.
I used to have an S-19 that I sold to pay for My Bolens addiction.
They seem like a very mysterious tractor. Not too many people seem to talk about them.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 16, 2010 - 09:04 PM

Picture of the S-19

Attached Thumbnails

• 006.jpg

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 16, 2010 - 10:27 PM

Don't know anything about them, but I wish I had one! I would love to see one in person and take a bunch of photos but, like you said, they seem to be a mysterious tractor... at least around this part of the country.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 16, 2010 - 10:31 PM

They are pretty neat little tractors. And are very powerful. I was quite surprised because it is belt driven. I think I still have the manuals for it. I'll check and if I do I will add them to the site.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 16, 2010 - 10:35 PM

More pictures of it

Attached Thumbnails

• 008.jpg
  • 012.jpg
  • 011.jpg

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 07:22 AM

The one thing I think is unique about them is that instead of having a normal clutch the motor slides to act as the clutch, pretty simple and it works. I have never owned one but I did do a little reading up on them. There is a pretty good following for them. I would like to have one just to have it.

#7 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 09:59 AM

Yes, that is a pretty neat clutch set up. That's one of the reasons I'd like to see one. Seems like they were a well made , but simple machine. Do you know how many of the models used that type of clutch... maybe just the early ones??

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 10:14 AM

I am not 100% sure on what models had the motor slide clutch but I think it was mainly on the S series like the S-14, S-19 and so on but I could very well be wrong. Here is the history on Speedex:

In 1935 Harold Pond founded the "POND TRACTOR COMPANY", and built Speedex tractors. He developed the Model B which is the first four wheel garden tractor in America. It had tiller steering, steel wheels, Briggs & Stratton Model ZZ air cooled engine, a Ford Model-A transmission, and Ford Model-T rear axle. By 1940 it was sold with rubber tires and by 1941 it was sold with a 6HP Briggs engine. A 1941 Sales Pamplet lists the Co. name as "POND GARDEN TRACTOR CO." the Model-B tractors were built in 1939,1940,1941,1942,1943. During this time he also developed the Model A and C walk-behind Tractors. In 1942 the Model FG ( Farm and Garden )was developed using a Ford Model A 4-cylinder engine, Model-A transmission,and Model-T rear axle. Later FG's had Model-A rear axle.

It wasn?t until 1949 that Harold Pond then changed his company name to the "SPEEDEX TRACTOR COMPANY".

In 1950 Harold developed the M-23 which utilized his own differential and transmission design. Several models proceeded from 2 wheel tractors to other 4 wheel tractors, the D-4, M-8, M-12, M-14, M-16, M-23, M-25 and WT two wheel walk behind..
In 1957 Harold Pond sold his company to Maury Foote and Jerry Stowe. Harold and his wife Golda then moved back to his native state and town of Galesburg ,Kansas. Born April 30th ,1905 Horld E.Pond died on Nov. 18th 1966 at the age of 61.
Jerry Stowe was a school teacher and a successful potato farmer, specializing in varieties for the potato chip market. Stowe was incharge of Sales and Design. Maury Foote, a graduate of the Eastman School of music, was a teacher, then a manufacturer of road sign hardware, then a structural engineer, fabricator and salesman. Foot took over purchasing and the production end of business. Both men were owners, managers, and salesmen totally and directly active in the further design and promotion of the Speedex line of garden tractors. New changes included adding steering wheel control and the availability of many accessories for each tractor.. In 1959 the S-Series was introduced with the S-14 and S-23. In 1960 they adapted a front mounted mowing deck which was attached to the front axle. This was the first four wheel riding mower in America. They continued improving their design and adding new tools and implements. In 1966 Foot and Stowe introduced the Kohler engine as an option on the S18 tractor. Their production reached the optimum capacity of 1000 units a year and remained stable until they sold the company. In 1969, General Combustion, who merged with Mechtron International, boosted production to 1500 units a year and developed the "first full floating mower deck" and later developed the Model 832 which was the "first Diesel powered garden tractor" in America. Eagle Tractor owned and produced tractors for a short while introducing the Speedex Falcon and Speedex Eagle. In Feb. of 1992 The Eagle Tractor Co. was purchased by a partnership called Speedex Tractor Inc. In 1997, Speedex was aquired by Trans Tech International. and was located in Bolivar Ohio. The last model tractor was an impressive 1999 Model-2032 20hp Briggs two cylinder engine. Unfortunatly Tractor production stopped in the year 2000. Trans Tech still offers parts for many of the Speedex line of garden tractors.

This is the one place that seems to have the most information regarding Speedex tractors: http://www.speedextr....com/index.html

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 07:50 PM

I dont really know too much about these, but I got to talk to a speedex owner at the erie county fair last summer, and learned that earlier models had the engine that slid back and forth. The later ones clutch was connected to a spring and pulley system that tightned the drive belt when depressed. When I get time I will see what I got in my Box of tractor manuals, and see If I kept the speedex manuals. I know I kept the recipts I got from the PO.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 13, 2010 - 06:27 PM

I wouldn't mind having one ,but you don't see them up here.

Edited by mjodrey, March 13, 2010 - 07:43 PM.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 13, 2010 - 09:03 PM

I can't remember if I seen it on ebay or craigslist but a guy had three different speedex's for sale, I think it might have been ebay. If I had the extra cash I would snag em up.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 13, 2010 - 09:29 PM

I found the link to the three speedex tractors for sale, they were on ebay:
"SPEEDEX" Tractor Package Deal, (3) TRACTORS - eBay (item 220570520757 end time Mar-18-10 18:34:30 PDT)

#13 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 13, 2010 - 09:47 PM

Drool, Drool, Drool... that sure would be a mighty fine haul!!!!

Come on, George, you gotta go get them.
After all, they are in Pennsylvania!!!! :rofl2:

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2010 - 08:12 AM

I am going to keep and eye on them, they are on my watch list. I think the guy is about two hours away. I didn't map it though but he says he is in north central pa and we are in south central pa LOL

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted March 14, 2010 - 12:32 PM

That looks like a great bunch of Speedex.
From the pics, they look to be the more sought after older models, with the chain driven decks and the engines that slide forward to engage the transmission.