#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 06:24 PM

Sorry can't find or remember where that pix of the HF hoist is with added wood. I did mine just like it today. I drove my 990 onto it and BOY was that scary. Wanted to flop back and forth while still down. First it was leaning to one side, then I re-centered tractor and balanced better, but still wobbly. Tried to pump up which was impoosible now, levers trapped underneath the addition. Jacked up some with floor jack till I could finally get the lever to press down and make an action. Jacked up about a foot and whole thing just seemed to stiffen right up! Not sure why. Wiggled tractor around a bunch, felt it was safer now. Went all the way up with it, wiggling to test. Seemed fine once up, not scary anymore. Now, when I let it down again, it's almost like it goes too low and something in center makes it raise a tiny bit and is all floppy again. I DO have those locking tab feet down as noted in instructions. I'm going to have weld shop lengthen the levers I hope by 8" to be able to have to outside of wood extension. Hope they will not be TOO flexible to do the job when longer. They sure push hard to get started, but seem to be OK once it raises some and I have full stroke. OH, yeah, bent those Chinese ramps I used with the hoist right where the flat metal shoule be used on a tailgate. couldn't even take the Old 990 one foot above the ground, sheesh!
  • Traill95 said thank you

#2 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:03 PM

You must have built a much wider add on. The add on wooden frame on ours is only 42 inches wide and the 2x4's going across have a 1x4 underneath them inside the width of the oringinal frame to help stabilize it. Also our lift has only a 1000 lb Capacity. What is the weight of that 990?  The pump handle problem was solved by removing it and putting it in a vise and bending it outward until it stuck out passed the boards. Hope this helps.

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 02:43 PM

Went 3-1/2 foot wide, 42" then like yours. Bending out the lever....hmmm. I now have weld shop extending mine 8", but was afraid of making them weak, he says no problem. Hope so. The wood structure I added seems to be fine, just whole thing was loosey and that was only when all the way down. 990 is heavy, not sure weight,but I might be close to cap which is 1000 lbs. Wondering if I should try to widen the metal base width too with say some angle iron or such. Not sure if room for that or what yet.

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Mine is 48" wide but I also used 1 x 6 under the plywood to make a frame that sits into the channel of the table to add stability.   Make sure you service your jack and grease it regularly.  I've had a variety of tractors on mine with out any problems most recently a JD 320.  

I did cut out part of the extention so I could get at the foot pedals but bending it outs some might be a good option.

#5 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Widening the metal base might be a good idea. I would go with a stout piece of square tubing (2 inch square thick wall) and maybe adjusting bolts on the end for an unlevel floor.

Edited by Traill95, April 08, 2013 - 07:38 PM.