• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:07 PM

Coming back from town Good Friday morning we saw what looked like a bucket truck and a power truck pulled up under the power line that crosses the road at an intersection. Thought not much of it and went our merry way home, to find the power was out. Five hours later, the power comes back on, but no water, so went downstairs to check, and the breaker is tripped-- no big deal, flipped it and fine, the pump starts up, humms a while, and trips the breaker again. Not good, but by  now it's too late to call, and on Good Friday what good would it do anyway? Sat. morning we get the plumber out, and yup, the submersible pump is shot. So we pull 165ft. of pipe out of the well, change the pump, put it back down the well, et voila, we have water. We find out from the plumber that the power was out because what we thought was a bucket truck under the power line was actually a log hauler, who acidentally left his power take off engaged. That raised his picker boom as he went down the road. When he crossed the intersection it hit and broke not one but two power lines! Knocked the power out for better than 60 miles around for over five hours. Three days later I went to the freezer in the shop for ice cream-- it's all frosted up and the ice cream is soft. "Not good," I'm thinking. Freezer's plugged in, the light comes on, but the freezing unit  doesn't work on a 28 cu.ft. freezer full of meat. Phone the store, tell them to bring out a new freezer (the old one was new in 1969,) which they do, to the tune of $985.85. The water pump and plumber came to $1343.04-- Happy Easter, Olde Deeres! Then we get to thinking that this is too much of a coincidence--- was there a power serge when the boom truck hit the power line? Could the power Co. possibly be liable and maybe we'll get some coverage? Or will the poor guy who accidently left his power take off engaged  end up in even deeper trouble? What do you think?

• LilysDad and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:16 PM

Go for it, what have you got to loose. All they can say is no and if they do I would ask for a credit on your electric bill. The freezer being a 1969 could be a tough call but the submersible and the freezer would be tough to deny.   The power company has probably already started the process of filing a claim against the truck owner so I wouldn't wait long to contact them.

Good luck

• oldedeeres said thank you

#3 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:34 PM

I'd be calling my home owner's insurance agent first and then the power company.  Maybe they can fight it out.

• Team_Green and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 12:47 AM

I'd be calling my home owner's insurance agent first and then the power company.  Maybe they can fight it out.

Call your home insurance let them know what you were told and what all was burned up. 

#5 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 04:20 AM

The power company put a power surge through my brothers house and fried all his electrical appliances. They him to go buy new stuff and send them the bill. And they sent him a check. Computers, televisions etc. he was happy!

Joe

#6 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 05:27 AM

I'd notify the power company, they're problably going after the tree company which caused all this mess, if not, find out who's bucket truck that was that hit the power lines to begin with,and their insurance company ....

#7 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 06:12 AM

And in the mean time check out ALL of you other electrical appliances that were plugged in.  AC unit too if you have one, sump pump, etc. that you may not even use all the time.  If it was plugged in, check it out.

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:41 AM

Contact your insurance company, or broker. They have lawyers that should know the

procedures.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:02 AM

Start with your insurance carrier. They will either tell you you are covered or are not.
but if you are covered they will stand the loss and take action with the power company or truck operators insurance.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:03 AM

I agree with above. You need to involve your insurance company. They will want affidavits saying that the problems were caused by situations that developed from the outage.

If it was just the freezer or the pump... Stuff happens. But both together are indicative of a larger issue. Usually when we see this around here, it's a low voltage situation. (Brownout). Current goes up as voltage goes down to do the work... And the appliances are going to try until they burn up.

Also ask your neighbors and whatnot... If you can show a larger pattern, you may be better off in your stance.

Oh, and one other thing. You might want to read this: http://www.doityours...y#.UWFsnIy9KSM. And do some online research as to what these do and which version is the right one. http://www.appliance...-ap4503017.html

Keep in mind, a 3-in-1 is not "approved" by any manufacturer and you need to verify what is best for your specific machine. I prefer to use an OEM starter, but on a Sunday, you may be able to find one of these... An OEM for a 1969 freezer... Not likely.

Also, I have seen these snap a unit around for a week or two... Then it gives up completely... If you do anything like the, be warned and don't trust it for a while... I'm just thinking of all that food thawing.

Food thawing... Wait a min,
WTH am I thinking... They are going to have to cook all that... PARTY AT OLD DEERE'S PLACE... :smilewink:

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Power company won't give you a penny, but your homeowners insurance should cover the damage.

My dad has been through this several times.

#12 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 12:35 PM

"Power company won't give you a penny, but your homeowners insurance should cover the damage."

In one instance I know of the power company (NYSE&G) paid a buddy of mine off big.  The pole outside his house took a lightning hit and fried EVERY SINGLE THING in the house that was plugged in or running at the time.  When replacing the "stuff" on the line the forman called the company engineer to look at it and as it turned out the original installation of that "stuff" on company's side was a defective install.

SOMEHOW they felt it was good policy to tell my buddy what had happened and before any lawsuits began just go ahead and pay off.  This was back in the "Golden 70's" and I bet would not be the outcome today in 10,000 occurances.

#13 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the help, guys, we'll follow up on both Sask. Power and our insurance company. As it turns out, we know the log hauler quite well, real nice guy, private opperator, was just having "one of those days" that we all have now and again. He has no idea yet what all the repercussions are going to be, except that it's going to hurt, big time.

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 03:15 PM

Poop happens and when it does it usually raises a stink. I hope your friend has insurance and everything turns out well for all those involved.