#1 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hi guys,

This is the 1st cub that I've worked on. A young coworker of mine was talking today about his and how he saved it from the scrap yard. We got to talking more and come to find out he's got a lot going on in his life and this seems to be his therapy. 

So what ended up happening was he said he got it running, then while he was gone, a friend of his for whatever reason (16y/o) decided it was within his best interest to snip his wires because they didn't match his tractors wiring.

Needless to say now it doesn't run and poor Jon has no idea on what to do it get it going again.

Enter me, and it's now on my trailer and I want to get it running again to help him out. 

NAPA 4 terminal key switch new, the brake lever switch, and pto switch wires have been snipped, along with the black wire coming from the coil, the green coming from the voltage dial on the dash, an orange is snipped, and I think that's all of them, but here's the kicker....

The engine come to find out was replaces with a 14hp Kohler from another cub and with it, the wiring harness.

http://www.cleancomp...g Schematic.jpg

I have followed this wiring diagram to the T and had no luck with it so far. I am going to snap photos tomorrow. Just wanted to get a jump pointing  this tonight in case in the AM anyone posts with any tricks for me to try 1st thing. 

Thank you for your time.

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Nice friend he has there! It should be pretty straight forward with the print you have there. The Napa key switch are the posts marked in the back( Ign,St,Batt)?

You said you followed the diagram so far and no luck yet. What is happening? Is it turning over with no spark, or does it not turn over at all?

#3 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 08:56 PM

You say that the PTO wires have been cut.  A 108 did not have an electric PTO on it, they were still mechanical.  Does it indeed have an electric clutch on the front or is it a mechanical?  If its an electric clutch and the engines a K321 Kohler and it was lifted from another cub then I would get a wiring schematic from a 1450.  That would be about the only model that a 14HP could be lifted from pretty easy and made to fit in a 108.  Does it have a starter/generator on it or a flywheel ring gear type starter? 

#4 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Yes that switch is labeled, but still not getting a thing, not even turning over. The colors from the diagram to what's on the GT don't match up. Plus the colors going from the volt reg under the seat aren't matching the diagram. 

But what's eating me up is he said it ran, and he never touched anything under the seat.

He's a good kid, I'm glad to help him out. 

#5 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Has an S/G, clutch in the front is mech. There are some blue wires on it, some snipped with I think female connections on it. The PTO safety switch is I think black and black/white and the other switch has yellow/yellow/white on it.

I will look at that other wiring diagram.

Edited by Titus, April 06, 2013 - 09:03 PM.

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#6 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 09:27 PM

http://www.cubfaq.co...agrams/1450.jpg

I don't see any toggle switch on it, but I am going to snap plenty of photos of it tomorrow morning 1st thing. It's my only day off, but want him to have something to enjoy.

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#7 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 09:32 PM

http://www.cubfaq.co...agrams/1450.jpg

I don't see any toggle switch on it, but I am going to snap plenty of photos of it tomorrow morning 1st thing. It's my only day off, but want him to have something to enjoy.

That diagram is totally different then what you are working on. this one has a gear starter and a stator for charging. the regulator would be different too.

#8 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 09:38 PM

I figured that looking at it further, I was going by what IHcubguy said. Just wanted to rule that out.

I did notice a blue wire on a female connector plug by the S/G.

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 09:40 PM

That diagram is totally different then what you are working on. this one has a gear starter and a stator for charging. the regulator would be different too.

You beat me to the reply Chris.  LOL!!!   Chris is correct, I was just throwing the idea of a 1450 engine and diagram out there because you said in your original post it had a PTO switch and that the wiring harness had come with the engine.

Somepics of what you got will be quite helpful in diagnosing your problem.  Do you have power at the Bat terminal on the key switch?  If so I would run a jumper wire to the "A" terminal on the S/G  and see if it tries to crank.  If still nothing there is bigger problems than the wiring.  Are the battery terminals clean with good connections on the wires as well?

• Titus and chris m have said thanks

#10 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 09:45 PM

You beat me to the reply Chris.  LOL!!!   Chris is correct, I was just throwing the idea of a 1450 engine and diagram out there because you said in your original post it had a PTO switch and that the wiring harness had come with the engine.

Somepics of what you got will be quite helpful in diagnosing your problem.  Do you have power at the Bat terminal on the key switch?  If so I would run a jumper wire to the "A" terminal on the S/G  and see if it tries to crank.  If still nothing there is bigger problems than the wiring.  Are the battery terminals clean with good connections on the wires as well?

Sorry lol. :D :wave:

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Sorry lol. :D :wave:

No need to be sorry.  Just harassing a bit. :poke:

Edited by IHCubGuy, April 06, 2013 - 09:47 PM.

• chris m said thank you

#12 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Cold, but grabbed some photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1132.JPG
  • DSC_1133.JPG
  • DSC_1134.JPG
  • DSC_1137.JPG
  • DSC_1138.JPG
  • DSC_1140.JPG

• chris m said thank you

#13 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 10:12 PM

Yup someone was snip happy!!! And Yes it is COLD... out there right now!!

#14 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'll get better photos tomorrow when I can see where I'm walking and aiming at ;)

• chris m said thank you

#15 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 10:43 PM

If that green wire hanging down in the pics is the one that goes to the ammeter that you said is disconnected it needs to go between the ammeter "-" terminal and the BAT terminal on the switch.  Then there should be a wire from the "+" terminal on the ammeter to one side of the solenoid.  That same terminal on the solenoid should have a wire coming form the battery positive terminal.  This is how the key switch gets its power.  The two yellow wires coming up thru the frame are the wires for the clutch switch and should be together as you have them.  The wires that are at the starter generator are fine.  That is part of the factory harness and there is nothing cut there.  The two black wires and the blue I'm not sure as I cant make out where they go to in the pics.  The orange wire might be the solenoid engagement wire from the start side of the switch to the small terminal on the solenoid.  It should be an orange with a black tracer on it.

Edited by IHCubGuy, April 06, 2013 - 10:47 PM.