LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,675 Thanks
  • 7,689 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:23 PM

Has anyone used this stuff? The site where I found this said HF has something like it now.

http://www.daubertcr...m/evaporust.asp

• Craig. said thank you

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 12:27 PM

I bought a gallon and tried it. I wasn't real impressed. I think the E tank was better but still slow.

#3 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 06:45 AM

Never heard of it.

#4 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 11:36 PM

I have used it and it works as it claims, but it is slow.

I made the mistake of leaving it in a gas tank for a couple of months (since it seemed to be so slow, I guessed longer would be better) and it left a nasty jelly-like mess stuck all around the "waterline" as it evaporated away, which took forever to get rid of, so I guess it can't be left sitting for too long.

I have bought some more to use again in the same gas tank as I still have rust in there and electrolysis can't get behind the partitions in the MF10 and 12 gas tanks, but this time I will only leave it for a couple of days and will shake it around at regular intervals.

Has anyone used this stuff? The site where I found this said HF has something like it now.

http://www.daubertcr...m/evaporust.asp

#5 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 10:05 AM

I've had some for a few months (well actually last summer) an used it on some smaller stuff that I can't get a wheel on. Seems pretty good on small screws, nuts, lug bolts and such. Put them in a re-sealable penut butter jar with a couple glugs off the stuff, shake it off-n-on for a couple days, magnet to get 'em out, look really nice. Stuff in the jar is looking pretty ugly, but since it is still cleaning what I put in I haven't changed it yet. I thought it was expensive at first but may work out o.k. cause it really does work more than just once, atleast in how I'm using it. Got mine from Gemplers.

Good luck.

• sacsr and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 12:07 AM

Similar to this stuff?

http://www.gemplers....rter-One-Gallon

I guess these new formulations are the space age replacement for the ol' "Naval Jelly" of yesteryear.  It worked well, but after the rinse with water you better get the primer on your ferrous stuff real quick!

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 06:47 AM

Similar to this stuff?

http://www.gemplers....rter-One-Gallon

That's different, Harold. That is a coating you put over rust and its supposed to turn the rust into a hard coating and stop further rusting. When I click the link, the Evaporust shows up on the right side as other products you may like. It actually removes the rust from the metal.

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 08:21 AM

That's different, Harold. That is a coating you put over rust and its supposed to turn the rust into a hard coating and stop further rusting. When I click the link, the Evaporust shows up on the right side as other products you may like. It actually removes the rust from the metal.

I have used the rust convertor from Gemplers for several summers now on old farm eguipment, backing plates on brakes jobs, and such. I  and have been very pleased with it. It still needs painted over like Navel Jelly did. The Evaporust is a different animal and as noted in my other post the way I use it has been successful. Will it do what they claim? I don't know... I didn't buy enough to dip an engine head, I'm only using on small stuff that I can't hold safely against a wheel.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 09:53 AM

I have used the rust convertor from Gemplers for several summers now on old farm eguipment, backing plates on brakes jobs, and such. I  and have been very pleased with it. It still needs painted over like Navel Jelly did.

I've never actually used the rust converter but I did an experiment with it. Someone else was bragging on it and gave me some left overs. I sprayed it on a piece of rusty metal. It looked like I was spraying watered down milk but it turned into a hard black coating when it hit the rust. I let it sit a few days and cure. Then I took a screwdriver to it and scraped the coating. Between it and bare steel there was still orange rust. I was expecting the rust to be transformed down to the metal. It seemed to me like if it was stopping rust it was only by eliminating the air to it. Since you've tried it more long term than I did, does stuff seem to rust quicker if it gets scratched? Have you ever checked any you used to see how far the penetration into the rust was? Maybe this isn't even the product I'm thinking of but it was called rust converter with basically the same write up.

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 05:58 PM

on this automotive lift I have and am putting up in my garage it does not have cables but heavy, heavy chains  that aren't that rusty (some sections are a little)  but it is for the most part very stiff. I am looking for something that I can dump in my oil drain pan  (clean of course) and soak the chains in before I put em up.  Would this stuff be the "right" product?