- - - - -

Mf10 Diesel Is About To Get Another Modification

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 01:32 AM

I'll just come out with it. I'm thinking of putting some pressure into the air charge of the AC1 Lister Petter, a little more low end and slightly less smoke would be nice. Engine torque response would be greatly improved as well. Forced induction is not as critical of a modification on a diesel engine vs. its gasoline counterpart.

Little tiny turbos are tough to find and need an oil supply. So, I'm thinking of running a GM smog pump with a belt drive, or an old VW smog pump, and going for 5 psi boost initially. Some of the later 80's GM vehicles had a nice seperate air filter for the air pump intake air as well. Rather than the pumps which had an air filter mounted behind the pulley.

I would like to find a VW smog pump used on older VW/Porsche US models. They are essentially a very small roots supercharger with 2 lobe rotors. If some member could help me acquire one of  these it would be appreciated. Older foreign cars are not common in salvage yards in my area. 

It will be like a miniature Oliver GM diesel tractor with the blower visible on the right side of the engine.

Edited by MF10 DIESEL, April 06, 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 06:38 AM

So this would then be supercharged! I like it! Is there an issue with the air heating up on a setup like that?

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 07:10 AM

That will be a good looking machine.  Definitely picture time when it is put together!

Ben W.

• welderman85 said thank you

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,462 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:09 AM

I will be following along with this build, I have always wondered about super charging a small diesel and want to see how it works for you. Good Luck and I'll check around down here to see whats available in used pumps.

#5 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

• Member No: 25875
  • 1,634 Thanks
  • 1,622 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 06:23 AM

One of our neighbors had one of the Olivers when I was growing up.  We called it "the Hummer" but that was a great understatement.  It was incredibly loud and annoying but could pull moldboard plow through some amazingly tough conditions.  Good luck with your project and go Youtube on us so we can hear it also! :thumbs: