• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 09:36 PM

I am sure that every one of us who has an OA torch set up on a cart has scratched their head about what to do with the hose; many people just wrap it around the bottles, but that does not always work. I thought I would share one of many possible solutions.

Last weekend my uncle and cousin where at my house helping me change the clutch in my truck; we needed to heat the nuts that hold the Y-pipe of the exhaust to the headers to get them off. I am out of acetylene, so they went back to their house to get their set up and a few other things we needed.

When they got back I was shocked when I saw his torches! He had a mix matched set of regulators, and about 50 feet of hose! He said that he has had that stuff for as long as he can remember, other then the bottles of course. I took it out of his van and then he got out a big plastic case, what was in it? EVERYTHING you would need for an OA torch, with the exception of bottles. He said that he simply does not use them enough to go through the trouble of putting all the new stuff on.

He heated the nuts and took them off while I did something else, I don't remember what. When he was done I went to shut it all down, and the adjustment screw on the acetylene regulator would not move! I asked about it, and he told me it has been stuck for years! I could not believe that he leaves it that way, as he is one of the most safety oriented person I have ever met.

We did not get to finish putting the clutch in, so he said he would be back next weekend. Since he was coming back next week, he left the torch and some other stuff at my house. I told him when he came back, the torch would be overhauled. He said to not put the hose in the box on, he has another at his house he wants on it.

Enough back story, now for the real stuff.

The first thing I had to do was take off those junk regulators, and long hose. In the back of the picture you can see a garden hose real, he had that clamped to the cart as the hose real, but it did not work very well.

For the new real, I wanted to use those round clamps that can be taken apart in two halves with a bolt on each side, not sure what they are called. I could not find any, so I had to make my own clamps. I got a 1 1/4'' pipe nipple, and cut the threads of. Then I took the middle part and cut that in half.

Then I used my uncles acetylene and my oxygen (the hoses where already off his, I thought it would be better to only use one of his bottles not both) to make a hole in each piece. Then I welded a nut over the hole; a bolt goes into the nut and acts as a set screw.

Then I used some 1/2" round bar to make hooks on each.

Then each piece slips over the handle, tighten the bolts and they are on!

I did not want to open the hose that is in the box of components, I will wait for my uncle to bring the hose he wants on it to put everything else on. I did wrap my hose around it, and it seems to hold it very well! I think my uncle will be pleased with it.

• tinbender7, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,051 Thanks
  • 2,092 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Those regulators may be junk now, but Oxweld regulators were top-quality when new.  ....The acetylene regulator was often labled Purox.

Both Oxweld and Purox were manufactured by the Linde Corp.  ...The regulators were 2-stage regulators.

Due to liability issues, many places will not repair/rebuild regulators anymore, but they're happy to sell you new ones.

• Ryan313, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

• Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 09:15 AM

When I had my O-A welding set I had the plastic molded carrier which did not rattle from the movement of the bottles, also I had taken a piece of PVC (probably 1/2" or 3/4") and  cut it to the rod length I wanted to carry. I then took a PVC cap and glued on end shut and put a thread fitting on the other end with a screw on cap, all this to store my silver solder rods and etc. and the rods never rattled and never got lost, and I was able to slide the PVC tubing in the space you have the rods standing.

Your idea of brackets to hold the hoses is a nice fix.

Edited by JRJ, April 06, 2013 - 09:17 AM.

• Ryan313 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 08:37 PM

My uncle was at my house today, he was very happy with them! He forgot the hoses though; however, he is coming back tomorrow and he will bring them then.

I thought I would show you guys what I did with mine. I have the bottles chained to a hand truck, and the hose wraps around the handle nicely.

I used some pieces of scrap, bent two "L" shapes and clamped them to the handle to keep the hose from falling off; the top one also works very well to hold the striker.

I did this to mine a few months ago, and it has worked excellent so far.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 10:23 AM

Ryan, that was a pretty smart idea.  I'm sure your uncle will appreciate your efforts.  I need to get new regulators and hoses for mine.  I have the small tanks that I used to use when I did HVAC.