I am sure that every one of us who has an OA torch set up on a cart has scratched their head about what to do with the hose; many people just wrap it around the bottles, but that does not always work. I thought I would share one of many possible solutions.
Last weekend my uncle and cousin where at my house helping me change the clutch in my truck; we needed to heat the nuts that hold the Y-pipe of the exhaust to the headers to get them off. I am out of acetylene, so they went back to their house to get their set up and a few other things we needed.
When they got back I was shocked when I saw his torches! He had a mix matched set of regulators, and about 50 feet of hose! He said that he has had that stuff for as long as he can remember, other then the bottles of course. I took it out of his van and then he got out a big plastic case, what was in it? EVERYTHING you would need for an OA torch, with the exception of bottles. He said that he simply does not use them enough to go through the trouble of putting all the new stuff on.
He heated the nuts and took them off while I did something else, I don't remember what. When he was done I went to shut it all down, and the adjustment screw on the acetylene regulator would not move! I asked about it, and he told me it has been stuck for years! I could not believe that he leaves it that way, as he is one of the most safety oriented person I have ever met.
We did not get to finish putting the clutch in, so he said he would be back next weekend. Since he was coming back next week, he left the torch and some other stuff at my house. I told him when he came back, the torch would be overhauled. He said to not put the hose in the box on, he has another at his house he wants on it.
Enough back story, now for the real stuff.
The first thing I had to do was take off those junk regulators, and long hose. In the back of the picture you can see a garden hose real, he had that clamped to the cart as the hose real, but it did not work very well.
For the new real, I wanted to use those round clamps that can be taken apart in two halves with a bolt on each side, not sure what they are called. I could not find any, so I had to make my own clamps. I got a 1 1/4'' pipe nipple, and cut the threads of. Then I took the middle part and cut that in half.
Then I used my uncles acetylene and my oxygen (the hoses where already off his, I thought it would be better to only use one of his bottles not both) to make a hole in each piece. Then I welded a nut over the hole; a bolt goes into the nut and acts as a set screw.
Then I used some 1/2" round bar to make hooks on each.
Then each piece slips over the handle, tighten the bolts and they are on!
I did not want to open the hose that is in the box of components, I will wait for my uncle to bring the hose he wants on it to put everything else on. I did wrap my hose around it, and it seems to hold it very well! I think my uncle will be pleased with it.