wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 11:54 PM

Oil and gas is a big industry. Fracking is a part of the game. Qualified oil and gas companies are big on doing it right because they don't want to be in headlines for unlawful actions or accidents. Personally, I am in different on this topic and wish the best for all parties in this thread. I hope it doesn't get ugly. This will be my only post in this thread.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#18 Wade M OFFLINE  

Wade M
  • Member No: 21230
  • 65 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 05:48 AM

I do not know enough to argue either way but this was my experiance. About 5 year ago my wife and I went camping at the PA Grand Canyon. We came accross a small town of Wellsbrough. If any one has been there it was a beautiful little town with antibellum homes and gas lantern lit streets. We were back there last year camping at hammond lake and decided to take a ride into town for dinner. The truck traffic has destroyed and congested the streets and the town was covered in dust. SAD

• 8tyman8 said thank you

#19 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 07:20 AM

I do not know enough to argue either way but this was my experiance. About 5 year ago my wife and I went camping at the PA Grand Canyon. We came accross a small town of Wellsbrough. If any one has been there it was a beautiful little town with antibellum homes and gas lantern lit streets. We were back there last year camping at hammond lake and decided to take a ride into town for dinner. The truck traffic has destroyed and congested the streets and the town was covered in dust. SAD

Haven't been up that way in 7 - 8 years, but I used to go on raft trips through the PA Grand Canyon every spring. Spent many years visiting in and around the Wellsboro area. I actually lived in a town called Westfield for about a year.

It must be a sad site to see that town looking like that.
I always said I'd love to retire up in that area, but that may change if what your saying is true.

#20 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,634 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 07:31 AM

I don't think it is the EPA's fault

I remember not so long ago that certain parties wanted to do away with the EPA and other such entities.

My brother is a professor of economics and an authority on Petroleum Economics. When I asked him about fracking, he said that it takes an enormous amount of water and that region doesn't have an enormous amount of water.

I wonder what will become of all those people that migrated there for the good life when this all goes bust.

#21 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:07 AM

I remember not so long ago that certain parties wanted to do away with the EPA and other such entities.

My brother is a professor of economics and an authority on Petroleum Economics. When I asked him about fracking, he said that it takes an enormous amount of water and that region doesn't have an enormous amount of water.

I wonder what will become of all those people that migrated there for the good life when this all goes bust.

You Hit the nail on the head ! from what i have read some time in 2010 the Epa had a Massive budget cut (25%) and the water I Cant say this enough From birth i have lived on the Edge of lake Ontario and the water level is falling its not going to run out in my life time but when it does Its gone  And water is are most valuable Resource because you cant live with out Clean water 

#22 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 11:53 PM

Remember folks, this country is a "democracy", we have representatives to handle all of these frackin' complaints if we just ask. (Insert "unmitigated BS emoticon" here):D

• Team_Green and LilysDad have said thanks

#23 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 12:52 AM

They all go back home.. just like what happened in NorthDakota in the 80's and again to happen when this boom drops off there also..  It's a way of life being a rig rat or a frack rat..  It takes a certain kinda folk.. some end up with a full time long term job in the small town.. BUT most go home..  Really to rig rats it's no big deal to be relocated time and time again.. I have lived in more hotels and motels then most folks realize are out there. I loved meeting the many different folks  over the years..  Heck along the way i may have meet half of you fine folks.. 

#24 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,634 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 06:33 AM

I know, but, there are a whole lot of folks who came there for other jobs in town because they were out of work back in
South Illhisylvina. I wonder about all that new housing they just built, too.

I know, life will go on somewhere else. Change is normal. People need to be flexible.

People tend to leave behind messes, though!

#25 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 04:10 PM

We have cracking here in Oklahoma, but its not causing the same problems. We have had a series of small earthquakes, one group blames it on fracking and another one doesn't.

#26 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 07, 2013 - 05:07 PM

Remember folks, this country is a "democracy", we have representatives to handle all of these frackin' complaints if we just ask. (Insert "unmitigated BS emoticon" here) :D

We are NOT a "democracy". We are a republic, therefore we elect representatives to do our biding. All of you on this forum can see how well that is working out. So, if you are not happy, happy, happy, I suggest you stop saying "it is not my representative" and try voting for someone different. I'm done.

#27 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 10:58 PM

I know, but, there are a whole lot of folks who came there for other jobs in town because they were out of work back in
South Illhisylvina. I wonder about all that new housing they just built, too.

I know, life will go on somewhere else. Change is normal. People need to be flexible.

People tend to leave behind messes, though!

Williston North Dakota had whole apartment blocks boarded up for years.. I used to live there,, and this time when things close down they will board em up again. Those extras for the most part that moved there and are taking up the extra jobs not just the oilfield jobs are often the wifes or kids of the oilfield guys that moved their whole family there. I know my sister worked, i worked and my mom babysat kids of other families.. 

• LilysDad said thank you