26 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Most of you guys in Pa will know what i am talking about But most Canadians (i am Canadian) have No idea what i am talking about Meanwhile its going on in are Own backyard Watch some of these videos About Fracking and the Dangers

Fracking in Canada 16x9 (global documentary)

fracking Hell

Gas land

Whats goes in  the ground (also gets into the ground water) 596+chemicals 

http://marcellusdril...n-pennsylvania/

http://fracfocus.org...micals-are-used

We can live without fuel or gas but we will not last very long with with out Water are most valuable resource

I am not trying to Change the World but i just wanted to get this around as it gets pushed under the rug.....

Edited by 8tyman8, April 05, 2013 - 10:41 PM.

• LilysDad, Dieselcubmike and larryd have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:33 PM

This happens all too much. Theres well sites all over the place down here in southwestern pa. I know before this we had to worry about mine run off (the orange water that looks like rust) then now we have this stuff. I can count about 15-25 water trucks daily that go through my town gathering water from the river and delivering to the sites. Its sad that the companies don't care about the environment or the people who live close to the sites. I know im out in the country side and there's a lonely road that winds its way out to another road that connects to the closes town. Its lined with old coke ovens that were made around the turn of the century. There mustve been thousands of bricks used to build these things big enough to fit a family of 5 inside (the dome styled ones) and I seen a caterpillar crush through them like it was nothing just to clear out land. This is about a mile away from me and during the night I could see the flood lights they had and the fracking tower light up the whole area. then things got real bright when they light that huge fireball! work was 24/7 for the longest time. They've destroyed roads around here with the overloaded trucks and equipment so badly that the township cant fix it without the help from the state and since its not a highly traveled road the state abandoned it. And sadly it keeps getting worse for everyone that this happens to and my heart goes out to the families whos been affected by this.

• 8tyman8, LilysDad and larryd have said thanks

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:37 PM

This happens all too much. Theres well sites all over the place down here in southwestern pa. I know before this we had to worry about mine run off (the orange water that looks like rust) then now we have this stuff. I can count about 15-25 water trucks daily that go through my town gathering water from the river and delivering to the sites. Its sad that the companies don't care about the environment or the people who live close to the sites. I know im out in the country side and there's a lonely road that winds its way out to another road that connects to the closes town. Its lined with old coke ovens that were made around the turn of the century. There mustve been thousands of bricks used to build these things big enough to fit a family of 5 inside (the dome styled ones) and I seen a caterpillar crush through them like it was nothing just to clear out land. This is about a mile away from me and during the night I could see the flood lights they had and the fracking tower light up the whole area. then things got real bright when they light that huge fireball! work was 24/7 for the longest time. They've destroyed roads around here with the overloaded trucks and equipment so badly that the township cant fix it without the help from the state and since its not a highly traveled road the state abandoned it. And sadly it keeps getting worse for everyone that this happens to and my heart goes out to the families whos been affected by this.

The worst part is they are Exempt  from the laws

• Dieselcubmike and larryd have said thanks

#4 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:40 PM

this is a very touchy topic in my areaand i dont know much about it but i know there are wells all over the plcae around here

• WNYTractorTinkerer and larryd have said thanks

#5 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I might take heat for this but here goes.... I've been a oilfield boy all my life. left my parents home when i was 17.. I'm in my 40's now. I have followed drilling rigs all over North America, USA and Canada.  It's been a great job..  The oilfield boys all walks of life of it would take heat from people.. lots of times they are bitching at ya while they are in their car or truck while it runs. From bitching about bad practises to bitching about how expensive fuel is.   Everyone want's the least expensive but the best quality. You can't have Cheap price and great quality.  This goes in the same hand. 

• 8tyman8, backwoods, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:47 PM

As with any drilling, digging, mining, there are right ways and wrong ways to do it. The reputable companies seem to not be the issue... It is when fly-by-nite organizations get involved because "anyone can do it..."

I will warn everyone that this thread has already taken a decidedly one sided tact on the issue and I would say this could become a flame war pretty easily. Lets keep the opinions to a minimum, assume that "facts" on youtube are suspect, and just shoot for education on the topic.
  • 8tyman8, twostep, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:50 PM

I might take heat for this but here goes.... I've been a oilfield boy all my life. left my parents home when i was 17.. I'm in my 40's now. I have followed drilling rigs all over North America, USA and Canada.  It's been a great job..  The oilfield boys all walks of life of it would take heat from people.. lots of times they are bitching at ya while they are in their car or truck while it runs. From bitching about bad practises to bitching about how expensive fuel is.   Everyone want's the least expensive but the best quality. You can't have Cheap price and great quality.  This goes in the same hand.

But i do under stand that oil drilling has been done for Years but this new "Fracking" is a new way thats Very dangerous to get Fuel ....  EDIT

And don't get me wrong I will be out in the oil fields before i am 20 is some fab shop or welding Pipe

Edited by 8tyman8, April 05, 2013 - 08:53 PM.

• LilysDad, WNYTractorTinkerer and larryd have said thanks

#8 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:51 PM

The worst part is they are Exempt  from the laws

Who is they? and what laws are they exempt from?  I can say knowing first hand the drilling rig guys have a huge list of laws to follow.  

• LTD, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:55 PM

But i do under stand that oil drilling has been done for Years but this new "Fracking" is a new way thats Very dangerous to get Fuel .... 

yes it is dangerous way.. 

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 09:02 PM

I want lots of cheap fuel. But on the other hand I am concerned about the possible pollution. The fact that (to my knowledge) they don't have to disclose what all is mixed together for the fracking is a bit scary. The economic boom in the small towns around the Marcelles shale is incredible. 

• larryd said thank you

#11 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 09:44 PM

Beep, bleep bleep bleep bleep, Thats all I have to say about that. Either tow your toys with a Prius,or Its Dino fuel. Diesel, propane,Compressed Natural Gas, Gasoline the list goes on and on. Even electric vehicles usually relies dino fuel at some point.  

• twostep and larryd have said thanks

#12 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Who is they? and what laws are they exempt from?  I can say knowing first hand the drilling rig guys have a huge list of laws to follow.  

There was a Bill passed in 2005 called the "The federal Energy Policy Act of 2005" Exempting Gas company's from then Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act and a hand full of other things

http://en.wikipedia....Clean_Water_Act

http://en.wikipedia....(United_States)

• larryd said thank you

#13 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Beep, bleep bleep bleep bleep, Thats all I have to say about that. Either tow your toys with a Prius,or Its Dino fuel. Diesel, propane,Compressed Natural Gas, Gasoline the list goes on and on. Even electric vehicles usually relies dino fuel at some point.  

but this is mostly Natural gas ... i am all in-favor of Dino fuel but when your dumping Diesel fuel into the ground to Crack the shale to get natural gas out that not very good Im not no Hippie but i don't think its right Once all the water is poulited with benzine Methanol Ethylene Glycol Hydrochloric Acid and 590+ other things

• LilysDad and larryd have said thanks

#14 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 10:25 PM

There was a Bill passed in 2005 called the "The federal Energy Policy Act of 2005" Exempting Gas company's from then Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act and a hand full of other things

http://en.wikipedia....Clean_Water_Act

http://en.wikipedia....(United_States)

Sounds like it's time to crawl up the EPA's back side and make em change.. These countries are being run by big corparations and a few in office.. Time to take em back.. Signing a petition doesn't work it's not enough..  Showing up and standing up for what you believe does.. not once not twice but time and time again..  Freedom isin't free and i'm not talking war over seas.. i'm talking standing up for what you believe. 

Please don't take this as a personal attack.. We ALL need to do this.. 

Edited by Team_Green, April 05, 2013 - 10:26 PM.

• twostep, LilysDad, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#15 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 10:40 PM

Sounds like it's time to crawl up the EPA's back side and make em change.. These countries are being run by big corparations and a few in office.. Time to take em back.. Signing a petition doesn't work it's not enough.. Showing up and standing up for what you believe does.. not once not twice but time and time again.. Freedom isin't free and i'm not talking war over seas.. i'm talking standing up for what you believe.

Please don't take this as a personal attack.. We ALL need to do this..

I don't think it is the EPA's fault The bill was pushed thu so its directly related to the American government they are the only people that hold the key to Change the ways or shut it down I understand You have to compromise The environment for Resources No way around it But you can't go and be Careless about it ... for the reason that its going to come bite you (or your next generation) in the Butt later Down the road if they don't clean up there act

Edited by MH81, April 05, 2013 - 10:50 PM.

• Team_Green, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks