• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted October 12, 2010 - 07:32 AM

Just got a brand new Ariens mower deck for my Gravely 18-H tractor. The gearbox sounds like a jet engine at full throttle. Gear backlash and shaft endplay (input and output) check out fine. The red factory grease (I assume Stens) is very stiff. It slings off the gears and sticks to the top of the box. Doesn't look like the gears are getting much lube.

I used regular MP grease for 18 years on my old deck and the gearbox was always quiet. What lube do you guys use in your Ariens deck gearboxes? Anybody using a Grade 0 or Grade 1 pourable grease?

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 12, 2010 - 04:37 PM

I am not familiar with that gearbox,but I would think that grease is not the thing to put in a gearbox.I personally like Lucus in my gearboxes,but you could use regular gear oil in it I would think.

#3 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted October 12, 2010 - 06:22 PM

I would use 00 grease myself... it should be available at your Ariens dealer, and probably any tractor dealership. A bit pricey but works well from my experience. I'd clean the OE grease out well before adding anything different, some types of grease are not compatible with others.