9 replies to this topic

#1 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hi,
I just picked up an open sided 165 with a fel that is complete and should be operable with some work. I have also picked up a closed sided 165 "roller"-no motor. I picked up the closed sided one for potential spares.
So my questions are:
1. My original thought is to keep the fel on the open sided tracotr and fix it up to use, no plans to restore.
2. Will many/any of the parts from the closed sided tracotr work on the open sided one?
3. Is there any reason why I should consider putting all the parts; engine, fel on the closed sided one.
I will post pics.
Chuck

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 03:46 AM

About the only parts that swap over easily are the transmissions and steering box. Frames are different, front axles are different , steering geometry is also different. Tires and wheels are the same , as is the seat box and headlamps and trial lamps. fender pans, tin work, pedal linkages and even hydraulic components are different. The hydraulic cylinder will inter change even with differences. The hydraulic valves can be swapped ,but  require some hole drilling and fancy fitting work . 

If all thats missing on the closed side 165 is the engine, replace it with just about anything , as I put a twin briggs 18hp in mine , and then swapped that out for a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel. :thumbs:  :rocker2:  :D

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:00 AM

Got some pics of the loader tractor? I'd be finding a good donor engine for the closed side like Keith says.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:07 AM

Just fix up the open sided and use it. As said above, put an engine in the closed sided. I personally favor the open sided because they are the same style as two of my full sized tractors. We need to see pictures. Good Luck, Rick

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 11:14 AM

I can't help from the standpoint of knowing what fits or which unit is better. But will say from a purely cosmetic side. The open side apeals to my eye more.

#6 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• Member No: 5225
  • 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 03:51 PM

I would find a donor engine for the closed side and fix up the open side. I have 2 closed sides and one open. I was going to use the open side as a parts tractor but when I got it home I saw that it would run off some starting fluid. I thought it was too cool looking to tear it apart so I too am fixing it. My wife can't figure out why I need three and not so sure myself but I would never tell her that! (haha) I think it would be easier to find a Kohler k-series to put back in but some of the guys on here have used others. I think the motor on the open side was welded in. My newer ('83) closed side has a plate it was attached to. I know it rides smoother with less vibration but the open side is cool looking. Both models seem real rugged and built well. The Kohlers were slightly different, fuel tanks, mufflers, etc. My closed side has a spin on tranny filter while the open side has a in-line filter. Not sure about the rest of tranny as I have never got in to one. Some of the parts were carry overs but I just don't think enough were interchangable to part out one or the other.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#7 dberrelez OFFLINE  

dberrelez
  • Member No: 33063
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 10:57 PM

I have a Ford LGT 165 K341 engine that goes through coils ever 2 hours of use. I have replaced voltage regulator, points, spark plug, coil wire and coil. When I put the new coil in it runs for about 2 hours and then it quits working. Does anyone have any idea on why this is happening? My next step is to check the wiring. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I appreciate any help given.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 05:00 AM

I have a Ford LGT 165 K341 engine that goes through coils ever 2 hours of use. I have replaced voltage regulator, points, spark plug, coil wire and coil. When I put the new coil in it runs for about 2 hours and then it quits working. Does anyone have any idea on why this is happening? My next step is to check the wiring. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I appreciate any help given.

Welcome to the forum! Here's the wiring diagram. I don't understand the coil issue.

FordWiringDiagram.jpg

• dberrelez said thank you

#9 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 06:58 AM

Are you using an internal or external ballasted coil?  It makes a big difference.  Kohlers need an internally ballasted coil.  The replacement should be clearly marked which type it is.  If you run a coil intended for an external ballast resistor without a resistor, it will fail due to high current flow.  It will also damage the points.

• IamSherwood and dberrelez have said thanks

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Are you using an internal or external ballasted coil?  It makes a big difference.  Kohlers need an internally ballasted coil.  The replacement should be clearly marked which type it is.  If you run a coil intended for an external ballast resistor without a resistor, it will fail due to high current flow.  It will also damage the points.

Agreed. I found that out the hard way too, a while ago.

• dberrelez said thank you