13 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 08:44 PM

I know in several posts I've said I found Frost in the Garden Friday. But tonight I could not resist trying out that new middle Buster Plow.

Higher on the hill it's not at all bad!!

Here is the main

garden patch, I'll run across it diagonally to take out any ridges and then it will be ready to till. They are Predicting rain for 5 days next week starting Saturday.

If I don't get some planting done this weekend it's a start anyway.

Plowing_zpsa905858e.jpg

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Looks like a good start.  Whats your usual planting time, are you behind this year too?

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 08:48 PM

How big is that plot? It looks to be a good size; is that another next to it?

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Here is the Tater Patch, I'm going to try to get them in Sunday afternoon while the wife is at a bridal shower.

Plowing2_zps3cc0db51.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Normal year it is risky to plant before April 15th and II won't set plants until the first or second week of May,

I would not really say I'm behind in a normal year. It's just that it seems that way after last year, when we had 4 days of 80 degree temps in March.

I'm in Zone 5 down here.

Ryan that plot is 50 X 170, The one in the next picture(The Tater & Onion Patch) is about the same size, but there is a 50 X 50 strawberry patch out of it not in the picture

There is a smaller patch to the left that is about 40 X50 that is a Salad and Herb Garden. 

Then to the left of that is a Briar Patch with Black Rasberry's and Black Berries. We also have Blueberries and Manchurian Apricot left of the briars.

I also have a patch with the Winter Garlic, Asparagus and Horseradish not pictured. I'll post pictures of that and the Mini orchard another time.

It's a lot and pretty spread out, but if I don't plant something on it I have to mow it.  That may give you a clue as to why I had thought all along I needed a compact tractor.

What we don't put up for our use is shared with family and friends.

I'm one of 7 Children and my parents are still living. Two brothers live out of state and the rest of us are here in the same town so I have no problem finding someone to use the extra.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 04, 2013 - 09:14 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, Michiganmobileman and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:16 PM

I would say I get as much enjoyment from giving away some of our harvest as I do from eating it. Although neither Kathy or I like tomatoes, we usually have at least four plants because everyone else does enjoy them.

#7 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:22 PM

I re-covered my greenhouse today, hope to start some tomato & marigold seeds in the next few days!

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM0528 - Copy.JPG

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:28 PM

Jo and I do too!! Last summer was kind of a disappointment. We Added 1000 sq. ft to the garden and with the drought only got about the same production  as the year before.

Not as much to share??  I understand some don't care for tomatoes. We do and Jo had over 100 plants last year. I'm sure there is something you really like that I don't care so much for. It's all a matter of taste.

I would say I get as much enjoyment from giving away some of our harvest as I do from eating it. Although neither Kathy or I like tomatoes, we usually have at least four plants because everyone else does enjoy them.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 04, 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:32 PM

That looks good. There is definitely one of those on the short list at my house. Jo has been reading up on those Geodesic Dome Greenhouses and she really wants to go that direction.

I re-covered my greenhouse today, hope to start some tomato & marigold seeds in the next few days!

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:56 AM

Wow ! You and your wife have a lot of things to take care of :worshippy1:    It's great you both share the same hobby ,  have you thought of a hoop house ?  Or which I think is even better is a movable hoop house , one thats mounted on skids ( 4x4 )  with ends that open up so you can move it off the plants once it gets warm enough . Example , you start lettuce and spinich in it and when the weather starts to warm open the ends and slide it to the next spot for warm weather crops like tomatoes and peppers . That's what I'm going to try but my garden isn't nearly are big I'm thinking of a 12' long maybe 6' wide movable hoop house , my garden is only about 36' long

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 06:08 AM

Looks like it did a fine job. It's good to see some freshly turned earth instead of snow!

#12 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 06:11 AM

Mine is a fairly simple design, I found the plans somewhere years ago.  It uses a treated 4x6" base, 2-4x4" posts for the door frame & 1-4x4" post on the other end with a 2x8" ridge pole.  The 3/4" PVC hoops go through the ridge pole & over 1/2" rebar through  the base timbers.  The front wall (north) is 3/8" plywood siding w/silverized foam insulation board on the inside.  End hoops are layered plywood.  Greenhouse film from:  http://www.farmtek.c...54_108655.html, is double-layered & inflated with a small double squirrel-cage fan, the air for the fan comes from outside air via the pipe over the door.

HPIM0526 - Copy.JPG

HPIM0527 - Copy.JPG

HPIM1999 - Copy.JPG

Benches are treated 2x4" frame with 1/2" EMT conduit shelving recessed into the frames.

HPIM2076.JPG

Water comes from a series of rain tank & barrels behind the tool shed piped to a pump in the greenhouse.

HPIM2506 (Custom).JPG

Lowell

• Alc, KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 07:31 AM

Lowel I think I've seen you post pictures of your greenhouse before  and everytime I see it wish I had one as nice as yours :worshippy1:  ,

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Yes Al we have a lot to take care of. But after spending 8 hrs on the phone every day talking to people and trying to solve their problems and 1 1/2 hrs on the road to and from.

There is nothing I find more relaxing than a few hours in the garden often by myself just playing in the dirt..

While I have a lot of space and am doing things in a big way, that is not to say one has to.  I have seen people get probably as good  production  and possibly better in a much smaller area. Watching your garden the last couple years has been a Big inspiration to me.

I have considered The Hoop houses, the low hoops like you do, and to be truthful I have so many ideas rambling around in my head I am just plain confused.

Kenny: My goal was to break the pan(about 6" down) formed by the roto-tiller the last two years(that was the Troy Built walking machine). The Middle Buster has actually surprized me. I had read on the net of people having trouble getting them to dig. And I was expecting to find it too wet to use at all last night.

So I put it on the tractor, Never adjusted the top link from the setting I had used with the rear blade eyeballed it as pretty good and went to the garden. It dropped in 4" above the Sweep and at 2000 RPM never even bumped the gouvenor. So I'm impressed! And Yeah there is nothing quite as pretty as fresh tilled soil.

Lowell: I really like the way your green house is set up!  Rain Barrels are a big thing on my priority list afte last years drought. I also look forward to seeing your garden every year. Wish I had a source close by for the sawdust you use. I mulch my garden with grass clippings and turn them in every fall but would like to be adding tons more every year..

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 05, 2013 - 08:36 AM.

• KennyP and twostep have said thanks