• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nagrof OFFLINE  

nagrof
  • Member No: 31285
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 07:24 PM

I picked a 1972 Ford Lgt125 a year or so ago. I rebuilt the motor have it running well. Then I pulled the 42" deck off thinking I needed to fix a few bends replace belts and maybe couple of bearings. I pulled the cover off thats when I figured out how bad the deck was. pretty bad. I bought a deck off ebay that looked the same except for a couple of rear brackets,but needed much less work. It is off a

Jacobsen Homelite Textron UT 34004. I realized the spindles were different,I didn't realize the spindles were so hard to come by.

Has anyone found a spindle that will easily adapt to the ut34004 Jacobsen deck.

Or has anyone adapted a newer mower deck to Ford Lgt 125.Jacobsen Homelite Textron UT 34004 deck.jpg Jacobsen Homelite Textron UT 34004 1.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,744 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Sometimes its easier to rebuild the old spindles.

• nagrof said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Rebuild them. Are they made of steel or aluminum? Either way they are totally rebuild able. Might be challenging to get apart the first time, but are easier after you keep the greased up. And neversieze the pulleys.
  • nagrof said thank you

#4 nagrof OFFLINE  

nagrof
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 08:26 PM

I forgot to mention the ford spindles are different from Jacobsen ones,plus 60% of the bolts broke off in them.  I was looking for easy way out,preferably later model spindles,or the correct ones. The hole is smaller on Jacobsen Deck,plus the Lgt spindles are oval. I know I could cut the deck out to make these fit,but would prefer newer/replaceable ones or the correct ones.Thanks for the responses. More pictures so you can see the difference.

I did not get any spindles with the Jacobsen deck,just the deck.

Attached Thumbnails

• forddecks.jpg
  • jacobsen deck.jpg
  • lgt deck.jpg

Edited by nagrof, April 04, 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,744 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 10:20 PM

When dealing with rusted bolts soak them with penetrating oil for several days. To take the old spindles apart you may need to use heat. If you dont have a torch set this may help you justify getting one if you want it. I usually clean the shaft with a file. Once it is all apart the bearings are usually available from a bearing shop or NAPA. Good Luck, Rick

• nagrof said thank you

#6 relic7680 OFFLINE  

relic7680

• Member No: 7630
  • 29 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 10:27 PM

These two types of spindle do not interchange. I went through this whole deal myself and became more familiar with the variations from '72-'82. The earlier spindles are much easier to come across used, and I believe that parts for them are still supported through New Holland. I had to source some later stamped flange spindles for my project, and they are getting scarce, but check with Messick's for internals. The bearings can be sourced generic for either. Make sure you have the right parts diagram for reference (may be one availble on this site). Good luck.

• nagrof said thank you

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 03:34 AM

Are the 2 decks the same size ?? one looks like it is a 42" and the other 50"?? These are different .

There are I think 4 different spindle variations, some being very suttle and others extreme .

1: offset aluminium spindle with 20 mm shaft

2: offset aluminium spindle with 1" shaft( not as common, mostlikely for 50" decks)

3: offset rectangular steel spindle with 20 mm shaft (most common that I have found)

4: generic retangular steel spindle with 20mm shaft (you drill the holes to mount it)

Edited by skyrydr2, April 05, 2013 - 03:34 AM.

• nagrof said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 05:12 AM

I'm with Keith on this, those decks look to be different size. Could just be the pic, though. I have only dealt with the one deck I have.

• nagrof said thank you

#9 nagrof OFFLINE  

nagrof
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 07:43 AM

The decks are the same,its the angle I took the picture.the discharge side of the front deck in the picture(lgt deck) is bent way out. Thanks for all the input