• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 gergs84 OFFLINE  

gergs84
  • Member No: 32257
  • 5 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 07:50 PM

I finally figured things out with help from everyone on the site.  It was vapor locking.  I installed a fuel pump and new fuel lines.  Fuel lines are now significantly away from the block, and the problem was solved.

I just read something elsewhere. A fellow was having a similar problem. He use a piece of conveyor belting to make a spacer for the carb to engine mount and his issue went away. Just a thought!

• KennyP and chris m have said thanks

#17 gergs84 OFFLINE  

gergs84
  • 5 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 07:52 PM

I really appreciate you mentioning the fuel pump.  I removed the plate cover where the fuel pump goes and installed a fuel pump.  Installed new fuels lines as well.  FINALLY have the problem solved.

Do you have any pictures of your engine?

On the fuel pump, did someone put a cover on were one would go? Also did you get the tractor the way it is now. Is this a problem that just started to happen to you?

• chris m said thank you

#18 gergs84 OFFLINE  

gergs84
  • 5 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 07:54 PM

I appreciate your feedback.  I believe it was vapor locking.  I installed a fuel pump and new fuel lines.  Fuel lines around now about 2-3 inches away from the block, and the problem was solved.

For vapor locking all you really need to do is make sure the fuel line isn't resting on the block or not running close to the exhaust. Also be sure that all the cooling fins on the block are not plugged up with anything grass dirt etc..

• chris m said thank you

#19 gergs84 OFFLINE  

gergs84
  • 5 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Finally got it figured out.  Installed a fuel pump and new fuel lines, and the problem is FINALLY solved.  I think it was probably a vapor locking issue.

A lot of good suggestions are coming in. Like Art suggested about the points plunger I have seen them even get mushroomed on the end that rides on the cam, did you remove or replace the plunger when you did the points?

Another thing is how is the wiring and connections on the points, coil and ignition switch? A bad connection leads to high resistance and can cause a poor connection when it gets hot.

You said you are not running a fuel pump on this one, did it have a fuel pump before?

And how about the carb? are the mixture screws adjusted properly?

Also I noticed that you said you "checked the points gap" Did you replace or clean them???

#20 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Glad you got it fixed! It could have been vapor lock, but I think being it should of had a fuel pump on it, that it was starving for fuel.

Good luck and I hope it treats you well for here on out :thumbs:

#21 gergs84 OFFLINE  

gergs84
  • 5 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 08:14 PM

I finally got things figured out.  I removed the plate cover where a fuel pump can go and installed a fuel pump.  Installed new fuels lines, and BEHOLD, the problem was solved.  I think it was probably vapor locking.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford, jacobsen, homelite