22 replies to this topic

#1 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 05:00 AM

Hi guys,

I just acquired my first Simplicity riding mower. I don’t know much about the Simplicity line as I collect Panzer’s. I’m up to about 20 of them now. Anyway, the Simplicity is a model 2012. I have no idea about what year or what's be worth. Any help on that would be appreciated. It came with a front blade, mower deck, rear lift of some sort, wheel weights and tire chains. The steering wheel looks as though it has been replaced with a high performance model! Lol. The engine turned over by hand and seemed to have compression.

Here are some photos of the Simplicity patiently awaiting my arrival to save it from the weeds and weather.

Simplicity (2).jpg Simplicity (3).jpg Simplicity (4).jpg

Simplicity (1).jpg

It has some type of rear lift assembly. Once I get it running, I may need a shout out on how it operates.

I traded a kid a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger even up for a Case 580 CK tractor with a front end loader.

Here are pictures of the Dart.

Dart pic.jpg 101_3829.JPG 101_3830.JPG

101_3831.JPG 101_3832.JPG

Here are pictures of the Case.

IMG_20130304_175100.jpg IMG_20130304_175128.jpg

IMG_20130304_175116.jpg

Notice the "Like new" bucket.

IMG_20130304_175143.jpg IMG_20130304_175154.jpg

55 gallon barrel full of concrete for counter balance.

He drove the Dart home and I followed with my truck and trailer to get the tractor. I pulled in his yard and I saw the Simplicity sitting in the weeds. It had obviously been sitting there a while. I loaded the Case on the trailer and then I just had to ask, “How much for the Simplicity?” He thought for a minute and said, “75.00.” I countered with 50 and he nodded in agreement. We pushed it up out of the weeds and loaded it onto my trailer. He dug the mower deck and deck shields out and I was headed home. When I got home I aired up the tires so it was easier to move around.  I will add better pictures of the Simplicity when I get time. I had to take advantage of the break in the weather. I had to cut up and split some firewood for my outdoor wood burning furnace. I thought Spring was here! I pushed the Simplicity under one of my semi-trailer storage units and moved onto the wood splitting process. I also cleaned up the shed and yard a little bit. If I clean it up too much I find I have more room, which gets filled up by another GT! Then it’s back to square one.

Well, if anyone has tips, suggestions, recommendation or comments, feel free to throw 'em out there. This is a forum you know!

Have a great day guys! I know I did.

Edited by Clint, April 04, 2013 - 05:19 AM.

• Gtractor, hamman, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 05:08 AM

Looks like a little 'wheelin n dealin' going on there!

• Clint said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 05:36 AM

That Simplicity looks pretty good for sitting outside :thumbs:  good find

• Clint said thank you

#4 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 05:53 AM

Nice grab on the 2012! From what I can see, it looks to be all original except for the muffler. The ID number of the tractor should be 990399 and should be found on the black decal, on the seat deck, behind the seat. I believe production for the 2012 began in late 1966, but most were made in 1967. Check the engine code number for approximate dating of the tractor, if that's the engine that came in it originally.

Here's a combined Operator's and Parts Manual that has the #990399 (2012) in it:

http://gardentractor...andlord-series/

• Clint said thank you

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 06:08 AM

:thumbs: Congrats on the additions, sounds like you got a sweet deal. $50 and a trade in, :ok:   Don't know diddley bout smplicity but I think the shape of the steering wheel looks right.? Guys who know more'll probably set you on track. Loookin forward to the updates!

• Clint said thank you

#6 Tomwendt OFFLINE  

Tomwendt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 27676
  • 117 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 06:08 AM

The wheel weights are worth twice what you payed for it!
  • Clint said thank you

#7 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 06:34 AM

for sitting in the weeds the simp looks great and that is the correct steering wheel for it cant wait to see more picture of it

• Clint said thank you

#8 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Looking forward to watching the resto.

#9 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 06:43 AM

From all of the posts, the steering wheel is correct. It just looks like something this kid threw on there. I will have to take a closer look to appreciate it I guess. I literally only spent time dragging it on the trailer, airing up the tires and rolling it off the trailer. When I get into the thick of it, how do I operate the rear lift assembly? Thanks everyone for the help and "Steering" me in the right direction. Lol.

#10 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 06:43 AM

I used to have a similar Dart. Slant six, had to start it with a screwdriver, fortunately the starter was right on top of the motor.

• Clint said thank you

#11 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 06:46 AM

Looking forward to watching the resto.

Sorry to say, but there are no plans for a restoration at this time. I'll get it running and use it as is.

• SamMC said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 06:53 AM

From all of the posts, the steering wheel is correct. It just looks like something this kid threw on there. I will have to take a closer look to appreciate it I guess. I literally only spent time dragging it on the trailer, airing up the tires and rolling it off the trailer. When I get into the thick of it, how do I operate the rear lift assembly? Thanks everyone for the help and "Steering" me in the right direction. Lol.

Clint, check out this manual. Says it is also for a 2012. Good luck with it!

• Clint said thank you

#13 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 06:58 AM

I used to have a similar Dart. Slant six, had to start it with a screwdriver, fortunately the starter was right on top of the motor.

This Dart also had a slant six. The guy before me had it bored .040 over, dome pistons, slight cam, Clifford performance headers and intake and 750 Edelbrock carb. It ran ok, but the body was junk!!!!! I had it on CL for nearly a year. I was ready to part it out and scrap the body.

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 06:58 AM

That is a great tractor. I have 6 from that type. The rear hitch works off of the left side lift lever. When using the plow there was a counterweight that went on the hitch to make lifting the plow easier. Check out www.simpletractors.com for history and the sales brochures. You need to check the gas tank as soon as you can. The caps often let water in and rot the tanks and corrode the carbs.

Once you get this running right and use it you will love it. Good Luck, Rick

• Clint said thank you

#15 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 07:00 AM

I think you did well!  Can't beat an old Simplicity.

That Case ought to be good for moving tractors around.  I've used an engine hoist on a Farmall for picking up tractors, a loader would be a better investment.

Ben W.

• Clint said thank you