25 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 23, 2010 - 09:32 AM

George
are you going to buy the one in pittsburgh or what. It's not going to be there for ever James

#17 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 23, 2010 - 11:23 AM

I have no room to put one like that, and my neighbors would probably kill me LOL. Gonna have to pass on that one.

#18 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 04:18 PM

My compressor is same as Todd's... twin piston 60gal with about 11.5cfm @90psi. I can't sandblast very long at a time without the air dropping pretty low, but it does decent. Now the farm compressor is only 100' away from my personal shop with my blast cabinet. I am thinking of getting 100' of air hose & lin king the 2 compressors when I'm doing a lot of cabinet blasting. The farm compressor is a 2 stage set at 150psi, so I would use an inline regulator to set the psi down to match my compressor, then I figure I could blast all day long with plenty of air. I need to get this done soon.

After finishing hauling manure this afternoon, & before I start milking, I connected my air hoses from my compressor to the farm shop's compressor with an inline regulator to balance the 2 systems. Man....I can sandblast till my arms go numb!!!:laughingteeth::laughingteeth::laughingteeth:
I was going to hire the Bush Hog D4-10 blasted, but gonna do myself now. The only part that won't fit in my cabinet is the main frame, and I have a pot blaster that I can blast it with outside using plain sand. It'll be at least a few hour's worth of cabinet blasting, so it will still be some time before ready to paint anything.
Talk with you guys later.....the cows are a waiting!

#19 NUTNDUN ONLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 07:41 AM

Sounds like it is going to work like a champ Daniel. I would love to get a two stage but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. I will just have to take my time and take breaks every five minutes LOL

#20 lowrider OFFLINE  

lowrider

• Member No: 5529
  • 1 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 12:54 AM

Want a super quiet and powerful air compressor? Get a used semi truck air compressor and power it with an electrical motor with appropriate pressure cutoff switch. The mechanic who works downstairs in my shop building has one, and I really cannot tell when it is running. A wonderful system!

Lowrider

#21 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 08:14 AM

Well i'd have to see some pictures of that setup. I work on big trucks for a living and using onne of those pumps would be a lot of extra work. That compressor is water cooled and gets its lube oil directly from the engine. Using it hard without having those parts hooked, it wouldnt last long term. A better thing would be to get a York AC pump. They are air cooled and have a crank case of oil just like a small gas engine.

The reason most people struggle with blasting is they buy home owner sized comp's with small motors and tanks. You need to make up at least 17 cfm and will need to be able to power a true 7hp electric motor. Your tank size needs to be at least 80gl. You dont have to have a 2 stage, as all they really do is get the presurre higher(175) and when that happens you get more water in the system. You need volume, not really high pressure, to make a good system. If your current one is running out of air, get a smaller nozzle. It will work slower but you wont out of air as fast.

#22 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 10:29 AM

I forgot about this thread. I did finally get an air compressor. We have the 30 page thread to prove it too LOL. It is somewhere in the tool forum. Definitely a great investment and now the only time I have to stop sandblasting is when the pot runs out of sand.

#23 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 10:59 AM

What's an air compressor? :bigrofl: :D

#24 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 08:22 PM

I dun'no, what is an air compressor ??????:poke::D

#25 lowrider OFFLINE  

lowrider

• Member No: 5529
  • 1 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 01:08 AM

Lauber1, a mechanic who shares part of my shop building has built up one of these systems and I'm sure it uses air cooling, and it does not get lube oil externally. I will try to get information from him and pictures.

Lowrider

#26 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 07, 2011 - 09:20 PM

I can second looking for used/scrap ones. I bought 2 big air tanks with 2 stage compressors on them - one was gas powered, and the was electric. Neither pumped air when I got them. I rebuilt one already(Kellogg American) - just needed valves, which I got online for $20.00!

The second is a big ingersol rand - in line with the other projects to pull apart and see if I can get it going. If so, will trade it off since I only need 1.

As for the tanks, one was good and will be in service once the paint dries - the other was iffy, so it will become a big wood fired smoker come spring time!

By the way, these things are HEAVY!!!!!! if you look to get one, bring some muscle to load it up!!!