• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 16, 2010 - 08:03 PM

My little 20 gallon 5hp doesn't cut it when it comes time to sandblasting. I can only imagine how quick I could get the job done with the 2 stage that would keep up with it.

#2 joe OFFLINE  

joe

• Member No: 39
  • 2 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 04:33 PM

Look in the scap yards! I found a old 2 stage compressor all it needed was new belt's and a electic motor and I was good to go, I paid .10 a pound I think it was 350 or 400 pounds so the cost was $40 plus tax it was a great deal. Joe
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 05:06 PM

Look in the scap yards! I found a old 2 stage compressor all it needed was new belt's and a electic motor and I was good to go, I paid .10 a pound I think it was 350 or 400 pounds so the cost was $40 plus tax it was a great deal. Joe

That's great info, we don't have any scrap yards close by but I might have to make a trip. Just be nice if they were a little closer so I could keep a better eye on what was going through.

#4 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 17, 2010 - 10:36 PM

George. Joe is right that how I got mine I paid a little more tho. I unloaded it myself and almost kill me. it smash me in the door way it's a heavy sucker here a pic or 2
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 12:30 PM

I just replaced my compressor last fall. My new compressor is a twin piston 60gal with about 11.5cfm @90psi. That is about double the output of my old horizontal tank compressor 25gal. What a difference it makes using the blasting cabinet .... and all my other air tools, for that matter. The blasting cabinet is very air hungry and would still do better with a bigger compressor, but the new 60gal upright compressor I got was all I could afford. I found it on craigslist for about 1/2 retail, in like new condition.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 12:34 PM

I need to get serious about finding one because we have a lot of projects and at least three restorations I would like to get done this year. Going to be busy and that compressor I have now is going to probably die.

#7 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 12:55 PM

I need to get serious about finding one because we have a lot of projects and at least three restorations I would like to get done this year. Going to be busy and that compressor I have now is going to probably die.

I know what you mean. I used an open air blaster on the under side of my 65 fastback mustang with my old craftsman 25 gal. I ran the crap out of that thing. It would come on and never shut off for hours. I though it would either blow up or catch fire. That little thing just kept on chugging. I used and abused that thing for about 12 years and it refused to die.
Then, I finally got fed up with waiting for it all the time and replaced it. I hope the new one last as long....:p

#8 joe OFFLINE  

joe

• Member No: 39
  • 2 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 02:26 PM

George
good air compressor, wont have to worrie about it being slow
http://pittsburgh.cr...1579119017.html

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 02:42 PM

George
good air compressor, wont have to worrie about it being slow
http://pittsburgh.cr...1579119017.html

I don't think I would ever run that thing out of air, my neighbors might not like it though :rofl2:

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 02:44 PM

That reminds me, I work for a construction supply place and they rent equipment. I borrowed one of the pull behind air compressors and the commercial sandblaster and 6 100lb bags of sandblast sand. I went through all 6 bags of sand in less then 20 minutes and only got 1/2 of a frame done LOL

#11 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 05:51 PM

That reminds me, I work for a construction supply place and they rent equipment. I borrowed one of the pull behind air compressors and the commercial sandblaster and 6 100lb bags of sandblast sand. I went through all 6 bags of sand in less then 20 minutes and only got 1/2 of a frame done LOL

Something wasn't right. 600lbs of sand should have sandblasted everything in sight....

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 06:11 PM

Something wasn't right. 600lbs of sand should have sandblasted everything in sight....

Ya there was something wrong, operator error working with too big of a toy and the nozzle was worn out but I didn't have a replacement.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 - 07:11 PM

My compressor is same as Todd's... twin piston 60gal with about 11.5cfm @90psi. I can't sandblast very long at a time without the air dropping pretty low, but it does decent. Now the farm compressor is only 100' away from my personal shop with my blast cabinet. I am thinking of getting 100' of air hose & lin king the 2 compressors when I'm doing a lot of cabinet blasting. The farm compressor is a 2 stage set at 150psi, so I would use an inline regulator to set the psi down to match my compressor, then I figure I could blast all day long with plenty of air. I need to get this done soon.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 21, 2010 - 03:04 PM

While at TSC today, I bought 50' of air line so I can tie the 2 compressors together. Can't wait to try it, but will be another day. Almost chore time on the dairy. It will be awesome to blast away without waiting for compressor to keep up.:thumbs:

#15 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 21, 2010 - 04:35 PM

Wow here's a good deal if you have 3 phase. That about what you would for a good one tsc. Check it out wish I had that for doing body and paint James http://pittsburgh.cr...1568881943.html